Zwift Newbie experience

ed72

Zen MBB Master
A couple forum members have been encouraging me to Zwift. I am not a video game player and was somewhat biased against it. It was not all that hard to get going. I connect my Powertap hub and bluetooth heart rate strap to the Zwift application on my laptop. It is almost idiot proof. A smart trainer is probably easiest.

Pollock and TRP had to usher (corral) me into the correct Pen and help me get my phone connected to talk to the group during races but it was pretty easy. They both helped me a lot.

My overall motivation was simply to get back into shape and to give me another option for a ride. One thing is for sure, I find that Zwift provides a quicker and harder workout if you want one than doing a ride outside. To that end, my 20 minute power is up 9% in 4 weeks. With respect to racing, there are some differences to racing in the real world. For instance, there is range of power levels where you will stay behind another rider's draft and there is a sticky draft aspect that is just different. There is also some delay and when in a pack racing, I supposed looking at your competitor's power shown on the screen is more effective than watching the bodies. I am too new and not sure, but it is one difference that is worth mentioning. It is probably a mistake to compare racing in Zwift to real world racing, but I would say the draft in Zwift is much less and the starts are brutally difficult because everyone just goes full throttle.

I have had the pleasure of racing three times with the Cruzbike High Speed group in the World TTT on Thursday evenings and it is a lot of fun but definitely a workout. The time trial is fairly realistic.

The speeds sometimes seem unrealistic or certainly compared to the real world for me. That could possibly be because when you first start out at lower levels, you get a slower bike. With miles, time, and climbing elevation, one earns points and can buy better wheels, frame, or even a Tron thingie bike. I have not figured much of it out yet, but when you do a casual ride and people sit on your wheel, they give you thumbs up or atta boys and I think this also adds to your ability to upgrade your ride. Basically, you get points for all sorts of things. These points get you a faster ride.

The data provided on your power levels is accurate albeit pretty basic if one is accustomed to GoldenCheetah or even TrainingPeaks. But I don't think data analysis is the main thrust.

In my view, Zwift seems like a good alternative/adjunct to road riding especially as winter, dampness, and darkness sets in. In terms of workout quality, it is better. There are no stop signs or redlights or cars to mess you up. In terms of sights, you can ride in London, Paris, Innsbruck in Zwift but you have not lived until you ride around the etoile arc de triomphe in Paris at rush hour. Trust me. So, yes. Safer. Better? Debatable. It ain't bad.

Zwift let's you try it for free for 7 days and cancel without penalty. At $15 per month, I figured I did not have much to lose. If anyone is on the fence, give it a go. It seems to be getting me back into shape.

David Risley

Good writeup and accurate assessment. I, too, am new to the team time trial experience (team Low Drag, the developmental part of the broader Team Cruzbike) and find the team experience enjoyable and the racing to be a great workout.

When indoor riding, for variety I sometimes switch from Zwift to Rouvy for a more realistic riding experience. For the team racing experience, however, Zwift reigns supreme.

I'm glad you are having a good experience. It gets better and better.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
That is impressive, especially from a guy who accurately tracks his numbers. And, just wait, you haven't joined our B boys in Latte yet!
Thanks.....I am barely midpack in C category races with 2.8W/kg off FTP, have a long ways to get to 3.2 watts/kg. Mostly need to lose fat. Here is the data to prove my 9% increase.....just in case anyone doubts it.

upload_2020-10-22_11-48-4.png

Last edited:
Being a C rider is perfect for Latte. In the Latte division for this WTRL TTT, you can field a maximum of 3 B cat riders and as many C or D cat riders as you like. @trplay has been talking with our B cat riders that are ready to step in and work with you all. As a mid-C, you would then switch from doing a lot of the pulls in Mocha to doing more drafting in Latte.