Sebring 12/24 is on for 2022!

ed72

Zen MBB Master
ED
Thanks for your reply.
Would you have a photo of Sebring's "timing" strips ...?

So sorry for your neck. Might research Saunders Device, 'neck stretcher' ... REALLY helps my spinal neck compression ...
ID

Sorry, I don't. I looked online and did not see any. They are kind of like these. The timing sensor runs over the top of the speed bump. I probably should have kept my mouth shut, I doubt anyone else minds them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vestil-...RCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-205720760-_-205720749-_-N&

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
ED
Definitely not something I would enjoy BUMPING over either.
How many times ?
Yuk ...
Probably can't afford the electronic light beam breaker with their inexpensive entry fee ...
ID

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Definitely not something I would enjoy BUMPING over either.
How many times ?
In the past, they have put them up in 3 locations for he day-time -10 Mile loop, so about every 3 miles.
Then at night on the racetrack you have to run over it once every 3.5 miles or so.
It is really horrible on a bent.
These timing systems are made for runners.
You don't need a light beam system. They make very low profile systems that are much nicer for cyclists. They are a little more expensive but not much
I sure hope they change - It does not make it a very "fun" ride!

In the past, they have put them up in 3 locations for he day-time -10 Mile loop, so about every 3 miles.
Then at night on the racetrack you have to run over it once every 3.5 miles or so.
It is really horrible on a bent.
These timing systems are made for runners.
You don't need a light beam system. They make very low profile systems that are much nicer for cyclists. They are a little more expensive but not much
I sure hope they change - It does not make it a very "fun" ride!
I just googled “cycling timing system”. There’s no shortage of options.

ccf

Guru
I don’t understand why they need the speed bump. Can someone explain that?

Other races I’ve done either use a RFID tag in the paper number mounted on the bike, or a “cable” that you run over.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member

Other races I’ve done either use a RFID tag in the paper number mounted on the bike, or a “cable” that you run over.

THIS

Unless it's on purpose to slow everyone down.

Rick Moore

For those of you who have done the Sebring 24 hours, I have a couple questions:
1. Do they light the track at night so you don’t need lights?
2. If you do need lights, what are the requirements?
3. How much did the timing strip bumps slow you down?

LarryOz

I have a couple questions:
They put a small red light along the center line of the road and turns every 100' feet or so around the course. In the past, some riders hit them and move them around causing slight issues.

I don't think they publish any requirements. You are allowed to use whatever you want.

It depends on how much you want you back to hurt I guess. I would guess you need to slow down to under 10mph for it to not be too bad.
It is a pain if you are going 20+ mph and then have to slow down to 10 for them and then speed back up quickly again. It is like doing a sprint every 3.5 miles.
I am still hoping and praying they use another system!

LarryOz

It is part of the system and I think it protects the wiring underneath. I am not sure if the receivers are actually built into the bump itself or if it is just a plastic piece that protects the wires and such

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Nothing like having your teeth clack at every lap eh? Maybe they are in cahoots with the local dentists for a share of the increased dental work post race.

This is a major downside of ‘bent riding, the inability to hop or float over bumps. Of course, the event doesn’t need to use a large bump designed for cars.
FCAA1E71-0E49-43FC-95DE-6347BED09282.png

Reactions: 3bs

Rick Moore

I have a couple questions:
They put a small red light along the center line of the road and turns every 100' feet or so around the course. In the past, some riders hit them and move them around causing slight issues.

I don't think they publish any requirements. You are allowed to use whatever you want.

It depends on how much you want you back to hurt I guess. I would guess you need to slow down to under 10mph for it to not be too bad.
It is a pain if you are going 20+ mph and then have to slow down to 10 for them and then speed back up quickly again. It is like doing a sprint every 3.5 miles.
I am still hoping and praying they use another system!

Thanks for the info Larry. It’s very helpful!

3bs

whereabouts unknown
that looks too big to do the "feet to shoulder" bridge method for bumps i use

LarryOz

Just saw the weather forecast for next weekend on Weather Underground. Reach your own conclusions. "Ughh" is mine.
I just looked at weather.com - Sat - 19th - low 53, high 80 partly cloudy 7% chance of rain - 6mph winds. Looks pretty nice to me.
Of course a lot can change in 9 days!
Sure beats the first time I did Sebring. Low around 30 far start and night riding on the track - made it a brutal 24-hour for me - which was my first . I was sadly un-prepared and a Cruzbike newbie to boot! 95 mins off the bike trying to keep warm. Plus I crashed at mile 421 with with about 40 mins left to ride. My first right torn rotator cuff - Had surgery a month later. I limped around the track for another 10 miles or so to finish up - but it was not pretty! :eek:

Jeffrey Ritter

Yeah, Larry, I am a bit embarrassed; I think I looked at a wrong location because I had been excited by the promising weather until yesterday. It looks wonderful. Sadly, however, I will not be in attendance. I want to wish everyone racing the best of luck--it looks like it could be a terrific day. I'll be cheering for everyone from Durham, NC.

BJ686

Looks like an incredible day for Cruzbike and its riders. Jim P with the recumbent record in the 100, and second overall. Cliff F with the 12 hour recumbent record (and second overall only to a velo), and Maria P with first overall in the 12 hour and mighty close to record pace. Guessing there were other Cruzbikers too, and would be interested to hear how their day went. Looks like Larry had to stop early---hope he is OK.

Looking forward to some write ups.