A Little Recumbent Love Over on Global Cycling Network

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Nice bike photo ;)

I just need to figure out how to put a seat on it. :)

Actually you’re paying a shed load more for the story of pinarello . Since all diamond frame top end bicycle frames are much the same apple in different skins. The gcn story revealed that price range differential and its huge but the lower priced apple story is just as fast etc as the high priced apple story.

And bicycles have the advantage of being very familiar. A friend bought his first bicycle recently; a top of the line Trek Madone. He wasn't afraid to spend loads of money on it because having ridden a bike when he was young, he already understood exactly what he was buying. The $9000 Madone was just an improved version of that. He could have bought a Bacchetta CA2 for half the price, but recumbents are completely alien to him, so he doesn't want to take a chance on one. Even after I demonstrated all it's advantages over an upright bike, he's still unconvinced. That's the kind of mentality you're up against when trying to sell recumbents to the public.

No recumbent has name recognition because today the open market is fragmented so much that you have to sell a story to sell pretty much anything of perceived value these days. The recumbent story is screwed down by the uci.

I've found that mentioning a bent's racing pedigree makes a big difference in people's perceptions. I'm often stopped on the trails by people asking me about my M1 Lowracer. For many, its the first recumbent they've ever seen. At first they tend to dismiss it as a curiosity, certainly not something they'd have any interest in riding. Then I tell them that in fact, this was Phil Plath's racing machine which he used to break three world speed records. Suddenly their eyes widen, and they start asking more questions about recumbents. A couple of them even asked me if I'd mind taking their photo next to it. No one has ever showed this degree of interest in my CA2 or V20, even though by any objective standard, they're much better recumbents.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Everybody has heard of Merckx and Le Tour. You cannot win Le Tour unless the UCI lets you do Le Tour.

Therefore the uci need to be replaced ASAP. With real cycling enthusiasts not beholden to industry heavies.

I can hope. And keep riding my bikes.

I’m still hoping for a follow up from gcn with a bent expert or two.

Opik

Probably left over and hidden is the discussion of small wheels and Moulton bike. Wathed their eurobike video and noticed Jon appreciating the Moulton bike.

Then I remembered that Moulton's was banned by UCI and had many stories behind it. Googled a bit and this came up:
https://road.cc/content/forum/236908-why-havent-small-wheels-caught

And it also had broke the speed record twice.

I know we are into bents, but as HPV stands for Human Powered Vehicle, we should also include others

jond

Zen MBB Master
Probably left over and hidden is the discussion of small wheels and Moulton bike. Wathed their eurobike video and noticed Jon appreciating the Moulton bike.

Then I remembered that Moulton's was banned by UCI and had many stories behind it. Googled a bit and this came up:
https://road.cc/content/forum/236908-why-havent-small-wheels-caught

And it also had broke the speed record twice.

I know we are into bents, but as HPV stands for Human Powered Vehicle, we should also include others

Taufik I have five bents and five df bikes. As mentioned earlier “for reference. “ a page back. Come on aussie come on get with the program lol.

I love all bikes especially something with a little difference that’s smart or unique in design. Why wouldn’t I appreciate a moulton even if I can’t afford one.......

Df bikes include a tandem a fat bike a road bike and mtn bikes. I secretly lust after the goodies bike.............goody goody yum yum. That’s a 1970s reference taufik.

So it’s five all in penalty time ;) and four bikes with 406 wheels

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Let's open up a bag of worms.... you just have to look at all these big crit races to see how dangerous competitive cycling can be and that is with just light carbon uprights. Do you really want the freedom to mix it in a peloton of bikes doing 50kph for an hour or more? I guess UCI might be there for a more important reason... perhaps your safety?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
jond said:
a little difference that’s smart or unique in design
One of the reasons why I got a Cruzbike.

Worms. UCI hate people being unable to go over the handlebars. Anyway the LEL and PBP people allow funny bikes. Not "real" cycling, obviously. And in the Hour, why are the UCI so finicky about the tuck?

3bs

whereabouts unknown
okay you guys are making my head hurt.

feel free to remember that commerce is the core.

UCI is no more offensive than NASCAR( or SCCA or FIA, even thought they would claim not.)

RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG!

works only at the grassroots level. at the world big dog level, its essentially one design, until you get to the super big dog level like americas cup.

since my escape from area 51 so many years ago, i have come to accept that i am just not like everyone else, and i embrace that. i have committed myself to show up to more group events every year, and be a passive brand ambassador for the bent universe.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
For ed.

From gcn tech show. Paraphrase Ollie and John.

Advantages of recumbent

Faster fun comfort lower centre of gravity . I would add inclusiveness safer cargo carrying capacity stability variety and appearance.

Disadvantages

1.trikes are unstable and no suspension is an issue Wrong tadpole trikes are not unstable and many feature suspension. No research before opening mouths.

2.high chance falling off easier to fall off further to fall off clumsy contraptions. Pff how would they know this without riding one. And it’s simply wrong.

3.more expensive. Wrong heaps bents are reasonably priced. Brevet m5 vendetta etc

Cheap bents available new too from performer etc.

4.smaller numbers correct and slower up hills generally right.

5.cant surge in power. Wrong you can push so hard as to destroy your knees leverage against a seat. Or mbb push pull goodness

6. Saddle sores. Laughable stupid ignorant comment

7.vulnerable. I’d argue a recumbent is safer than a df in an accident though visibility in city can be an issue but is overcome easily with lighting and awareness.

8.velos are fragile and hard to get in and out of. Partially correct.

Wrong rotovelo is indestructible . They seem difficult but practice brings familiarity

I would add despite fat trikes and Azub max etc not great off road on tough technical terrain. And extra weight.

Good God.

Please revise in the morning.

I'll regrade your response as a courtesy.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
DavidJL said:
consider NASCAR
In F1 they want the cars to be identical so it is purely a race between drivers, but still some cars are faster than others. Still the teams are always looking for a new designer who is more clever than everybody else. The secret is to find some improvement that is not such a radical change that it will be banned. What about skirts?

3bs

whereabouts unknown
@bladderhead i appreciate your respect for F1 but too many years i was in the motorsports game, and f1 has....how do i say....a dubious past. they are not alone. i love F1. heck i love all racing, but i make no claims of repute for anyone. too much money too much ego too much politic not enough honor to every believe anything anyone has ever said.

the decades of advances in technology in racing that we all benefit from come from the evolution of rules with just enough wiggle to stimulate creativity. in some venues they call it innovation, in some they call it cheating, i call it a part of racing.

when i came back to bikes as my primary locomotion hobby, i sold most of my cars and trucks and things with motors, reducing expenses considerably.

but, i must tinker or i will die.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
One of the local bike shops has on display an original Safety Bicycle from the late 19th century. Looking at this ancient beast, it's amazing to see how little bicycles have actually changed in over a century. It looks just like a modern "city bike", right down to the handlebars, seat, and frame. Of course the 19th century Safety Bicycle was never designed with racing in mind, so it seems absurd to me that modern racing bicycles are still based on this antiquated concept.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Rover Safety was far in advance of its contemporaries. I had a 1950s Claud Butler which thieves took from me. My cousin on her Rover Safety was faster than me.

3bs said:
i must tinker or I will die.
I'm a stinker too. Human-powered vehicles have the advantage of being cheaper and simpler than things with engines.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
dont get slim started on coal.
You mean ALL the coal that surrounds Jond's house????
MTR%202.jpg

OR the lacquer covered coal the Federal Liberals or Nation leaders bring into Parliament, to justify all the funds given to them from coal mining groups!!!!!