Zip tie fork/chainstay; maiden voyage

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
The weather is finally good today, after what seems like eternal rain and coldness. Last night I took the S40 off the trainer and put the front wheel back on. A couple observations:

1. When I put the S40 on the trainer back in November, it was a little disastrous. The fork and chainstay fell apart, and the derailleur came off with the chain all twisted. It took me a while to figure out how to put everything back. Then I read somewhere on this forum that someone zip tied the fork and chainstay together right above the skewer. I did that and wasn't sure if it will work. I am happy to report that it worked. Fork and chainstay did not fall apart when I took the bike off the trainer. I would highly recommend that trick to everyone.

2. I also realized that it's a pain to put the wheel back on. I ended up flipping the bike up side down. So much easier.

Today I rode in the neighborhood for about 45 min. It's the first time I ride the bike outside after I took delivery of the bike back in October and had to stop practicing after an hour as the perpetual rain started. I guess it's now quite obvious as I realized that riding on the trainer for the past 3-4 months was completely different than riding outside. I was wobbly all over the place, but at least I clipped on immediately and found it helpful. I am now thinking I need to practice a lot more than I had anticipated before I can ride from Seattle to Vancouver BC in August. :)

Reactions: Suz

Suz

That’s plenty of time to get the wobbles out. Sounds like a fun ride. You have the Ratz training guide right?
I thought it was so odd riding the bike on the trainer after riding outside. I wanted to pull the handlebars side to side - ha. Had to ride with my hands off the handlebars for awhile.
Good luck.

Bill K

Guru
I am now thinking I need to practice a lot more than I had anticipated before I can ride from Seattle to Vancouver BC in August.
Sounds like you are doing RSVP: Ride from Seattle to Vancouver and Party. Much better than riding indoors! And like @Suz says, plenty of time to get up to speed. Sounds like pure fun.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Thank you Suz and Bill! I am planning to follow Ratz' guide. I probably won't be able to keep up with my friends' fast group to Vancouver, but hopefully I can stay in the slow group with the other friend and his 12 yr old kid. I rode the trip 2 years ago, and it was a lot of fun .

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
It's finally sunny this weekend. I ventured to take the S40 out of the subdivision and rode on the local bike trail. On my way to the bike trail, I actually spotted a Vendetta going north on East Lake Sammamish Rd! That must be an experienced rider as he/she was very steady even next to cars going by at 40mph.
I rode about 15 mi. Still quite wobbly and will stay on trail for a while and not riding on roads. Here are my observations and question...
1. I had to tweak FD a few times as the chain started dropping when shifting from 34 to 50. Finally adjusted the cable tension correctly. This also leads to #2.
2. I need to get my chain waxed so that my fingers don't get all black/greasy when I had to pick up the chain.
3. I pre-made shoulder support and lumbar support using shaped foam blocks and foam cutter. I like the shoulder support so that my neck doesn't rest on the headrest because it seems that I can steer the bike better. However, the shoulder does get tired after a while. So I am still testing this out whether to ride with headrest or with shoulder support without headrest.

Question... my tail bone was sore at the end of the trip even though not as bad as my sit bones when I ride a DF bike. I guess a lot of weight is concentrated there as it's where the seat curves. Is this soreness normal?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I would buy a Ventilist comfort seat pad as it compresses slightly when going over bumps, AND has very good air circulation!

It could also be that the but muscles are not used to being worked out with your legs in this new position!

Bruce B

I have not seen it mentioned before but I believe that the Ventisit pad actually breaks in over time. I have had the comfort model on my red V20 since Nov. 2014 and it feels softer now than when it was new.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Question... my tail bone was sore at the end of the trip even though not as bad as my sit bones when I ride a DF bike. I guess a lot of weight is concentrated there as it's where the seat curves. Is this soreness normal?

Holy crap I can't express how much I struggled with that pain trying every type of seat foam under the sun. It completely disappeared when I went to the ventist pad and Thor seat. I can't say if one or the other would have solved the problem on it's own because I made both changes at the same time.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Does the Thor seat have more dish to the seat portion? I find that on the stock CB seat I tend to slide forward a bit as I ride and have to push back up from time to time.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Does the Thor seat have more dish to the seat portion? I find that on the stock CB seat I tend to slide forward a bit as I ride and have to push back up from time to time.

They do have more of a round butt shape vs the more soft strait bend of the CB seats.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Holy crap I can't express how much I struggled with that pain trying every type of seat foam under the sun. It completely disappeared when I went to the ventist pad and Thor seat. I can't say if one or the other would have solved the problem on it's own because I made both changes at the same time.
That's good to know. I will have to keep the Thor seat in mind. I am just annoyed that I have to pay more for Thor seat and spend more hours to install it rather than just riding the bike.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I'm thinking about a Thor seat too for my Silvio 2.0. I am 5' 10" and a bit on the large size (214lbs working on that). Would you be willing to share your recommendations re: which model you purchased and why?

TIA