Welcome to the new spot to talk about ZWIFT

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Josh is all over it. The Core is a good choice of many. It does have a cadence sensor built inside. I think the core gradient measures up to 10% while the Kickr might be over 20%. With each new model, it changes so I can't keep up with it. This means your legs will feel the climbs more with the Kickr but not the watts you need to get up the hill on the really steep stuff (hint, no one rides there)? I don't know how that works. The math boys seem to understand but I think it's voo-d0. The funny part about the gradient is the vast majority of high-end purchasers get the most gradient they can buy and then immediately use a little slider called a difficulty slider to reduce the gradient. Just saying?? If you plan to buy a laptop for Zwift the ATV is an option you should at least look into first. Lots of happy ATV users out there. I don't think this will help you with trainer road though. As far as size screens--You can run it off a smartphone up to the largest big screen. The best experience will be the biggest screen. Lots of difference. Let your budget and location decide.

NeaL

Guru
Unless you are an A rider or think you will be an A rider soon, the Core will probably cover what you need.

I probably don't even need a V20 frame, honestly. A recumbent HUFFY would suffice.
I don't know what an A rider is but I'm sorta going for the best of the best in each component so that the only limitation is, me. I'll get a Kickr, then.

As for accessories, I would recommend a cadence sensor, heart rate monitor (arm band/chest strap) and 2 fans.

I was referring to accessories specific from the Wahoo website. That's where I'm ordering my Kickr from, unless anyone suggests getting one from someplace else.
You recommend two of their Kickr Headwind bluetooth fans? Or do you mean, any retail store electric fans will do?

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices

NeaL

Guru
If you plan to buy a laptop for Zwift the ATV is an option you should at least look into first. Lots of happy ATV users out there. I don't think this will help you with trainer road though.

I tried Googling for this "ATV" in relation to indoor bike trainers and all I'm finding has to do with All Terrain Vehicles. More context, please?

Nevermind, found it. Apple TV.

All I have for an internet connection out where I live is a 3G Wi-Fi hotspot. I think the next best option is wait until Elon Musk's Starlink is more up and running and the price starts to hopefully come down.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I was referring to accessories specific from the Wahoo website. That's where I'm ordering my Kickr from, unless anyone suggests getting one from someplace else. You recommend two of their Kickr Headwind bluetooth fans? Or do you mean, any retail store electric fans will do?
https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices

I personally would buy from an LBS. This is why. If you have problems you walk into the store and they hand you another one. At least mine will. I believe the prices will be the same over the net or LBS. I don't think he meant two Headwinds. Those are pricey, I believe I would go with the kicker first and buy a $60 carpet drying industrial fan first but that's me. Fan noise is important. I know, I know, you have no plans to talk via discord with yahoos from around the world. Nobody else did either but here we are. The less noise in your pain cave the better for commo. This is another big advantage of the wahoo/ TACX NEO brands and quiet fans. Here an old video of our fans, we have one each they put out a huge amount of air wish they were a bit quieter, but hey?. I have a $9 remote plug so I can turn them off and on while riding the bike and daisy chain them together saving outlets. If you have the money the Headwind is nice. But, those high pitch little screamer fans you see out there are to be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Yup. Any fan will help. The quieter squirrel cage type such as shown above blow more air with less noise. Buying brand name bike specific for fan makes a donation to the vendor - a hardware store should have one that matches the decor in the garage or basement and makes your wallet smile.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
The accessories mentioned that you might want to collect from a bike store or supplier if you don’t have them already are heart rate monitor and cadence sensor that communicates to Zwift via ANT+ or Bluetooth or via your phone to Zwift.

Neither of these are necessary to get started and you may have them or they may come with.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
This is your invite to join the Cruzbike Discord channel. It is a gamer app used for communicating to each other during the races. You have all four servers in the invite, High Speed, Low Drag, 3K2Cure, and Vendettas. I normally leave mine on so people can test their system. If I hear you call it might take a few seconds to get to you as I'm not actually at the computer. Link below.
https://discord.gg/Xdz4sF2
The link above is no longer valid. Can you post a new one?

Just found the Forum. I am set up to use Zwift and also use TrainerRoad for the Training Plan workouts.
Am still sorting out all the moving parts so everything works accurately. My cadence sems to understate the rpm.
When I tried to use Ant+ and my garmin, it seems the RF interference might be was causing the variability in both.Cadence and Watts.
Still learning how to use Zwift. Tried to sign into the Discord Server. The jury is out on that.

Art

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Just found the Forum. I am set up to use Zwift and also use TrainerRoad for the Training Plan workouts.
Am still sorting out all the moving parts so everything works accurately. My cadence sems to understate the rpm.
When I tried to use Ant+ and my garmin, it seems the RF interference might be was causing the variability in both.Cadence and Watts.
Still learning how to use Zwift. Tried to sign into the Discord Server. The jury is out on that.

Art
Art I just saw this. Here is an invite to the Cruzbike server. Join it and peruse the site. It will tell you everything you need to know. Leave a message on the Discord #forum and I will get back to you. https://discord.gg/aA2EnaWba3

Ok so this is the place to ask questions right?

Just set up my kickr and does everyone else use the 35 mm spacer?
I adjusted my trainer so my front wheel is at the exact distance when regular riding. My back wheel is in contact with ground. Does it need to be in a support? Or is this fine?
What should me kg/w be before I volunteer to participate in a race with fellow members? Don't want to loose a race due to my poor performance. What is the accuracy in everyone's opinion for distance? Does 100 miles in swift equal 75 miles in real world?
And any other tips, tricks, warnings, or suggestions as i discover the apps potential?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9999.jpg
    IMG_9999.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Ok so this is the place to ask questions right?

Just set up my kickr and does everyone else use the 35 mm spacer?
I adjusted my trainer so my front wheel is at the exact distance when regular riding. My back wheel is in contact with ground. Does it need to be in a support? Or is this fine?
What should me kg/w be before I volunteer to participate in a race with fellow members? Don't want to loose a race due to my poor performance. What is the accuracy in everyone's opinion for distance? Does 100 miles in swift equal 75 miles in real world?
And any other tips, tricks, warnings, or suggestions as i discover the apps potential?
Great setup Andrew!
Setup looks great - and your wheel is fine behind you. Sometimes depending on how hard I ride I have to put a heavy object behind me or my bike and Wahoo start to slowly move backwards. When I have been in a small space I have even cut a board of the exact length and put it between the walla nd my wheel.
You don't need to figure your W/Kg. Zwift will to that for you. It kind of takes an average of you latest rides. The best thing to do it just ride in a variety of races or pace groups that force you to go as hard as you can. Then you will automatically be put into the right group. If you slack off when doing these the first time and then ride really hard in one of the ZRL races and do much better you may be disqualified for sandbagging - so best to just go as hard as you can all the time.