Looking for Ultra Distance Event Preparation Advice

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I am not sure of my calorie consumption as I am just getting into +200km rides, but I will be learning more as I start covering longer distances. I've got a 50mm front and an 80mm rear now that would work. I have changed the bearings in them a couple of times, and usually get about 10,000-12,000km out of a set, but even faster wheels might find their way onto the V20. The bad thing about having different depth wheels is the stem length on the spare tubes. Too long for the 50mm and drag increases. Too short for the 80mm and you are screwed. At first, flats on the front wheel had me nervous because I didn't know how to get the wheel back on the bike efficiently. But that is not an issue now.

When you get a power meter, you will be able to very accurately know how much energy you put out over the course of a ride.

For basic guidance, Coach John Hughes has some pretty good books and online papers. If you want to train without a powermeter, I think his pacing guidelines are very good. For instance, he describes digestion pace. As we all know, you can't eat when going full throttle but what is the pace that you can ride and digest fairly well.

Some racers have tried to model what percentage of FTP you should start at and then at what rate it bleeds down to a relatively low value that you can sustain for a long, long time. The cause of this fatigue isn't entirely known. For top racers, they might start a 24H race at 70% of FTP and finish at 50-55% of FTP. Of course, someone like Chrisoph Strasser has an FTP of 420, so looking at his online Strave files, it is easy to think he is riding very hard at 290-295 watts but that is an easy level for him. Let's say someone's FTP is 250 watts, they should probably keep it to maybe 175 watts in a very long event but will be down to more like 115 watts as things progress. It is important to accept but also not push too hard, too early when it is very easy to do so. There is a very bright engineer (Dave Brillhart) who won the 444 mile Natchez Trace race, he wrote an AP for the Garmin that models this power and also things like when to drink and eat with popups. I am not saying anyone needs such a tool, but learning one's limits is very important and just takes experience. Randonneuring is probably the easiest and most accessible venue to do that.

jond

Zen MBB Master
When you get a power meter, you will be able to very accurately know how much energy you put out over the course of a ride.

For basic guidance, Coach John Hughes has some pretty good books and online papers. If you want to train without a powermeter, I think his pacing guidelines are very good. For instance, he describes digestion pace. As we all know, you can't eat when going full throttle but what is the pace that you can ride and digest fairly well.

Some racers have tried to model what percentage of FTP you should start at and then at what rate it bleeds down to a relatively low value that you can sustain for a long, long time. The cause of this fatigue isn't entirely known. For top racers, they might start a 24H race at 70% of FTP and finish at 50-55% of FTP. Of course, someone like Chrisoph Strasser has an FTP of 420, so looking at his online Strave files, it is easy to think he is riding very hard at 290-295 watts but that is an easy level for him. Let's say someone's FTP is 250 watts, they should probably keep it to maybe 175 watts in a very long event but will be down to more like 115 watts as things progress. It is important to accept but also not push too hard, too early when it is very easy to do so. There is a very bright engineer (Dave Brillhart) who won the 444 mile Natchez Trace race, he wrote an AP for the Garmin that models this power and also things like when to drink and eat with popups. I am not saying anyone needs such a tool, but learning one's limits is very important and just takes experience. Randonneuring is probably the easiest and most accessible venue to do that.

ed that is THE advice. Great stuff. Because it simply works with minor individual variations dependent upon what your gut does for you.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I am not sure of my calorie consumption as I am just getting into +200km rides, but I will be learning more as I start covering longer distances. I've got a 50mm front and an 80mm rear now that would work. I have changed the bearings in them a couple of times, and usually get about 10,000-12,000km out of a set, but even faster wheels might find their way onto the V20. The bad thing about having different depth wheels is the stem length on the spare tubes. Too long for the 50mm and drag increases. Too short for the 80mm and you are screwed. At first, flats on the front wheel had me nervous because I didn't know how to get the wheel back on the bike efficiently. But that is not an issue now.

just by extenders. That way any tube is good to go.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master

Thanks for telling me of coach John Hughes. I read some of his info that is available on his web page. I also found a pdf of his Distance Cycling book. That one has a lot of useful information too.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Anyone thinking of doing any of the long events scheduled for 2022 such as the TABR, Bike Nonstop US, Tour Divide, Trans-Continental, or any in other countries?

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Anyone thinking of doing any of the long events scheduled for 2022 such as the TABR, Bike Nonstop US, Tour Divide, Trans-Continental, or any in other countries?

I was planning on racing the Race Around the Netherlands in May 2022 but I got pretty busted up in a crash a couple weeks ago, so, probably won't make that one and it I do, I'd probably be a slow poke.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Sorry to hear you were busted up in a crash ed72. I hope you are recovering well and can get back on the bike soon. That would be an epic ride, and I think that even if you did it slowly you should still do it. Some mates and I were discussing trips, and among them were around Iceland, around Ireland, from Croatia to Italy, and across part of Canada, but those would be slow, but fun rides with a big focus on drinking and eating well.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thanks braddah. I really would like to get some trips across parts of Japan in, and I just might be able to since Tokyo is hovering around 200 new Corona cases/day. Until then though, I will just have to tweak the position and get some more legs. My 2 new boxes of bearings should be here on Monday or Tuesday so I can't wait to get the disc wheel on.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I am looking to do ultra distance events in 2022 and am looking for advice for them including training, bike setup, components, nutrition/hydration, what to pack and anything else you feel is important to not only finishing but doing well in them, especially from those who have done them. I don't have a home trainer or a power meter but I may get a PM in the near future, so all of my training rides will likely be on my V20. Thanks in advance,
The Frito Bandit :D

Since this post is in the " Zwift indoor racing and Training " category, I'll guess you are really looking for Zwifter advice for an endurance event coming up in your future. Yes, Zwift can help and help a lot. In fact, there are several regular endurance rides/ events on the docket. There is an entire group focussed on just that. Try this link and Zwift on! Zwift and the long ride.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thank you for the invite trplay :D Yes, it is in the "Zwift indoor racing and Training" category, but that was my mistake. I saw "Training" and somehow felt that was the best place to place the thread. I am not sure if what I currently have will let me ride on Zwift, but what I do have is a fluid trainer and a 4iiii PM. Another thing I have to consider is the time zone since I am in Tokyo.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
You have something like 15 time zones to pick from. Plenty of teams racing from Japan times suitable for the Island. Join one and we will adopt that team as we do the Flamingo and Margaritas because our Recumbent women race there.

tokyo.jpg

@Frito Bandito if you can broadcast your power meter and pick it up in Zwift, then that works. You do not need a smart trainer to ride or race.

you will want to know if your power meter uses ANT, Bluetooth or both. Then understand how to receive that on your PC, phone, tablet or AppleTV.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thank you Pollock. I wasn't sure which my 4iiii uses, but found just now that it uses ANT and Bluetooth to connect to my iPhone8. I have never used Zwift before, and to be honest, I have never really ridden fast with a group, so I have no idea about tactics.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Thank you Pollock. I wasn't sure which my 4iiii uses, but found just now that it uses ANT and Bluetooth to connect to my iPhone8. I have never used Zwift before, and to be honest, I have never really ridden fast with a group, so I have no idea about tactics.
You are smart. You can pick up the tactics or at minimum follow direction the first few races until we get you trained up. Zwift is great for training when the weather says no go but even better for riding with new and old friends around the world. 4iii are a great company. Do you have a heart rate monitor? Some races require them too.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thank you Benphyr. I seem smart, but that is because I re-read what I write before clicking "Post reply." Well, most of the time anyways :D Yes, I do have a HR monitor. I also have a Wahoo Bolt, but I don't know if that is needed for anything. I suppose I'll need to weigh myself (about 77kg) and probably give my FTP (about 260w according to a recent Strava ride in which I gave it the beans). I think I am at about 3.4w/kg now.

Getting set up should be straight forward then. You would use a Windows PC, Mac laptop, iPad or AppleTV to run Zwift itself (which ever of those you have). Keep your phone on the same network (wifi) as your Zwift device. Install Zwift Companion on your phone and pair your 4iii and HR monitor to your phone / Zwift Companion. Yes, you could pair to your Zwift device, but that may be more complicated (e.g. Windows).

Then just put your bike on your trainer, adjust the resistance as per manufacturer specs (2.5 turns?), turn on Zwift, turn on Zwift Companion, pair your PM and HR (first time only really). Zwift should show your HR and power data. You could add cadence if you wanted it.

come race time, you will want discord if you are on a team. You can pick where to run it; everyone is different.

For my setup, I have Zwift on iPad with trainer power, HR and cadence paired to it over Bluetooth. I run discord on my phone with a Bluetooth headset (Aftershockz, it anything that works). Always run 1 or 2 fans while racing.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I just completed registration for the Trans Am Bike Race.

https://transambikerace.com/2021-inquiry/

Let's see if I am selected. If I am not then I might do the PABR (Pacific-Atlantic Bike Race) instead.
I am vaccinated, going to get the booster in February-ish regardless.

You'll get in. GL. There is another past racer on this forum (aside from me) who did it. I forget his screen name and using his real name is probably not cool. I am sure we both would answer any question you might have.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
You'll get in. GL. There is another past racer on this forum (aside from me) who did it. I forget his screen name and using his real name is probably not cool. I am sure we both would answer any question you might have.

Thanks Ed72. I really appreciate it. Sorry for the late reply. It the holiday season. .

There are 2 or more other guys on here that I read posts who have done the TABR if I am not mistaken. Other than being selected I have to see what Japan's quarantine regulations are reasonably expected to be at that time, can I take 6 weeks off (1 month for the race and 2 weeks for quarantine once I return), will I ship my current V20 or fly up a few days to get a new 1 fitted that I will buy in the US and ship to my brother to hold until I arrive...?

As for questions I suppose I have more than a few. Learning what worked and didn't work from those who did it would helps tons. I have read a few blogs, Coaches tips and of course the TABR website and gotten some ideas from those, but here is what I am thinking so far...

I know it will be much more expensive, but I am thinking of staying in hotels as much as possible. But in the event of rooms being unavailable bringing something along a bivy, or something such as the Nemo Gogo Elite, an ultralight sleeping pad. I'd rather go as light as possible like Jond wrote. I know that some racers have slept at Fire Departments, Post Offices and churches. But what are other options for sleeping?

Other things such a power for lights/cellphone/cycling computer. I am not really interested in using a dynamo, so it'll likely be rechargeable power banks that I recharge when I sleep or eat. I have one 10,000mAh bank already but I think an additional 20,000mAh would be enough. I don't plan on that much night riding but who knows?
Getting a US iPhone plan is a must to save on international roaming charges and for backup mapping

As for clothing, I would prefer going West to East which would mean cold weather riding for about the first 1/3, so which Post Office do people send stuff to to switch over to warmer weather riding?

Now I have an older Wahoo Bolt that has breadcrumbs for navigation, but that isn't enough IMO. The new Bolt has more so it might be enough, but is there a better option?

I guess those are a start :D