WTB: V2 chainstay

brokemyback

I need a V2 Vendetta chain stay. Preferably large size. But I am considering welding up an extension to a short or medium if I must. Thanks for sharing your spare parts!

Attachments

• ACE05EFA-C9EA-425B-932C-EF75C6E599FB.png
    ACE05EFA-C9EA-425B-932C-EF75C6E599FB.png
    842.6 KB · Views: 8
  • A2059F05-B81B-48C0-86A7-A268D5F6BCEC.jpeg
    A2059F05-B81B-48C0-86A7-A268D5F6BCEC.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 8

cruzKurt

I need a V2 Vendetta chain stay. Preferably large size. But I am considering welding up an extension to a short or medium if I must. Thanks for sharing your spare parts!
That would be a tough weld yes? That would be aluminum tubing, not sure of the quality or how to match to weld in an extension. Interested to hear your thoughts on how you would extend it.

brokemyback

I only had a few minutes to inspect the chain stay on this bike (that I'm going to buy if I can get this problem sorted). The long tubes appear oval cross section, so they're not easy to splice. I'm thinking I would make a cut between wheel axle and the stiffener cross-bar (closer to the axle). Then possibly coldwork the existing tubes to round cross sections, and slide two extension tubes over the outside, and weld them into place. Or smash the splice tubes into an oval. Of course I have to find some reasonably thin-walled weldable alloy tubing for the extensions. I assume the chain stay tubes are weldable alloy - since they were welded during construction. (6061?). Pretty much a PITA. Unless somebody offers up a long chain stay - that will be my only option. It is frustrating to consider buying a bike and immediately start cutting it apart !@%

cruzKurt

That would be a tough weld yes? That would be aluminum tubing, not sure of the quality or how to match to weld in an extension. Interested to hear your thoughts on how you would extend it.
I only had a few minutes to inspect the chain stay on this bike (that I'm going to buy if I can get this problem sorted). The long tubes appear oval cross section, so they're not easy to splice. I'm thinking I would make a cut between wheel axle and the stiffener cross-bar (closer to the axle). Then possibly coldwork the existing tubes to round cross sections, and slide two extension tubes over the outside, and weld them into place. Or smash the splice tubes into an oval. Of course I have to find some reasonably thin-walled weldable alloy tubing for the extensions. I assume the chain stay tubes are weldable alloy - since they were welded during construction. (6061?). Pretty much a PITA. Unless somebody offers up a long chain stay - that will be my only option. It is frustrating to consider buying a bike and immediately start cutting it apart !@%