2019 Cruzbike Summer Time Trial Challenge

NeaL

Guru
Have the Week 6 results been posted elsewhere, like the 4th week’s results were, and I just missed the announcement again?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Have the Week 6 results been posted elsewhere, like the 4th week’s results were, and I just missed the announcement again?
I post them here, on IRTG forum, on British HPVA forum - do you need them somewhere else?

I thought I posted them here first. I must not have hit the "save" button - sorry about that.

Attachments

• Cruzbike 2019 Summer TT - week #6.png
    Cruzbike 2019 Summer TT - week #6.png
    901.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

NeaL

Guru
I don’t need them anyplace else, just wondering if I had missed seeing Week 6 results anyplace.

I’m not familiar with the other two.

NeaL

Guru
I post them here, on IRTG forum, on British HPVA forum - do you need them somewhere else?

I tried Googling “IRTG Forum.” International Research Training Group? Is that right or do I need to keep looking further down the list of search results?

LarryOz

I thought I posted them here first. I must not have hit the "save" button - sorry about that. Here they are:
Results for week #6 of the 2019 Cruzbike Summer TT Challenge: 27 riders participated
Only 3 new PB were established
Winner of this week was Mary Elks who beat her PB by a whopping 206 secs! Way to go.
Need lead in points is David Zinke with 107 – Congrats
Ride Hard and safe this week = week #7

Cruzbike 2019 Summer TT - week #6.png

LarryOz

Results for Cruzbike 2019 Summer TT Challenges - week #7
We had 20 people participate this past week
1 new person from the "Thursday night time trial group" - Welcome Scot Robinson
10 of the 20 set new PB's - congrats.
The top honors goes to Chris Stancliff who broke his previous PB by a whopping 159 seconds - Wow
David Zinke maintains the overall lead with 117 points - Congrats
The top 3 are only separated by 7.5 points.
We are almost half way through with this 15 week challenge. - This week is week #8.
2019 CruzBike Summer TT - week7.png

McWheels

Off the long run
Devastated! Road closed on my route. Fully dug up, for 30 yds, banks of gravel and diggers guarding it. Of course I cyclo-crossed porterage-d it, 'cos one just cannot not do it. But to make things worse, it's at the bottom of the longest and steepest bit of the ride. I'll leave it late into next week before I go again in the hope there's a way through that doesn't involve scrambling through a building site.

Not good McWheels

I scrambled to get a ride in tonight ahead of the stormy weather for the next three days. My son had a major seizure just as I was about to leave, that in itself is something we deal with, but he hit the floor on his shoulder hard enough for me to check for a collar bone fracture, and he'd snagged his index finger somehow. Quick trip to the minor injuries unit to check for anything serious.

I finally got out an hour after the planned time, fuelled by adrenaline, no warm up, almost perfect conditions (a light headwind on one side of the course). Result - a massive PB. I'd set myself a mental target by the end of this series of 30.0km/h, tonight my average was 32.5, not sure where I go from here.

LarryOz

Devastated! Road closed on my route. Fully dug up, for 30 yds, banks of gravel and diggers guarding it. Of course I cyclo-crossed porterage-d it, 'cos one just cannot not do it. But to make things worse, it's at the bottom of the longest and steepest bit of the ride. I'll leave it late into next week before I go again in the hope there's a way through that doesn't involve scrambling through a building site.
That is a bummer - hope it clears up next week for you. If not go find another route and ride it as a baseline and I will figure out how to make it work for you.

NeaL

Guru
I feel like Doc Brown jumping up & down outside the Twin Pines Mall at night, yelling "88mph!"

Except, I didn't just send a dog one minute into the future. I only broke my personal best elapsed time, average speed, and maximum speed on the TT tonight.
Seriously, I never expected to move this 300+ lbs body mass across the 12 miles distance within less than an hour, under it's own effort.

LarryOz

I feel like Doc Brown jumping up & down outside the Twin Pines Mall at night, yelling "88mph!"

Except, I didn't just send a dog one minute into the future. I only broke my personal best elapsed time, average speed, and maximum speed on the TT tonight.
Seriously, I never expected to move this 300+ lbs body mass across the 12 miles distance within less than an hour, under it's own effort.
Fantastic Neal - 237 second decrease in your PB - That is incredible!!! -That is part of what this challenge does. Even though we are pitted against each other via points - it all really comes down to a race agains ourselves with the clock as the only judge.
Way to push yourself - You will most likely have top honors this week. I only have 2 more riders to report back, but for now you are well out in front!
Makes my 12 second improvement in PB look like nothing! haha :rolleyes::eek:

NeaL

Guru
Fantastic Neal - 237 second decrease in your PB?

My notes show that my previous PB was 1:02:17 which is 62:17, which is 3,737 seconds.
This time, 58:01 which is 3,481 seconds. The difference is 256 seconds.

How did you get that 237 figure?

As I’m getting more accustomed to laying back so far while cycling (for those who don’t know, I’m transitioning from a Sofrider in its near-upright backrest position to an S40, starting with the gray back wedge under my shoulders, which I’ve since removed), I finally flipped the curved slider around to bring the handle bars down closer to my lap. I don’t know how much that contributed but it’s much easier to see over the handlebars now.
As far as “fueling the engine,” the only thing out of the ordinary was I drank a bottle of cayenne pepper kombucha about an hour beforehand, if anyone else wants to try that and see how it affects them.

Last edited:

LarryOz

My notes show that my previous PB was 1:02:17 which is 62:17, which is 3,737 seconds.
This time, 58:01 which is 3,481 seconds. The difference is 256 seconds.

How did you get that 237 figure?

As I’m getting more accustomed to laying back so far while cycling (for those who don’t know, I’m transitioning from a Sofrider in its near-upright backrest position to an S40, starting with the gray back wedge under my shoulders, which I’ve since removed), I finally flipped the curved slider around to bring the handle bars down closer to my lap. I don’t know how much that contributed but it’s much easier to see over the handlebars now.
As far as “fueling the engine,” the only thing out of the ordinary was I drank a bottle of cayenne pepper kombucha about an hour beforehand, if anyone else wants to try that and see how it affects them.
I was just taking the actual segment time from the Strava feed, which showed 58:20. There apparently was 19 seconds that it looks like you where stopped at a traffic signal or something. If that is how you are normally reporting it, via "moving time", then that is OK. I will update your time to 59:01 which shows 256 seconds improvement. Either way an amazing new PB - Can't wait to see what you do this week!

NeaL

Guru
I was just taking the actual segment time from the Strava feed, which showed 58:20. There apparently was 19 seconds that it looks like you where stopped at a traffic signal or something. If that is how you are normally reporting it, via "moving time", then that is OK. I will update your time to 59:01 which shows 256 seconds improvement. Either way an amazing new PB - Can't wait to see what you do this week!

Yep, a traffic light stopped me early on. Whichever method you use. I’d say it is better to be consistent. The longer time is fine.
I had a two minute interruption the previous week and my Strava post showed both a travel time and an elapsed time.
The sun was going down and my magnetic Giro helmet shield visor was making it too dark to see. Fumbling with the visor, I went off the road and down into a ditch. I pulled the bike back up, hopped on, but had to get off again to downshift the gears. When I got back underway I heard a bunch of metallic clinking sounds hitting the asphalt behind me. About $2 in loose change had fallen out of my pocket. I probably could have driven back later to pick up all the coins but I didn’t.

I took the time since then to practice flipping my visor up & down while riding. It was a stupid mistake to not clear out my pockets of things I didn’t need.
And this week I had plenty of time to gauge my approach speed with the timing of the lights but, I didn’t.

I don’t think there should be allowances for errors in judgment or things which need to be practiced upon so the longer time for the traffic stop is fine.

Damn NeaL! Good show, I thought I'd have it this week with a 224 sec PB.

Just think how much faster you'd have been with empty pockets.

McWheels

Off the long run
It's nice when you nail a ride. However past Jon did that 3rd time round. I predicted that future Jon would struggle with that, since it was pretty relentless all the way round. Present Jon now quietly hates past Jon and is trying to figure out which bit of the ride to smash hardest to get back to that level.

LarryOz

After 8 weeks of the Challenge:
  • 21 participated this week (out a total of 40 who has participated at least once)
  • Only 6 people have ridden all 8 weeks, and 6 people have only missed one week.
  • There were 9 new PB's ranging from 256 seconds to 11 seconds.
  • Neal Brooks set his new PB of 58:01 - by 256 seconds - What an amazing decrease in time.
  • Runner up this week I will also mention since he beat his PB by 201 seconds - David Neilson
  • Gene Fellenger hit his PB right on the "nose" - should get specials Kudos for that - that is consistency
  • Congrats to all of you.
  • Our points leader has remained David Zinke who now has 135 points
  • Close behind is Andrew Thompson with 128.5

We are now just past the 1/2 way point - everyone is doing fantastic and is getting better and faster - It is great to see.
Keep up the good work!

I have added a couple columns to the results sheet: Total Rides and #PB and overall PB gain from week #! just as some added data to view that might be interesting.
I also removed the watts and HR column because only 2 of the 40 people were giving me that information
Enjoy!

Cruzbike 2019 Summer TT - week8.png

NeaL

Guru
Something I thought would be interesting, Larry, once this Time Trial is over. Since you'll have all the data, I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult with whatever software you're using to create an X/Y Cartesean graph with the number of rides going to the positive on the X axis and time increasing upward on the Y axis.

Then show the graph for each participant, particularly the winner. I'm guessing that having a gradual downward trend would be optimal for this.