2022 Q45 - where does the water bottle go?

Elisa

Hello All- I am trying to figure out placement of water bottles on the 2022 Q45 so I can drink while I ride.

Thanks in advance.
Elisa

woodguy

Here’s what I do on my 2018 Q45, but should work on the new model too. A 40 oz bottle mounted under the boom with a drink tube. I love it!4B4DB87C-C84F-42BD-8DEA-E094BA0112EA.jpeg

2whluge

Here’s what I do on my 2018 Q45, but should work on the new model too. A 40 oz bottle mounted under the boom with a drink tube. I love it!View attachment 12846
The bike is a beauty! I think I’d hit the bottle with my calfs when pedaling. Why not put a reservoir on the back? It would hold a lot more water.

I’m planning on several multi day tours this summer and I’m looking at different setups. Including pulling a BOB.

Elisa

Are there no bottle bosses on the 2022? If not, I’d drill holes in the seat pan and mount them underneath. I have a setup like that in my Volae
The issue is the seat hardware is in the way. I think I need to find a bottle holder that would hang down a bit from under the seat.
16F2DDA5-8585-42C4-A79D-A3FBDBFE56AF.jpeg 833F52F7-C107-40AB-8B78-BC6A7D351167.jpeg 2DA034DF-2C89-4D98-835B-7D90E80BD567.jpeg

2whluge

The issue is the seat hardware is in the way. I think I need to find a bottle holder that would hang down a bit from under the seat.
View attachment 12883 View attachment 12884 View attachment 12885
I see your point. My soft sided bottles just compress a bit. There are holes in the back of the seat but that may not be easy to reach.
On all my bents, I have issues with drinking from a bottle while moving. I tend to put Gatorade in the bottles and water in the bag so I can sip until I stop. upload_2022-3-24_10-16-34.jpeg[ upload_2022-3-24_10-15-41.jpeg

woodguy

The bike is a beauty! I think I’d hit the bottle with my calfs when pedaling. Why not put a reservoir on the back? It would hold a lot more water.

I’m planning on several multi day tours this summer and I’m looking at different setups. Including pulling a BOB.
I’ve never hit the bottle with my calves, but I wondered about that before I tried it.
I find 40 oz to be all I need before having to stop, and the bottle is easier to clean and fill than a bladder.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 12883 View attachment 12884 View attachment 12885
You're exactly right about the difficulty in mounting to the bosses on the frame under the seat. The mounting hardware is in the way, but that could be fixed by using non-quick release skewers and some washers and nylock nuts to take up less space. The real problem is that the mounting brackets are in the way, and that can't be changed. The cages themselves mount easily enough, and I can actually cram a bottle in there, indenting the sides, but it takes such effort that I would never take the bottle in or out while moving, so no drinking except at stops! And it is so tight a fit to get past the brackets that eventually it will tear a hole in the bottle. Maybe a cheaper more flexible bottle would work better than the insulated CamelBak. Your comment about a bottle holder that would hang down a little is a great idea and would take care of the problem. If you find one please let us know; I'll be looking as well!

Cages on the back of the seat as posted by cpml123 above might fit in that same spot on the '22 and if so, that will be a good solution and i'll try that next, but after holding the cages in the only place they'll fit down low, it doesn't look like even 20oz bottles will fit past the mounting hardware on the seat back without a major struggle. As noted by Elisa, there has been a good bit of change in the design of this year's model. Also might be possible to put them up higher on the seatback above the mounting hardware etc. Wish they would fit under the seat itself like on V20 but there is no way to do that on this bike. Considering adding bosses to the swingarm as a last resort. Will figure something out--summer is coming and it's too hot here to be short of water!

I'm just puzzled why the only cage bosses are placed in a location that makes it so hard to mount water bottles on this version of the Q45. Such a beautiful and well designed bike otherwise.

Elisa

I bought a Zefal Pulse Universal water bottle cage and put it on the boom. I tried the Cruzebike holder and doesn’t work either. I didn’t try the extender that was mentioned.

Reactions: Bo6