A sign of things to come?

Robert Volk

I will most likely wait for a thru-axle design before I get a V20. I know I am missing out for the time being but I've got plenty of bikes to choose from so I'll be OK. If they announced that there were design changes coming, I doubt they would be able to sell the current model without price cuts or other incentives.

Agree. Would cost a but more but it is a safer option, and safety is always worth extra cost.
  • Safer than quick release skewers.
  • Designed with a high safety factor to make them strong and durable and less likely to break especially when compared to quick release skewers.
  • Fork dropouts have holes so wheel detachment from the fork is not possible like it is with the U-notch design of a quick release fork dropout. The skewer bolts to the frame making a secure connection, when properly installed.
  • Stiffer front end for improved handling and stability.
  • Reduction of brake rub when compared to quick release disc brake bikes.
  • Limited fork fatigue due to stiffer front end.

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
Agree. Would cost a but more but it is a safer option, and safety is always worth extra cost.
  • Safer than quick release skewers.
  • Designed with a high safety factor to make them strong and durable and less likely to break especially when compared to quick release skewers.
  • Fork dropouts have holes so wheel detachment from the fork is not possible like it is with the U-notch design of a quick release fork dropout. The skewer bolts to the frame making a secure connection, when properly installed.
  • Stiffer front end for improved handling and stability.
  • Reduction of brake rub when compared to quick release disc brake bikes.
  • Limited fork fatigue due to stiffer front end.
Finally a solution to the common issue of wheels falling out of V20 dropouts and forks breaking from "fatigue"! As a bonus TA's are also "strong and durable", unlike those flimsy QR's that may only last a couple of lifetimes.

Given the choice I'd prefer TA's on any disk brake equipped bike, but mostly b/c that's the direction the industry is going. In paved road applications any well designed fork with properly oriented eyelets, even if using disk brakes, will retain the wheel perfectly well with a QR or TA. Given the industry's need to market "new & improved technology" and the public's limited understanding of engineering TA's are critical as a marketing tool, but merely a "nice to have" in terms of actual function in an application like the V20.

As we used to say on the Usenet forums, before the Internet evolved into the web, "donning my fire retardant suit" ...

-Jack K.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Have always wondered about all the fuss about TA. Not sure I get it either. Seems to be one more PITA when changing a flat roadside. Give me a QR any day. I’ll take my chances. But then again, that’s the opinion of the tree guy playing engineer!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Have always wondered about all the fuss about TA. Not sure I get it either. Seems to be one more PITA when changing a flat roadside. Give me a QR any day. I’ll take my chances. But then again, that’s the opinion of the tree guy playing engineer!

I am widely known for being an early adopter for some things and a very very late adopter for others - especially things that I view are just fine "as they were" (like the QR wheel)

Sadly the changes to these things are largely driven by the bigger bike industry forces at work - the component manufacturers and the upright world. The good thing is that the TA I think is a great positive change to our bikes. It doesn't matter though as if we want to have high quality components, we have to adapt to go with what they are making, and the reality is that good quality mass produced QR hubs are going away in favor of TA hubs.

With covid - and massive backlogs of new gear stockouts creating huge backlogs in manufacturing - expect that all of these "new" setups like TA, 1x systems, etc will very rapidly become the new normal for everything. This is happening faster than they might otherwise. Manufacturers are in some cases a year or more out for new stuff. That means that manufacturing ANY of the "old" gear is so far on the back burner we might never see it again.

TransAm

I'm happy with my TA equipped Roubaix. Wheel is always perfectly aligned once the TA is tight. No fiddling with successive approximation getting a QR tight. The only problem I have when taking the wheel off/on is forgetting where I put the axle!

I think a TA would be a big improvement on the V20. And since you have to take the QR out to get the front wheel off, I still have the same problem with losing it!

• No losing my thru axle on my Cannondale SuperSix. It has what I would call a hybrid design. One side is thru axle and the other has a sort of traditional dropout. Just loosen the thru axle and until it doesn't contact the threads on the thru axle side and the hub pulls strait out of the fork side. Thru axle stays in the hub.

jond

Zen MBB Master
On my fatbike is TA. Every other bike QR. call me cynical old cheapskate or an irrelevant dinosaur but from a user perspective I do prefer QR . Please don’t call me that....

QR all the way baby for as long as I can hold out ........before the manufactured extinction event of bike industry tsunamis robs me of choice and my dearly beloved old stuff.

I don’t know anyone who broke a QR . TA is clunky over the top spin to me and my chicken legs. None of which are the latest or greatest. We need a vaccination for rampant consumerism .

To be frank .....I’m really actually afraid of my wife and her wheelset approval scheme lol.

yesterday.

BJ686

I see where it was just announced that the new S40 will have the updates of thru-axle, flat mount disc brakes and dampening headset....hopefully the V20 will not be far behind!

Al_D

OregonJohn here,
I was told, also, that the new upgrades to the V20 may very well be a long way off (Maria). But, I recently received my new V20 frame-set in the mail, because I have already “updated” my S40 and felt very confident in “updating” this V20 frame-set as well. Both bikes have the Cane Creek Viscoset headset, the very nice disc brake adapter bracket (Assolutions), and I have (carefully) drilled 6 of the appropriate holes to accept a 12mm through axle. Not for the faint-of-heart but I am more than happy with my results.
I’m new to this forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place, feel free to correct me or PM me with questions?

John,
Did you happen to record the conversion to TA's???
Photo's/Video's???
Maybe I just don't get how you made the conversion...
I am only asking because I would like to make an offer on your bike... however... I need to understand the process undertaken.
Just in case of an unexpected late consequence.

Al_D

Gary,

Unfortunately the Viscoset is not compatible with any version of the V20 - past or current. This is because the headset on the V20 is integral to the tube itself - the bearing races are in the head tube - so there is no ability to press cups in. The Viscoset will only work with bikes that have press-in cups.

Robert
Robert...
After first seeing the Viscoset on the new S40 video that you made, I read about it and added it to my Rans V3-Titanium with excellent results.
Superior new Tech.

BJ686

Just saw where the new V20s are coming out year end. Guessing (hoping) will have the flat mount disc brakes, thru axle and viscoset headset like the S40

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I don't think there is anything in the bylaws, the rules or the fine print at the bottom of the page against posting V20 user-generated videos. Who better to get information from than owners who actually know the bike with thousands or 10s of thousands of miles on them? :D

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I do sometimes wish Cruzbike were more like Tesla in terms of teasing new products. It might gin up more excitement/interest. Of course, it is only a bicycle after all, so there's probably not a lot to tease...
Dear Genie,

Below I have provided my Genie translation of the above wish.

My three wishes are for:

1. The Cruzbike family, both company and rider members, to be able to maintain all of the things we love about it (see multitude of threads and posts that apply) while,

2. Cruzbike the company to have the financial resources to support and

3. Cruzbike to have the human resources in skills, talent, connections, in marketing and such to share the upcoming models and company as a whole with all those who could benefit from riding a Cruzbike.

Note: that absolute preference be given to #1 over #2 and #3.

Bottle rubbing commencing.