Q45 Across America

woodguy

Beginning on March 2nd I will be riding my Q45 from San Diego, CA to St Augustine FL. This trip has been a goal of mine since I started seriously biking about 4 years ago. Fortunately this will be a well supported tour with Bubba's Pampered Pedalers tour group.

Thanks to lots of great suggestions on this forum I have made a few upgrades to my bike including an 11-42 cassette to help with some of the hills, a Thor seat to improve comfort on the ride, and some Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires hoping to reduce rolling resistance & minimize flats. If you're interested in following me, sign up to follow my blog at jimscruiseacrossamerica.blogspot.com

That is awesome Jim! Bubba and crew seem to be a great way to tour. I am still looking forward to when I can use their services on a ride.

Sounds like you are well set up for the tour. If you have a few minutes after or in the mountains, let us know how the bike worked out on the climbs with the 42 tooth cassette.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I'll be following. Have a great trip. Temper the pace over the mountains the first day or two. Everyone will be stoked. Sounds like you have the perfect setup for that ride.

woodguy

That is awesome Jim! Bubba and crew seem to be a great way to tour. I am still looking forward to when I can use their services on a ride.

Sounds like you are well set up for the tour. If you have a few minutes after or in the mountains, let us know how the bike worked out on the climbs with the 42 tooth cassette.
Yes, I’m interested in seeing how much it helps. My testing experience with hills in Wisconsin suggests it will help a lot, but Wisconsin hills aren’t like the mountains. I will report back.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I have not done the Southern Tier route but have planned it, avoiding Phoenix and that dreaded tunnel. My route would go thru the reservations and swing thru Tucson into El Paso. It looks like bubba does this as well. ? If so, it also avoids some climbing but if I recall, there aren't many steep grades. I had planned it to be recumbent friendly. Up out of San Diego on old Route 8 (?) into the Imperial Valley is a long slog but not bad. You'll go from the ice box to the oven pretty quick. If he take you thru Julian and down the Glass Elevator into Borego Springs, there are some steep climbs that way and he 42T will be a good investment. I wish I could that ride.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Stupendous fun. Live the dream. Enjoy every moment. Please share with us your journey with us vicarious cruzbikers. Be safe. I’ll follow too.

woodguy

I have not done the Southern Tier route but have planned it, avoiding Phoenix and that dreaded tunnel. My route would go thru the reservations and swing thru Tucson into El Paso. It looks like bubba does this as well. ? If so, it also avoids some climbing but if I recall, there aren't many steep grades. I had planned it to be recumbent friendly. Up out of San Diego on old Route 8 (?) into the Imperial Valley is a long slog but not bad. You'll go from the ice box to the oven pretty quick. If he take you thru Julian and down the Glass Elevator into Borego Springs, there are some steep climbs that way and he 42T will be a good investment. I wish I could that ride.
Bubba has done this route for 10 years & keeps tweaking it every time. We aren’t going quite as far north as Julian. Out of San Diego to Alpine, a little on I-8 when no other roads are available & then Tucson, El Paso & head east as much as possible. Should be a great ride.

Congratulations on completing your C2C adventure. I’ve enjoyed riding along vicariously. We need more photos here.

woodguy

Yes, my Coast 2 Coast ride is complete. Here are some of the highlights:

San Diego Ocean.jpg

This picture at the Pacific Ocean was a foreshadowing of the weather we would experience over the next 52 days. Fortunately the trip was much more than the headwinds, rain, hail, severe thunderstorms etc that we experienced. Our route was along the southern tier of the USA so we saw mountains, deserts, ranches, cities large & small, swamps, rivers. We went through areas that had recently been devastated by a hurricane. What better way to see all this than from the seat of my Q45? There was so much I could talk about, but the one thing that stands out to me is that we crossed the desert while it was in bloom. If you ever have the chance to see that, do it! The other thing that stands out for me is the people that I encountered. That includes the other riders in my group (there were a total of 43 of us), the staff of the tour, local residents along the way & other riders we connected with as we crossed the country.

I am happy to report that my Q45 performed flawlessly. I am very happy that I changed the cassette from the stock 11-36 to an 11-42. I needed it for some of the hills. I even thought to myself, "why don't they just include an 11-42 stock with the bike?" Guess what - the 2019 model Q45 has exactly that. Must have been reading my mind. I am also happy with the Thor seat & headrest I installed. My level of comfort was envied by all the other riders. I did replace my chain after about 2,000 miles. I wasn't having trouble with it, but the mechanic measured the links and recommended a change. I only had one flat tire the whole ride, which I attribute to luck more than anything else. There were riders who had 20 or more flats. Here I am riding in Texas:

Riding.jpg

You may notice the bandage on my left knee. I went down on a rainy day on a patch of mud that I thought might end my quest, but X-Rays said nothing was broken. I could pedal without pain, but walking was difficult. I managed another 800 miles after that experience, but it took some of the fun out of it.

I was most surprised by the interest my Q45 had from the other riders. There was only one other recumbent, a P-38, but I was the only Cruzbike. I had lots of conversations about the bike & offered to let folks try it on one of our off days, but had few takers. It was very common for me to get questions, like on a windy day "Was that recumbent all over the road today?" Actually the windy days were to my advantage. I would pass stronger riders because I was much more aerodynamic. And everyone agreed I was more comfortable for the whole ride. I warned them there was a learning curve with a Cruzbike, but it is well worth it in my opinion.

All the learning, planning, training & effort was well rewarded when this picture was taken at the Atlantic Ocean in St Augustine.

St Augustine lift bike.jpg

I can heartily recommend to everyone that this was a worthwhile experience. Lots more details are available on the blog I wrote during the trip: jimscruiseacrossamerica.blogspot.com

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@woodguy
Awesome pictures, report, blog - enjoyed every bit of it.

A couple quick curiosity questions: With the seat post upside-down did you ever have it rubbing on the tire? What angle is your seat with that configuration. Do you have a build thread on the Thor seat attachment and rack attachments? I can't quite tell but they don't look exactly stock from what I can see on the pictures.

woodguy

@woodguy
Awesome pictures, report, blog - enjoyed every bit of it.

A couple quick curiosity questions: With the seat post upside-down did you ever have it rubbing on the tire? What angle is your seat with that configuration. Do you have a build thread on the Thor seat attachment and rack attachments? I can't quite tell but they don't look exactly stock from what I can see on the pictures.
There is not an issue with the seat post rubbing on the tire. I have at least 2" of clearance and even when the rear shock is engaged there is plenty of clearance.

The Thor seat is the reason that I ended up with the seat post upside down. The seat is at about 33 degrees. Sorry I don't have a build thread for mounting the seat, but I will say it required a bit of creativity. I was surprised how small the package was when the seat arrived & I wish there would have been more instructions, but what I did seemed to work because I managed to ride 2,800 miles with no problems. If you get a Thor, don't take off the pieces of masking tape on the back side right away because they mark where the seat is reinforced for mounting. I learned that too late. A page is sent along with approximate dimensions of where the reinforcement is & I was able to use that. Basically I used the mounting brackets that the stock seat comes with to attach the Thor to the frame. The creativity occurred with the rear mount. The stock rear mounting bracket didn't fit between the struts on the Thor & the angle wasn't right anyway. I basically carved a piece of wood to fit between the seat struts & then mounted the stock rear bracket to it. That required some longer screws. Because of the angle, I needed to mount the seat post upside down, but is plenty strong that way. I also had to get creative with the rear rack, but in the end I am happy with the result.

I ordered the headrest with the Thor even though I read some other forum posts that said they didn't like it, or never used it. Again, mounting it was a bit of an adventure, but after a little trial and error on placement I find that it gives my neck nice support. It catches my head below the helmet and prevents me from having to stress my neck muscles. The whole set up is quite comfortable for me. I find that I do sit up in the seat for better visibility when coming to a corner and looking for traffic, but otherwise I really ride in comfort.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Yes, my Coast 2 Coast ride is complete. Here are some of the highlights:

View attachment 7848

This picture at the Pacific Ocean was a foreshadowing of the weather we would experience over the next 52 days. Fortunately the trip was much more than the headwinds, rain, hail, severe thunderstorms etc that we experienced. Our route was along the southern tier of the USA so we saw mountains, deserts, ranches, cities large & small, swamps, rivers. We went through areas that had recently been devastated by a hurricane. What better way to see all this than from the seat of my Q45? There was so much I could talk about, but the one thing that stands out to me is that we crossed the desert while it was in bloom. If you ever have the chance to see that, do it! The other thing that stands out for me is the people that I encountered. That includes the other riders in my group (there were a total of 43 of us), the staff of the tour, local residents along the way & other riders we connected with as we crossed the country.

I am happy to report that my Q45 performed flawlessly. I am very happy that I changed the cassette from the stock 11-36 to an 11-42. I needed it for some of the hills. I even thought to myself, "why don't they just include an 11-42 stock with the bike?" Guess what - the 2019 model Q45 has exactly that. Must have been reading my mind. I am also happy with the Thor seat & headrest I installed. My level of comfort was envied by all the other riders. I did replace my chain after about 2,000 miles. I wasn't having trouble with it, but the mechanic measured the links and recommended a change. I only had one flat tire the whole ride, which I attribute to luck more than anything else. There were riders who had 20 or more flats. Here I am riding in Texas:

View attachment 7850

You may notice the bandage on my left knee. I went down on a rainy day on a patch of mud that I thought might end my quest, but X-Rays said nothing was broken. I could pedal without pain, but walking was difficult. I managed another 800 miles after that experience, but it took some of the fun out of it.

I was most surprised by the interest my Q45 had from the other riders. There was only one other recumbent, a P-38, but I was the only Cruzbike. I had lots of conversations about the bike & offered to let folks try it on one of our off days, but had few takers. It was very common for me to get questions, like on a windy day "Was that recumbent all over the road today?" Actually the windy days were to my advantage. I would pass stronger riders because I was much more aerodynamic. And everyone agreed I was more comfortable for the whole ride. I warned them there was a learning curve with a Cruzbike, but it is well worth it in my opinion.

All the learning, planning, training & effort was well rewarded when this picture was taken at the Atlantic Ocean in St Augustine.

View attachment 7852

I can heartily recommend to everyone that this was a worthwhile experience. Lots more details are available on the blog I wrote during the trip: jimscruiseacrossamerica.blogspot.com

Congratulations!
Nice setup too! That Thor seat mount detail would also be appreciated.

Deserts in bloom! you lucky man, I've seen it in Algeria and it's a memory that will last.

Looks like a great ride. I don't think I'd ever manage that, but I have lingering plans of top to toe of the UK in mind

DocS

Guru
I just read your blog and am inspired!

I've been wanting to do something like this!
Now, I'm going to seriously look more into it!

Blessings,
DocS