12/13 speed systems aero

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well Well Well

What's brewing in the pot?

I bought and received 2 sram flat topped 12 speed chains. I can tell you now ... that chain is a win win chicken dinner. Its so slippery its like an eel and even more so its aero.

Stone have produced an aero 12 speed chainring that fits in place of the spider on sram rival cranksets.

I ordered a RYETT 12 speed shimano compatible cassette and the sram flat top just hugs the cassette perfectly.

This setup is going to burst all my PBs. It's only a matter of time for RYETT to produce a 13 speed and then I just need to do a cassette swap and redial the xshifter.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Well Well Well

What's brewing in the pot?

I bought and received 2 sram flat topped 12 speed chains. I can tell you now ... that chain is a win win chicken dinner. Its so slippery its like an eel and even more so its aero.

Stone have produced an aero 12 speed chainring that fits in place of the spider on sram rival cranksets.

I ordered a RYETT 12 speed shimano compatible cassette and the sram flat top just hugs the cassette perfectly.

This setup is going to burst all my PBs. It's only a matter of time for RYETT to produce a 13 speed and then I just need to do a cassette swap and redial the xshifter.
Cool David, Are you going to go to the HPV World Champs in Amsterdam?
It was on my "list to do" this year, but it looks like with COVID there is not much travel into EU countries from US still. What about for other EU countries - are you able to travel freely there if you prove vaccination?

DavidCH

Cool David, Are you going to go to the HPV World Champs in Amsterdam?
It was on my "list to do" this year, but it looks like with COVID there is not much travel into EU countries from US still. What about for other EU countries - are you able to travel freely there if you prove vaccination?
Tempting... just for the experience and as its in Amsterdam... no friggin massive hills. I am sure they are quite clever and invent some sort of venturi wind tunnel you will have to cycle through. I will have to investigate

DavidCH

Oh I do like it. Every day is special. I say everyday is my birthday but I have given up cake for something better.

Drool

partyTime.jpg

Now I just need some rain so that I can start the 12/13 speed rebuild.

The crunch will be if the cassette fits on the hub so that will be the first thing for me to try.

DavidCH

I reckon this is lighter than a 11 speed shimano di2 and more aero for a lot less and easier to install ... anyways let's see how I get on

DavidCH

Holy Molly... I need to weigh it but I have a bag of shimano 105 shifters, dérailleurs and chain that weigh a considerable amount. The 12 speed cassette fits with a little spare space. The rival cranks are off and cleaned. Torque screws examined and it will be down to the LBS tomorrow to get the other chainring mounted as I don't have the correct torque wrench.

The chainstay is going to have the front derailleur post removed. So I have to decide... bigger more aero chainstays or go with the medium size? If I enter the recumbent race in Amsterdam then its on the flat... so it will probably be crazy fast and its in the middle of July.
ryet12s.jpg
ryet12s2.jpg
rivalTorques.jpg
chainstay.jpg
bareV.jpg

Fortunately enough it rained this afternoon :rolleyes:

DavidCH

David, if you enter that race in Amsterdam - you will probably only need 2 gears - what are you going to do with the other 10?
Point taken and very valid. The YRET cassette is manufactured in blocks with some single gears for the smaller sprockets. I will ask the seller if I can buy some spacers so I can play with the setup.

DavidCH

So the crank update: I didn't go to the LBS , instead I went to the local hardware store and bought a set of torq keys for €1.30.

So you can see the instant weight loss... bye bye spider and 2 chainrings.

old2biyspider.jpg

Hello new aero crank

newCrank.jpg

newCrank2.jpg

See that I used threadlock when putting the mount bolts back in

DavidCH

:rolleyes: emmm let's burn the bridge. No way back but forward.

frontGearstalkdel.jpg

Looks rather clean don't you think?

So now for that cheapo derailleur
twittawoo.jpg
It certainly looks the part but the pulleys are well naff and there is too much play on the hanger for my liking. After aligning ... the alignment pulley hits the chainstay. So maybe I put it on a hanger extension but the play on the hanger is my most major concern. Sure the pulleys can be replaced. Maybe I get the 12 speed sram Gx Eagle derailleur, instead of wasting my time.o_O

She looks lovely when naked too
vnaked.jpg

Last edited:

DavidCH

So here is something weird, really weird. I received an idea of trying the old enhanced shimano ultegra 11 speed rear derailleur (it has a long gate with ultra big and little ceramic pulleys). The pulleys oddly enough work with the sram 12 speed flat top chain.

I haven't tried yet adjusting the limiter screw to get to the biggest sprocket but I am almost certain that it will do it.

As the xshifter is going to pull the derailleur into the 12 unique positions ... perfect.

DavidCH

The 11 speed shimano ultegra derailleur hits its end stops ok... possibly even room for 13 sprockets.
vsultder.jpg

The xshifter is in position A+ as its in the wind shadow. I will cable up across the chainstay in order to keep drag down to a minimum.
vwip.jpg

I have put inverted brake levers on the handlebars. As it's proof of concept I will just use the old brake outer cables. The gear cable I will use with jagwire outer housing as this is one of the best non compression cables.
vtrps.jpg

So the next topic... shall I remove the lug nuts? (Sorry about the shoes in the background)
vlugs.jpg

The vendetta feels so incredibly light as I turned her upside down
vwip2.jpg

Last edited:

DavidCH

So... and now the bad news...

The minipod shifter controls doesn't step through the cassette properly.

And even worse the stone 12 speed chainring doesn't seem to be compatible with the sram flat top 12 speed chain.

chainwheelIssue.jpg

I was hoping all your efforts word work out. I have enjoyed watching your work. The chainring is really nice but it sure doesn’t seem compatible with your chain. I am sure you will figure out something.

DavidCH

I don't give up easily. Thanks for the kind words. The company I ordered from gave me the wrong chainring as its 11 speed chainring compatible.

The xshifter software on android has a few problems but I tried a different way and it worked.

So just have to wait a couple of weeks for a new chainring.

DavidCH

As a cautionary note. The LTwoo ceramic pulleys that I have on the shimano derailleur might be a little off so I will replace just the pulleys and not the gate.