Welcome to the new spot to talk about ZWIFT

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Zwift has become a very important part of many Cruzbike owners winter training, especially in this time of a pandemic. Riding a bike on an indoor trainer is notoriously dull. Zwift, with its colorful worlds and avatars, makes riding indoors really fun. It can also provide a very satisfying social connection to other riders.

Races on Zwift are attracting everyone from beginners to professionals. You can go solo in a time trail, or join a team. I have enjoyed doing both. Other times I just feel like climbing a mountain while watching a movie. I'll put Zwift on in the background and get some great cardio while catching up on the latest Netflix movies.

Maria and I use V20s for Zwifting, and have dedicated some space in Cruzbike HQ for our workouts and races. The advice and help from many people in the Cruzbike community have been invaluable, with special thanks to Henry "Hardy" Swinson (@trplay) for all the encouragement and organization. Getting a smart trainer, setting up Bluetooth, a powerful fan, TV connections, etc. takes a lot of effort, but it's been worth it.

Any Cruzbike will work with Zwift. They have all the advantages that recumbents have on the road (more comfort and less harmful pressure on the perineum, wrists, neck, etc.). But they have the added advantage of keeping your expensive trainer and your entire drivetrain in front of, rather than underneath, your sweaty body. Sweat is high in salt and is very corrosive. So your trainer, chain, cassette, chainrings, and derailleurs will last longer. If you are thinking about getting into indoor cycling, CRUZBIKE + ZWIFT makes a great combination.

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Thank you Cruzbike for providing us this space. We plan to use it! Jim makes an excellent point that I have never thought about. Its obvious that the Recumbent position is great for indoor trainers but the advantage of the FWD for indoor training is Huge. The sweat factor is a serious concern when Zwifting. If you Zwift you know what I mean, if you don't you need to experience it to understand. Having the fan in front blowing keeps the drive train and expensive trainer clear of sweat. My neo has 3 air intakes, not good for the electronics with a trainer on the back. No bull, It is very reasonable to say the Cruzbike setup is an ideal one with the Drive train and trainer forward.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Have never been a fan of the basement trainer workout. Fastest way to turn a good 90-minute college basketball game into something that seems to take hours. But I have to say, Zwift does certainly make for a much better workout (as opposed to just hopping on and hammering in the dark) and makes time pass much faster. Since starting Zwift this winter my average trainer sessions are lasting significantly longer. I’m getting much better workouts.

And thank you to @trplay and others for helping me get set up. Unfortunately the TTT timing just doesn’t work with my schedule but I am enjoying the Z workouts rather than dreading trainer sessions!

Now we just have to get that CB bike animation!

Just always remember rule #1 of any trainer workout - first turn on the fan!

DocS

Guru
This is awesome!
I have yet to purchase my smart trainer, let alone ride on Zwift, but I got my wife's approval to get a trainer!!!

I hate riding in the dark and in the rain, but I need to ride...
I also have Asthma and have experienced some issues riding in the cold with lots of winter pollen in the air (Mountain Cedar).

I have a little room in my garage and a big industrial fan, so I guess I need to get a trainer...
I think I've decided on a Wahoo KickR Core. I have rim brakes on my Vendetta, so I guess I'll be using it.

I guess it's time to just make the investment now...

I'm so happy to see this section!

Blessings,
Rudy (AKA DocS)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
May as well get yourself a login for wtrl.racing and Discord app for your favourite device because you just became primary target for next rider (err sucker/victor) of @trplay and the Cruzbike Racing teams.

Come join us for the WTRL Team Time Trials on Thursdays or the Zwift Racing League on Tuesdays. Spots available. Rain, dark, pollen, pollution- it doesn’t matter what your garage is like - we’ll ride with you.

DocS

Guru
I haven't ridden in a month! During the last ride I did (36 miles), at about the 1/2 way mark, had an Asthma Attack... Limped my way back...

I'm looking forward to getting my Pain Cave set up!

Phantomrider

Hurry Doc hurry. I’m running my V on a kicker core as well - no issues except I had to remove the disc brake caliper but it’s only 2 bolts so no biggie.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Come on Doc we'll leave the light on for you. You can start with loading Discord now. This might help reduce the data overload. You can even listen in on tomorrows race.

Phantomrider

Come on Doc we'll leave the light on for you. You can start with loading Discord now. This might help reduce the data overload. You can even listen in on tomorrows race.
Hey Henry, you know that’s another Texas rider added to the list:) I’m thinking that makes 5

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
My basement is pretty much a dank hole - dank and low ceiling hole. Having a PJ and Zwift setup - on an 85" screen in front of me - is like riding off into the virtual world. Its awesome.

And I need to get back to it! (Been too bust to even ride the last few weeks)

:-(

DocS

Guru
I gotta get my trainer here first :)
Lots of enthusiasm!
I can't wait to get started!

What is Discord and where do I download it from?

Blessings,
Rudy

trplay

Zen MBB Master
What is Discord and where do I download it from?
Rudy

This is your invite to join the Cruzbike Discord channel. It is a gamer app used for communicating to each other during the races. You have all four servers in the invite, High Speed, Low Drag, 3K2Cure, and Vendettas. I normally leave mine on so people can test their system. If I hear you call it might take a few seconds to get to you as I'm not actually at the computer. Link below.
https://discord.gg/Xdz4sF2

You can run discord on a computer (Mac or PC) as well as any mobile device. We have riders using every combination.

* Run Zwift and discord on the same PC or Mac
* Run Zwift on PC or Mac and discord on a mobile / tablet device
* Run Zwift on a tablet and discord on a mobile

I am sure you can come up with more variations :) Where you install discord from will depend on where you are installing it to. For a PC or Mac, go to https://discord.com/download. For a mobile / tablet, just go to the app store for you device to install it.

NeaL

Guru
I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a new Wahoo Kickr. Or Kickr Core, what's the difference other than price???
Are there any other accessories from the Wahoo website which are must-haves? Most of those things, I have no idea what they are for.

I've never owned a dumb trainer before, let alone a smart one.

I have a Sofrider gathering dust in the garage, which I'm going to use until I find a V20 frame for dedicated indoor set-up.

What do I need next, a big screen? A laptop? I've been looking at some fairly inexpensive laptops at Walmart. This computer would be mainly just for Zwift and TrainerRoad types of uses.

I have only seen Zwift & Kickr in person at the 2018 Cruzbike Ride Retreat at White Lake.

There are a few differences between the Kickr and the Core. The Kickr has a higher max wattage, I think a higher gradient potential, cadence sensor(?) and feet that allow the bike to sway a bit left/right. I'm sure there are more differences. Unless you are an A rider or think you will be an A rider soon, the Core will probably cover what you need.

As for accessories, I would recommend a cadence sensor, heart rate monitor (arm band/chest strap) and 2 fans.

Zwift runs on Windows, macOS, iPhone/iPad, AppleTV and I think Android devices. Many of us run it on Windows, AppleTV or iPad and any of those work well. You will want the companion app installed somewhere, but you don't really need it while riding. I would recommend having some way to use discord (I use my phone + headset).