aerojacket cover on my Vendetta :)

Many thanks to Rich at Wheelbuilder for digging up and selling me (2) non drive side covers for my 50mm deep wheels. And thanks to folks here for all the information.
FYI , there is a dish difference of aprox .25" / side between the front wheel and the rear wheel due to the Front hub being narrower. The hole in the cover is also quite a bit larger than the front hub diameter.
To make everything sit well without the cover warping or shifting I drew up an adapter and printed a couple.
The adapter is tapered on the ID to match the 3deg taper on the OD of my hubs. This provides a nice press fit so it wont shift or rattle. There is also a flange on the back side so I could glue it to the inside of the cover. Keeps it secure and nice and clean on the outside.
Storming today so I'll test tomorrow.
andy aerojacket 2.jpg hub adapter.jpg

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Looks fantastic well done. Once you’re up around that 36-40 klm per hour mark you will see more speed. 3-2 klm per hour thereabouts.

My abs covers now protect my boat wheels from the sun. You’ve never seen such a fast boat trailer. :)

DAB71D21-3CC1-4CC7-8A67-48EB408E9C4E.jpeg

Of course I’m now wanting to revisit wheel covers and am contemplating monokote covers.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I've seen your Strava data, you are fast enough already. Now I gotta get a disc, wax the frame, carbon fairings AND front spokes, use fingernail clippers to neatly trim the rubber knubbies on the tires leftover from the rubber injection process, and remove the front skewer springs to try and make my bike as light and aero as possible to keep up with you guys.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
36-40kph? Welp, I am outta luck. Jeez! I need to work out. Or some doping. Anyone got a Vivax motor hanging around?

Lovely looking trailer wheel. You can get to the sloshy fun earlier.

I too want to give the Monokote a try.

First ride today on a 40 mile loop that I have done before. It was windy and I was faster but my ave watts were also higher so initially I say it’s a wash. But I did feel more stable even with a crosswind.

jond

Zen MBB Master
There is a reason the pros use them in the tt. Yes sure there is an element of feel fast look fast you are fast. Any benefit won’t appear till you’re over 33 to 35 klm per hr

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
There is a big difference what the pros use and what most of the tribe uses.

A look alike disc wheel I guess is like 75% as good as the real thing.

I never have seen a study but I approximate. Bolt thru axles instead of quick release skewers would probably be 7watts and 5000 dollars for a new bike with real thin disc wheel that has a miniscule cda.

Not going to happen is it.

Reducing drag is key but usually its the size of your body which is probably the most irritating term in the solution.

LOL

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Those last few watts (marginal gains) cost a lot don't they? I am preaching to the choir here, but switching from a road bike to a TT/Tri bike saves quite a few watts just from getting the torso as horizontal as possible, and the forearms out of the airflow. Switching to a recumbent does both of those, plus getting the calves out of the airflow too. Getting deep wheels or a disc saves some more watts and the same with putting the cables inside the frame. But you are right, losing weight to not only be able to accelerate and climb faster, but to be smaller is an advantage aerodynamically.
P.S. You can tell I am bored and have too much time on my hands. I wish it would stop raining :(

jond

Zen MBB Master
When cruzbike did their aero testing in the windtunnel Jim compared to larry and Maria was much less aero due to his taller bigger body. Check out the blog for actual watts.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
When cruzbike did their aero testing in the windtunnel Jim compared to larry and Maria was much less aero due to his taller bigger body. Check out the blog for actual watts.

I gave it a read. That is a significant difference. I also noticed that Maria had the long chainstays, which exposed her knees at the top of the pedal stroke moreso than if she had the shorter chainstays. This got me thinking that my bike having the long chainstays and me being 176cm might be costing me some power. I already have the boom pushed all the way in which puts it at "3". The only way to get the pedals closer is to pull the boom out and chop off a few centimeters, but that would get my BB higher than it already is.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I gave it a read. That is a significant difference. I also noticed that Maria had the long chainstays, which exposed her knees at the top of the pedal stroke moreso than if she had the shorter chainstays. This got me thinking that my bike having the long chainstays and me being 176cm might be costing me some power. I already have the boom pushed all the way in which puts it at "3". The only way to get the pedals closer is to pull the boom out and chop off a few centimeters, but that would get my BB higher than it already is.

yep we are all physically different. Being smaller is an aero advantage. Edit but longer limbs have a mechanical advantage and the air is better up here. ;)

the consensus seems to be knees at eye level no higher as you’ll see diminishing returns.

chain stays I thought once came in five sizes. Not sure if they do now. Only three now possibly. So maximum aero it’s a compromise and luck of the draw depending upon your individual physiology

The large chainstay on the v20 compared to large on V2 were the same length. However the V2 larger tubing and longer radius bend meant the boom was almost horizontal at my body height. The v20 boom was angled down more due to smaller tube and tighter smaller radius bend. At six one I just fit a large chainstay but maybe I’d be more suited to a medium in terms of aero. Larry promised to build a windtunnel network right.

I’m sure Maria has her position sorted and maximised for aero comfort.

in the end fast is comfortable first aero second on any ride over a few hours.

therefore your bb position is set in stone with a 5 mm literal margin.

to go faster get fitter. That is advice to myself since I’ve lost much which cannot be attributable to age alone. Right that’s it I’m going to be my best and get back to fitness away from my hazy lazy daze;)

zwift zwift is the answer.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Some people hit the genetic lottery. The rest of us just have to make do :(

If the knees at eye level is the best starting point then I think I have a couple of centimeters of knees sticking out where the air up there is clearer. I need to find someone who has shorter chainstays and wants to swap.

With that said, it is time to say goodbye to my old 420mm bullhorn bars, TT shifters and the iron brake levers. I just bought some new 390mm flared Nitto bars to swap out, and put back on the brifters. I'd really like to go with my Campagnolo Chorus RD and Brifters because they are quite a bit lighter than my R7000 105s, but I think I will go with the heavy and clunky for training. That way when I put on the go fast stuff I'll hopefully be much faster.

Go get 'em braddah. You are still getting plenty of speed, but getting old sucks eh? Gotta show Father Time that we haven't given up the ghost just yet. Besides, I trust the Paramedics. Those peeps are pretty capable so just do what we gotta do so that later we have no "What if?" or "I should have..." moments.

Yeah, I might be able to get on Zwift, but I am not sure if I can with my just my 4iiii PM and fluid trainer. :confused:

Don1

Guru
That's a yes to the zwift question. Fluid trainer and power meter covers you for all smart training apps. Zwift rouvy fulgaz rgt, they all work the same.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I've seen your Strava data, you are fast enough already. Now I gotta get a disc, wax the frame, carbon fairings AND front spokes, use fingernail clippers to neatly trim the rubber knubbies on the tires leftover from the rubber injection process, and remove the front skewer springs to try and make my bike as light and aero as possible to keep up with you guys.
I am thinking of using some ceramic coating that I use on the car on the bike. The bugs and dirt don't stick its goto be worth it.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I am thinking of using some ceramic coating that I use on the car on the bike. The bugs and dirt don't stick its goto be worth it.
I hear bug guts severely increase aerodynamic drag. Might wanna put some of that ceramic coating on the spokes too just in case :D

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
That's a yes to the zwift question. Fluid trainer and power meter covers you for all smart training apps. Zwift rouvy fulgaz rgt, they all work the same.
That's good to hear Don. I just might be able to ride and work at the same time.

I still want to get my wheel discs sorted. Monokote will work for a bit, but it would be nice to have something I can remove or install in a few minutes.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Frito Bandito said:
pull the boom out and chop off a few centimeters
I did this to my Silvio and had a very high BB. The S40 does not seem to need it. Maybe it has a bigger range of adjustability. I also have 130 cranks. I had 140 before. So I still have the "high BB, low power" problem, but it is exacerbated by the "short cranks, low power" problem.

Frito Bandito said:
getting old sucks
Everybody knows that you either get old or die young, but COPD makes me feel as if I have been cheated. There is no way I can compete, even in my age-category, even if I had a Vendetta. But with a high BB and short cranks I do not do myself any favours. To me, aero just means breathing.