A sign of things to come?

BJ686

Saw today on the announcement for the new Q45s that they will have through axles and flat mounts for disc brakes. Also mentioned that it will have a dampening headset. Lets hope the V20 will be getting these updates one day soon as well!

TransAm

Saw today on the announcement for the new Q45s that they will have through axles and flat mounts for disc brakes. Also mentioned that it will have a dampening headset. Lets hope the V20 will be getting these updates one day soon as well!
I specifically asked about thru axles on the V20 before I bought mine last month and was told it would be a while before a thru axle was available....

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Isn’t the front triangle virtually the same on the current V20, S40, and Q45? (I don’t own anything newer than a qx100 so excuse the ignorance...)

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Patience all - changes take time and manufacturing nowadays is like steering a heavy ship in the Covid infested waters - of collapsing-under-the-pressure manufacturing chains. Changes - even small ones - mean entire changes to the process - jigs, parts, sometimes supplies - all get mixed around. :)

But as long time Cruzbikers know - all evolutions of the bikes has been great!

Onward...
:)

OregonJohn

master of tinkering

OregonJohn here,
I was told, also, that the new upgrades to the V20 may very well be a long way off (Maria). But, I recently received my new V20 frame-set in the mail, because I have already “updated” my S40 and felt very confident in “updating” this V20 frame-set as well. Both bikes have the Cane Creek Viscoset headset, the very nice disc brake adapter bracket (Assolutions), and I have (carefully) drilled 6 of the appropriate holes to accept a 12mm through axle. Not for the faint-of-heart but I am more than happy with my results.
I’m new to this forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place, feel free to correct me or PM me with questions?

OregonJohn

master of tinkering
What does it do? Just wondering.

I was very near feeling reasonably comfortable on my S40 when I decided to try adding the Cane Creek Viscoset, knowing full-that the new CB’s were going to have them as standard equipment at some point, the addition of the Viscoset put me over the top, I immediately felt far more in control of peddle-steer and handling over-all. Well worth the money!

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I was very near feeling reasonably comfortable on my S40 when I decided to try adding the Cane Creek Viscoset, knowing full-that the new CB’s were going to have them as standard equipment at some point, the addition of the Viscoset put me over the top, I immediately felt far more in control of peddle-steer and handling over-all. Well worth the money!
Does it 'slow down' steering response so that it doesn't feel as twitchy? Is that how it works?

TransAm

After market for both bikes, S40
frame -kit and my new frame-kit V20. They both use the same unit:
ZS44/28.6/H13.5/BLACK
MODEL BAA1068K
Not cheap but a direct bolt-on (off) that is very obvious once installed. Installation takes about 15-mins or so.
Thanks for confirming the p/n. Just ordered the top half from Jensen USA for $36.99. Added some tubes to get up to $60 free shipping.

Cane Creek Viscoset Upper Headset | Jenson USA

TransAm

My V20 has some speed wobble, not terrible, but not OK either. I thought it was due to flex in the frame. But now I'm thinking it may be due to the mass of the boom. So hopefully the Viscoset neutralizes it....

OregonJohn

master of tinkering
My V20 has some speed wobble, not terrible, but not OK either. I thought it was due to flex in the frame. But now I'm thinking it may be due to the mass of the boom. So hopefully the Viscoset neutralizes it....
No harm if it doesn’t, it doesn’t alter the bike, just swapping of parts. Just out the money is all.

Please post a before and after review after you install. Does it just replace the top half of the headset ?? I see it increases the stack height 6mm. I would have to measure first as I have cut my steerer tube down.

Last edited:

Brad R

Does anyone know if Viscoset headsets come in more than two sizes? (34 for pressfit and 44 for integrated). My Freestyle has an integrated 42mm top.

I only see a 44mm in the integrated top.

Does anybody know if one of theses would fit in a T50?

Rampa

Guru
If you are replacing the top on a T50, you might as well replace the bottom as well. Go with sealed bearings for top and bottom that way.