Amateur aerodynamics

Jim Gerwing

This is the end

image(154).jpg
image(154).jpg

Jim Gerwing

Slow on the uptake

Good one, Charles:
it took me three days before the pun darned on me and then I was in stitches.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Good one, Charles:it took me

Good one, Charles:
it took me three days before the pun darned on me and then I was in stitches.

Man, you're really going to string us along here aren't you.

For those of you hoping these rope puns will stop soon, well I'm a frayed knot.

scabinetguy

Got tired

I got tired of the wind in my face and after hearing Bob complain about how un-aerodynamic his face is, I decided to try this on my Vendetta. After a short trial I found that it does eliminate a lot of air around my face and ears. When I look at myself on the bike it's obvious that my face and helmet are quite a drag( when it comes to the air that is). I think the only other solution would be a full aero helmet. I'll be able to tell more next week after my 40mi. daily ride.

scabinetguy

In my face

No air on my face, however, I feel a little air around my ears and at the top of my helmet. I'm going to change the shape to be wider at the top (about an 1 1/2") and narrower at the base (1/2"). Also, I think I'll make the base out of 1/2"polycarbonate and decrease the radius slightly, might look better. All in all, it works pretty good.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Dial that in

sweet smallest fairing ever. Get that dialed in and get terra cycle to produce them for the s30 and v20. That would solve my aero problem for installing a computer right there on the bars.... I really need to learn to work with aluminum

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Gotta Say...

That fairing is pretty cool, very clean and compact looking.

Are you looking through it or over it?

And could it keep the rain off my face at speed?

scabinetguy

Dialed in

I think I have it dialed in now, change in shape and fastening method. Rick, you really don't notice the foil when riding the bike from a visual standpoint. Don't know about the rain. It feels as if your riding with the wind all the time because you don't have the wind blasting your face. I have about 140 mi. so far, fairly cool weather. I changed the fasteners to zip ties, the same ones the police use when they arrest you for public intoxication.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Anarchratz,Yeah - I've seen

Anarchratz,
Yeah - I've seen those - never pulled the trigger.
Thought this might have a similar effect - and yes, look a lot less silly.

Come to think of it - my new Bumblief helmet should work too. :)

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Ratz! I actually clicked

Ratz! I actually clicked through to the cat-ears.
They've changed since I looked last.

Not NEARLY as silly looking as before.
These are totally tolerable now.

meow.