aerojacket cover on my Vendetta :)

jond

Zen MBB Master
I did this to my Silvio and had a very high BB. The S40 does not seem to need it. Maybe it has a bigger range of adjustability. I also have 130 cranks. I had 140 before. So I still have the "high BB, low power" problem, but it is exacerbated by the "short cranks, low power" problem.

Everybody knows that you either get old or die young, but COPD makes me feel as if I have been cheated. There is no way I can compete, even in my age-category, even if I had a Vendetta. But with a high BB and short cranks I do not do myself any favours. To me, aero just means breathing.

you are right. Getting old is a privilege and there is no gain complaining about aches and pains. Someone out there has or had it much worse.

So I got back on Zwift. Kickr smart trainer but my Bluetooth hr monitor is rust. Rode 50 klm. Told me my ftp is 270 watts. Sweating. Was good. The ride was boring. Still the legs were okay.

meh I’ll try keep at it maybe do a training program. Maybe try a race. Maybe. ;)

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Keep at it braddah. I finally reached 251w FTP on my V20 (95% of 264w for 19:47) on my most recent ride) at 77kg (3.2w/kg) so I get a bit more perk in my step :D

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
You guys both have me beat on FTP. Strava shows my estimated FTP as 230 watts.
I am sure that yours will get much higher. I think within a month of solid riding my V20 speed was faster than my DF speed, but my power was definitely lower, probably by 20-30 watts or so. An FTP check some months ago had me at about 15w less than my DFs power I had in January, and only during the last ride on my V20 did I reach my DF power. So, that is about 8 months of just sticking my nose to the grindstone to match the power, which could have been reached earlier with a dedicated training routine. I haven't even bothered to compare the speeds because I have been focusing more on endurance. Apples to oranges, but I know it is faster. I think it'll take you less time to match your DF power. With that said, and considering wheel choice, I think using the Sciroccos laced with heavy and low RR 25mm(r) and 28mm(f) Marathons have made a pretty big difference in forcing me to push harder to keep up with the speeds I was getting on my fast wheels and tires.

I don't read much into my FTP. I've always performed at a higher level than my FTP would suggest compared to my other riding mates with power meters. I just came to the conclusion that Garmin Vector power meters read lower than other brands that they have. I have climbed 5-10% climbs on my DF (more about weight than aero) with mates of similar weight with 50W less power. I have had several Garmin power meters and same with all of them... so not something about the particular meter I am using. I did achieve a Strava FTP estimate of 290W about 18 months ago on my DF. At this time I was able to do a 10 minute climb with 340W average. That is the best I have been. At the time mates were doing about 380W up the same climb. I can't see myself getting to that level on the V20... I would be happy to get to around 260W FTP. That should get me to about 45kph on a flat road at current at current CdA on my V20.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I don't read much into my FTP. I've always performed at a higher level than my FTP would suggest compared to my other riding mates with power meters. I just came to the conclusion that Garmin Vector power meters read lower than other brands that they have. I have climbed 5-10% climbs on my DF (more about weight than aero) with mates of similar weight with 50W less power. I have had several Garmin power meters and same with all of them... so not something about the particular meter I am using. I did achieve a Strava FTP estimate of 290W about 18 months ago on my DF. At this time I was able to do a 10 minute climb with 340W average. That is the best I have been. At the time mates were doing about 380W up the same climb. I can't see myself getting to that level on the V20... I would be happy to get to around 260W FTP. That should get me to about 45kph on a flat road at current at current CdA on my V20.

you are 100% right vossi. A flash update of my ftp from 265 to 270 based on one hour and some minutes ride is laughable and meaningless. Power meter on my kickr has not been calibrated and same for my power tap hub meters .

Mate I never could hold 340 watts for ten minutes. Even in my dreams. I can see from your training I’ve got a lot lot lot of work to do if I wish to try and hang with you and to be frank I’ve been lazy lazy lazy. And result !! I’m out of time to train too....

. I don’t exude power I have chicken legs with chook power. If I can hold 220 watts over the eighty klm I’ll be very happy. It’s a lumpy course as you know. We shall see. But make no mistake vossi. It’s on. The Aussie race. A chance to ride with another vendetta pilot is gold. So I’ll be somewhat fitter by then. Aim to hang with you all the way beat dome finish second. Or first. ;)

remember if you don’t lap a near 60 year old man you lose . That’s fair.

words lol. It’s on on on mate. No vomiting or excuses or over exuberant celebrations allowed. Or mechanicals . ;)

one thing for sure it will be nice to meet you. I hope paul comes along too.

Well.... if its on..... then its on on on! I'm not confident it will be on though!

My training is coming on OK. I'm not really making big leaps in my power outputs, but I keep getting faster, so must be getting better technique... and improving the bike CdA. Hopefully the tail box I am working on improves that a bit more.... and maybe a disk addon for the rear wheel. I think I should be good for a pretty slippery setup with a CdA well under 0.2 (0.17??).

Power wise.... currently I could do 200-210W average for 2 hours. Should get a bit better by November... so maybe 220W like you. If it was a flat course I think that would have me comfortably over 40kph. But at EC... I'm not sure? Probably high 30s.

Either way, I'm keen to ride with you, Paul, Dome in the relay team if others are keen... but otherwise, I will just ride to power and see what comes of it!