Advice on Touring with Suspension or Not

Looking for advice on Cruzbike selection. I'm thinking I'll use it on longer single day group rides and multi day touring rides.

Most of my multi day touring rides are typically on crushed gravel rail trails. I'm also planning on doing some European rides on long bike trails along the big rivers (Rhine and Danube) that are mostly flat.

Although I do plan on continuing solo rides with my upright bike on the rolling hills around my home (primarily because of my own concerns about traffic and visibility). I'm hoping to occasionally take a Cruzbike out on long single day rides in the Country with larger groups. These are usually in areas with gentle rolling hills in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia

I'd say 85% of my rides are going to be on primarily flat trails/paths and 15% might be in the group ride rolling country hill/open road settings. I was leaning towards looking at Cruzbike with rear suspension like the Q45. But I've seen pictures and discussions of people touring with their S40s... sometimes with significant sets of touring bags.

Is leaning towards a Cruzbike with suspension a little overkill if I don't plan on any challenging bike packing trips?

Love to get thoughts from folks who've done a lot of touring with their Cruzbikes
thanks in advance

I've done some multi-day rides with the V20. Using 650b x 38mm tires and with 700 x 28mm tires. Both on roads and trails with some gravel. I can say that the 650b gives the ride more cushion, but are a bit slower. If I was to go fully loaded, I'd consider using a 650b x 42mm on the rear and use side panniers. I have an S40, but for long rides I prefer the laid-back V20 to reduce recumbutt.
Mine: https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/mathews-bike-tours.11935/
Tor's: https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/solo-touring-in-norway-on-a-loaded-vendetta.12618/

Some love their Q45 for touring:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/search/?query=cruzbike&main_type=all
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/q45-across-america.12787/

woodguy

I do like my Q45 for touring, but have to admit I don’t have any other model Cruzbike. My solution to minimize recumbutt was to install a Thor seat which I have set at about 35 degrees. I did have some butt problems with the stock seat. I see the new Q45 has a different design seat, so that may solve the problem without needing to replace the seat.

The rear suspension is nice, but based on the type of riding you plan to do I’m not sure I would make that my decision point. Thanks to Mathew, the post on my coast to coast ride is above.

xtalbike

Regarding the group ride part of your question, I need the V20 to keep up with the group that I ride with fairly comfortably on an upright. On rolling terrain (New England) I fall behind except on downhills if I'm on the Q45 and they're on gravel bikes. I'm also slower on the S40 than I am on an upright. On the V20 I'm faster than on an upright unless there are a lot of long climbs and even then I often break even with the extra speed on downhills and flats.

Regarding the group ride part of your question, I need the V20 to keep up with the group that I ride with fairly comfortably on an upright. On rolling terrain (New England) I fall behind except on downhills if I'm on the Q45 and they're on gravel bikes. I'm also slower on the S40 than I am on an upright. On the V20 I'm faster than on an upright unless there are a lot of long climbs and even then I often break even with the extra speed on downhills and flats.

Thanks for the input. Just out of curiousity. What size wheels and tires are you using on your V20?

I've done some multi-day rides with the V20. Using 650b x 38mm tires and with 700 x 28mm tires. Both on roads and trails with some gravel. I can say that the 650b gives the ride more cushion, but are a bit slower...

Thanks for the input Mathew. I tried to reply with some questions, but the forum keeps telling me I was posting invalid content. So I sent you a message (conversation)

I do like my Q45 for touring, but have to admit I don’t have any other model Cruzbike. My solution to minimize recumbutt was to install a Thor seat which I have set at about 35 degrees. I did have some butt problems with the stock seat. I see the new Q45 has a different design seat, so that may solve the problem without needing to replace the seat.

The rear suspension is nice, but based on the type of riding you plan to do I’m not sure I would make that my decision point. Thanks to Mathew, the post on my coast to coast ride is above.

Thanks for the input. Is the Thor seat at 35 degrees more laid back than the stock version?

Responding to @Bikes&Banjos
“Hey Mathew, I was trying to reply to the post you made on my thread asking for advice on the touring suspension but the Cruzbike forum wasn't allowing the content of my reply to post for some reason. So I figured I'd send you a message and hopefully that will work.

First of all. Thanks for the links. I spent a good deal of time today checking out your pictures videos and overall posts. A couple questions...

1) I love the GAP as I've cycled there a number of times (along with the C&O) and it's interesting. I think you were cycling the GAP with your V20 on that trail and you felt good about using 28mm tires. Was that your V20?

2) Then on one of your posts about the Ohio to Erie trail... that surface appeared similar to other lesser maintained rail trails near me. You indicated that 28mm tires probably were a little thin. What would you recommend after having ridden it and what's the limit on tire width if you're using 650 wheels on the V20.

Finally, I've noticed alot of riders using their V20 are so horizontal that they seem to have keep their heads propped up looking forward. To me this almost looks like the beginning of a sit up and a little uncomfortable. I know the end result for these long rides with the more horizontal position avoids recumbutt. But does holding your head up ever cause any neck/back issues?

Again, thanks so much for your input”

1) Yes, I rode the GAP with the V20 mullet style with 700 x 28 mm up front and 650b x 42mm on the back. That worked well, except for a small section that had fresh limestone laid. It was like soft sand, I think fatter tires would have helped. Otherwise I was happy with the set-up.
2) The canal towpath of the northern section of the OTET was a bit rougher with some mud and some of the bridges have sharp edges. I pinch flatted on one of those - probably would have been okay if I had it set up as tubeless.
3) The widest 650b that works well with 32mm, but 38mm squeezes in. There is some rubbing under power and braking though. I have those 650b tires on my S40 now, there’s no problem fitting that. The V20 may take 700 x 30mm tires up front, but it’s tight. 32mm might work with some rims. Enter “tires” in the forum search box or try this.
4) I find that a well adjusted headrest makes the V20 quite comfortable. I have the Thor seat on mine that raises the shoulder up a bit so there’s less flex at the neck. My S40 has a headrest, but I often ride without laying my head back onto it.
5) The forum limits new users’ ability to post certain content. Get around by typing something like mywebsite dot com. Pictures may be limited to under 2 mb in size.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
If your Silvio gets stolen, get a S40 with wide tyres. You will not miss the Silvio suspension. When I am on the S40 I do not miss the Grasshopper 's springs, but I have never done loaded touring. You may like the idea of total freedom from punctures, but do not be seduced by Tannus. They have a detrimental effect on the ride quality. They make the steering go a bit weird, and this will be exacerbated by huge loads in panniers.

xtalbike

V20 has 700C X 25 on moderately aero rims.
...and regarding long term comfort on the V20, I have the stock seat with adjustable headrest and have done up to 11h in one day. Of course there are people who've done huge randonee rides on the V20. With a well adjusted head rest neck fatigue is not an issue. The odd issue I've run into on very long rides is that I actually end up feeling the heads of the screws that bold the seat to the frame even through the cushioning. I might put in an extra layer of foam padding. After 11 hours I had symmetrical red spots on my lower back. They gave my wife a fright when I was getting ready for bed that night.

Responding to @Bikes&Banjos
“Hey Mathew, I was trying to reply to the post you made on my thread asking for advice on the touring suspension but the Cruzbike forum wasn't allowing the content of my reply to post for some reason. So I figured I'd send you a message and hopefully that will work.

First of all. Thanks for the links. I spent a good deal of time today checking out your pictures videos and overall posts. A couple questions...

1) I love the GAP as I've cycled there a number of times (along with the C&O) and it's interesting. I think you were cycling the GAP with your V20 on that trail and you felt good about using 28mm tires. Was that your V20?

2) Then on one of your posts about the Ohio to Erie trail... that surface appeared similar to other lesser maintained rail trails near me. You indicated that 28mm tires probably were a little thin. What would you recommend after having ridden it and what's the limit on tire width if you're using 650 wheels on the V20.

Finally, I've noticed alot of riders using their V20 are so horizontal that they seem to have keep their heads propped up looking forward. To me this almost looks like the beginning of a sit up and a little uncomfortable. I know the end result for these long rides with the more horizontal position avoids recumbutt. But does holding your head up ever cause any neck/back issues?

Again, thanks so much for your input”

1) Yes, I rode the GAP with the V20 mullet style with 700 x 28 mm up front and 650b x 42mm on the back. That worked well, except for a small section that had fresh limestone laid. It was like soft sand, I think fatter tires would have helped. Otherwise I was happy with the set-up.
2) The canal towpath of the northern section of the OTET was a bit rougher with some mud and some of the bridges have sharp edges. I pinch flatted on one of those - probably would have been okay if I had it set up as tubeless.
3) The widest 650b that works well with 32mm, but 38mm squeezes in. There is some rubbing under power and braking though. I have those 650b tires on my S40 now, there’s no problem fitting that. The V20 may take 700 x 30mm tires up front, but it’s tight. 32mm might work with some rims. Enter “tires” in the forum search box or try this.
4) I find that a well adjusted headrest makes the V20 quite comfortable. I have the Thor seat on mine that raises the shoulder up a bit so there’s less flex at the neck. My S40 has a headrest, but I often ride without laying my head back onto it.
5) The forum limits new users’ ability to post certain content. Get around by typing something like mywebsite dot com. Pictures may be limited to under 2 mb in size.

Great info! thanks so much for all the feedback Mathew

woodguy

Thanks for the input. Is the Thor seat at 35 degrees more laid back than the stock version?
The stock Q45 seat is adjustable for the angle. I can’t find the spec in the current description on this website, but I’m sure you can get it to 35 degrees or less. My Q45 is from the original run in 2018, and the biggest advantage I find with the Thor seat is the contour of the seat. Even when I put the stock seat at a laid back angle, my body didn’t settle into it as well. The new Cruzbike seat might have solved this problem, so I would try it before investing in the Thor.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
The stock Q45 seat is adjustable for the angle. I can’t find the spec in the current description on this website, but I’m sure you can get it to 35 degrees or less. My Q45 is from the original run in 2018, and the biggest advantage I find with the Thor seat is the contour of the seat. Even when I put the stock seat at a laid back angle, my body didn’t settle into it as well. The new Cruzbike seat might have solved this problem, so I would try it before investing in the Thor.
Unfortunately the 2021 Q45's seat only leans back to about 50 deg because of design change. Maybe 2022's model changes that.

bongaarts

I used a Fireeye Stoker fork on my MTB as a tourer (and as an Mtb) and for load carrying it was great, super rigid (much too rigid as these mountain bikes), and 100% reliable. There are enough holes to work out how to fix luggage but you have to drill a hole on the crown and the 700grams that you save over a sus fork won't make a lightweight out of your MTB.
I have now been convinced by the club's trail riders to fit a sus fork but I have built a real road tourer to compensate. I have doubts about the wisdom of loading the lowers of a sus fork, they don't strike me as very strong for load carrying and I doubt an OMM rack would fit over the fork-ends on my (cheap) sus fork.