2019 Cruzbike Summer Time Trial Challenge

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'm curious, you're going with time differentials for your points, vs % improvement. I'd think that skews things towards those that start off with slower times, and make rapid improvement vs those that start faster, and improve relatively slower in time differential. It may all even out towards the end, who knows.
Points are just determined by your ranking each week which is based off of you time compared to your PB.

I understand that Larry,

My point is take two riders.
Rider 1 - Week 1 = 60:00
Rider 2 - Week 1 = 30:00

Week 4
Rider 1 = 54:00 - 6min improvement
Rider 2 = 27:00 - 3 min improvement

Both have made the same proportional improvement i.e. 10%, but the rider who started out slower gets the better placing, and generally i'd assume it's much harder for rider 2 to make improvements.

Just sent my time to you for today, with a completely unexpected 43 second improvement vs last week

LarryOz

I understand that Larry,

My point is take two riders.
Rider 1 - Week 1 = 60:00
Rider 2 - Week 1 = 30:00

Week 4
Rider 1 = 54:00 - 6min improvement
Rider 2 = 27:00 - 3 min improvement

Both have made the same proportional improvement i.e. 10%, but the rider who started out slower gets the better placing, and generally i'd assume it's much harder for rider 2 to make improvements.

Just sent my time to you for today, with a completely unexpected 43 second improvement vs last week
I see you point Dave - and it might make things more "fair", especially for someone that is already near the top of their game when the challenge starts.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out after 15 weeks.
Obviously we can't change the way we do points part way through, but something to think about for the next time,

NeaL

Guru
I finally got this week’s ride done this afternoon, a day later than my usual.
I was all set to do it yesterday evening but my Garmin’s battery was dead. Recharging it took some time and then it was too dark out.
I tried to get the ride done first thing this morning just as the sun was rising, but something came up and delayed my starting. Not enough time to do it before having to get to work.
So... I did it right after work. In the late afternoon heat. The hot asphalt, warm tires, felt like I was pedaling through mud at times. Heat sapping my energy.

I didn’t beat any personal bests, this week.
Correction, new personal best top speed! Which, I don't think gets me any kind of points on the Time Trial scoring, but it means something to me.

Last edited:
Not since he was Monday when he was in Chicago on his way to France. I did however see he posted a picture about charging stations in France. Apparently you have to keep pedaling to keep getting a charge. That was 11 hours ago. I am going to bother him as little as possible until after this weekend so he can concentrate on the race at hand.

Just sent Larry week 5's entry, no PB this week.

Legs tired after the last week and my back/hip injury is niggly. My course is also quite open to the wind and today was not a favourable strength/direction. 24 seconds slower than last week's PB. It's been years since i was actively TT'ing as part of my local club and I'm having great fun with this

I have a feeling I will be falling like a rock through the standings. Did most of a 160 mile state crossing ride and at mile 115 got my foot sucked into the front wheel ripping my shoe off and my ankle ended up denting the inside of the chainstay. Managed to keep the bike upright and stop. Pulled my foot from between the wheel and the chainstay and tumbled off into the grass. Reached back and drug my bike off the road and then hobbled back to get my shoe off the road. Three people stopped and one was able to get me and my vendetta into his van, no he was not offering candy. He drove me up to the next sag stop which was a fire station and they took care of me until my wife came and got me. May be missing a few weeks of TT's but what can I do. I am going to go have it xray'd tomorrow morning to make sure nothing is broken and so that people will stop telling me to go get and xray. If you really want to see a picture of what my foot looks like you can search me on strava and look at my last ride. I posted one there. Warning it is bloody.

LarryOz

Hi all,
Yes I am alive. The place where I was staying in France had pretty bad signal so not much chance to post anything.
On the way back to Paris area today with my UK buddies.
It may be Wed (when I land in Chicago) or so when I can get last weeks (#5) standing posted. I off coursed missed this past week. I have not had many entries for week #5, so please send them in if you have not yet.
I will post of my adventures in France at the World Recumbent Championships later in another thread. Do not have final results.
I did finish 11th in a field of about 50 unfaired bikes for the 3 hour race. 2nd in 50+ age-group. It was a very tough race. Lots if climbing and descending and very hot.

Great race Larry.

I did go to an orthopedic urgent care today and had some x rays taken. good news is no broken bones. They did put me in an air walking boot and want to see me in a week or so. I need to look at the bike now and see if there is any terrible damage. looked at it quickly and didn't see any broken spokes, just a dent on the inside of the chainstay. Will have to check if the wheel is still true. Perhaps one of the most disheartening things is I lost a bar end plug somewhere. Now to devise a way to hang my left leg off the bike so I can do a weekly single leg TT. <-- that was a joke.....sorta.

McWheels

Off the long run
I did finish 11th in a field of about 50 unfaired bikes for the 3 hour race. 2nd in 50+ age-group. It was a very tough race. Lots if climbing and descending and very hot.

Good work. I thought you'd get some decent competition. The French do seem to like their MBB more than the rest of Europe; I hope you lost to 1 of them to keep the design in front!

Bill Wightman

Congrats Larry on your great results, especially in your age group. There are some real hardcore riders out there. Be interested to hear about ideas and innovations incorporated into the recumbents you may have noticed.

Looks like a great event all round Larry, great results.

On our little competition, this week has been brutal here, waking up to 27C/82F and then climbing. Today is predicted as a record 39C/102F, so I'll be going swimming. It may break this afternoon and get down to "just the mid 20's", so tomorrow is still a possibility before I head off to the west of Scotland for a week

2nd in 50+ age-group.
Good work. I thought you'd get some decent competition. The French do seem to like their MBB more than the rest of Europe; I hope you lost to 1 of them to keep the design in front!
The first competitor that I know of in the 50+ group is Hajo Eckstein who came in on the second place on a M5CHR. There was the first MBB of Marco Ruga in 5th place, but he appears to not belong in this age group. All in all, two Vendettas and 7 other MBBs, two of them partly faired. Where do you get the age info?

LarryOz

Cruzbike Week #5 TT results
25 riders last week - 3 new riders - 9 new PB’s
Week #5 winner: Robert Onishi - new PB by 103 seconds!
Andrew Thompson retains his lead in the overall standings with 88 points - Great job Andrew!
Here are the results of week #5 sorted by the PB
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 15.02.16 PM.png

Here are the results through week #5 sorted by total points

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 15.03.22 PM.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    851.9 KB · Views: 5

LarryOz

The first competitor that I know of in the 50+ group is Hajo Eckstein who came in on the second place on a M5CHR. There was the first MBB of Marco Ruga in 5th place, but he appears to not belong in this age group. All in all, two Vendettas and 7 other MBBs, two of them partly faired. Where do you get the age info?
Hi Martin, I got the ages from the racers list that was posted on the door where were were staying. It had everyone's birth-date and age this year in the rightmost column. I made a copy of it and sorted everyone into age groups. Send me an email at larryoslund@gmail.com so we can correspond that way - Thanks

Last edited: