12/13 speed systems aero

jond

Zen MBB Master
I don't give up easily. Thanks for the kind words. The company I ordered from gave me the wrong chainring as its 11 speed chainring compatible.

The xshifter software on android has a few problems but I tried a different way and it worked.

So just have to wait a couple of weeks for a new chainring.

you mean we have to wait. Lol. Vicarious bike building is so hot right now.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
What is it with chinese ... they never want to admit they are wong. Anyways... the supplier will send me the "thin" version of the chainring that will fit the sram axs 12 speed flat top chain.

So I have to relink this chain as the vendetta needs more links. I wonder if the standard link tool will work?

Well if they believe in Buddha and the oneness that goes into it then you can do no wrong.

(QUOTE from grasshopper)

DavidCH

It has to be... I cut off the stalk for the front mesh... I will let you know when I get the correct chainring. I am very excited about the new drivechain.

Xshifter catters for sram 12 Eagle systems. Its interesting to see the different pull ratios from 12 speed mountain bike to 12 speed shimano. The shimano derailleur only has half the strength as the mountain bike sram derailleur.

Guess it must be you don't want a lot of chains slip on those downhills. But it also means that 12 speed sram Eagle wears out twice as fast.

X-Shifter Features:

• Compatible with virtually all front and rear mechanical bicycle drivetrains
  • Uses existing derailleurs
  • Long-life Lithium Ion battery for thousands of shifts on a single charge
  • Splash proof (IP64)
  • Android or iOS app
  • Easy micro-USB charging
  • Lightweight at 115g
Costs $180 + mini pod ($80)

Thats USA dollars

Last edited:

DavidCH

Success... a week from order to delivery and it works. If there were 6 * , then the aliexpress shop J&C Golden store would get it.
c0.jpg

DavidCH

Well its on but there are teething issues. I waxed the 2 chains and fitted on the bike. So started... there isn't much clearance even for speedwax on the chain so the chain wants to come off. So currently in burning in phase using the middle sprocket so that the chain doesn't deflect in its alignment as it rotates. The other issue is the bottom of the gate scrapes a little on the chain on the biggest and smallest sprocket... pictures coming soon.

DavidCH

boardinglaMangaStyle.jpg A quick note about the foil wing... has potential. Maybe cycling early morning and wing foil in the afternoon when the sea breeze gets up. The mountain bikes will be sold and the foil board will fill in a little of the space. The wing is inflatable so takes hardly any space at all.

DavidCH

We are getting there. So as it is now I am out and about. 12th sprocket to 9... fantastic. The others not so good. Chain seems to slip. Might be an idea to tighten up the chain and see if that does the trick. I can't see where it's slipping though. Is it on the pulleys or is it on the actual sprocket? Has to have load though. If I test without me on the bike everything fine.

Probably the angle of engagement with the gate of the derailleur to the cassette. Maybe I just have to swap out that shimano derailleur after all.

I can tell you though ... when it's going it feels as though its gliding thru time and space.

hidingV.jpg

I have had a good look since getting back. Pretty sure it's because the chain is too loose.

Last edited:

DavidCH

Is your derailleur hanger straight?
Interesting concept. The hub cap I have has extended the fork by 1.5mm ... might have something to do with it. The engineering has to be so precise!

The weirdest thing is, it only happens when putting power into the cranks. Just works fine when rotating the cranks by hand.

DavidCH

retensionScrews.jpg

The three screws... making a cassette one piece. I took them out as I couldn't thread the cassette onto the hub. Not a clever idea. The last 4 sprockets are a one piece block , minutely accurate. The other sprockets not so hot and made out of something light so giving it welly on the cranks makes it slip. I haven't tried it out since putting back the retention screws. Pretty sure it's fixed.
retscrews2.jpg

DavidCH

Chain shortening definitely works. Problem now is not with the 9th sprocket but the 5th. So shortened it even more. The wind is blowing really hard so testing in 2 days time