Any one using roller trainer?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I just got an Elite roller trainer as I don't want to mess with taking wheel off or clamping onto the qr skewer, both of which I have tried. I set it up last night and tried it for 15 min. I must say it was very scary. I was holding onto the side railing all that time with my front wheel wobbling left and right.

Does anyone use roller trainer? Any suggestions?

mattwall

I ride on rollers on a Silvio 1.5 . I ride in my garage and put the rollers in a narrow space between the wall and my SUV. Being very close to something helps keep you centred on the rollers. I also have a mirror on the wall in front of the bike so I can see where the front wheel is on the rollers without looking down.
I would put a piece of plywood between you and the car until you have mastered the rollers to avoid scratching the car.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I like the mirror idea.

How long did it take you to feel comfortable riding on the roller trainer without holding onto the wall?

mzweili

Guru
I ride on rollers on a Silvio 1.5 . I ride in my garage and put the rollers in a narrow space between the wall and my SUV. Being very close to something helps keep you centred on the rollers. I also have a mirror on the wall in front of the bike so I can see where the front wheel is on the rollers without looking down.
+1 It's a similar setup I have in my basement. Riding my Silvio 2.1 during winter time.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I used to use rollers when I first got my Silvio and then with my Vendetta.
I even built a plywood deck under it so just the tops of the rollers showed through. That way if I fell or put my foot down, it was not so dangerous.
It does take some practice and always a lot of concentration.
I just ride way to much indoors to want to have to concentrate that much, plus I really like the smart trainers and write and ride against specific workout now indoors.
There may be "smart-trainer" rollers out there too, but I am super happy with my KICKR, plus I can't fall over.
Wax your chain, then mounting and un-mounting any bike to a trainer is lickity split and grease free. I can do it so fast now, it is just 2nd nature.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I would put a piece of plywood between you and the car until you have mastered the rollers to avoid scratching the car.
Pictures speak ... just had to say it ;)

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I wasn't implying that it was impossible to ride rollers but that it may be more difficult on a vendetta. Now I'm interested. Do u get the push pull effect?

mzweili

Guru
What are your tips on learning how to ride on the roller?
I have a 3ft wide corridor in my basement. That helps a lot. But still without the mirror in front, I wouldn't be able to ride. Initially it takes a lot of concentration. I prefer to have the front wheel on the double roller, it feels less twitchy.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
An alterantive to achieve a push/pull effect is to suspend the rear part of the cruzbike on a string as originally demonstrated by former Cruzbike original designer and Co-founder John Tolhurst: Which, by the way, would the best way to safely teach new riders the counter steer effect of a cruzbike!

Last edited:

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have a 3ft wide corridor in my basement. That helps a lot. But still without the mirror in front, I wouldn't be able to ride. Initially it takes a lot of concentration. I prefer to have the front wheel on the double roller, it feels less twitchy.
I will go get a mirror from the thrift store and give that a try. Thanks!

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Here is the update.

I got a mirror and it definitely helps. After practicing for a couple hours, I still couldn't balance on the roller trainer with S40. When I took my hand off the side, I just became too wobbly and would fall to the side or roll back.
Not wanting to give up, I kept thinking of ways to stabilize the bike. So I came up with this idea and built it over the past couple days. Essentially it's a platform to hold the rear of the bike in place. I got a 3 in swivel and 100mm Sunlite fork mount from Amazon. Got a wood crate from Michael's for the base. A couple steel plates from Home Depot to secure the sides. I test rode the final setup on the roller trainer. Much better. At least I don't have to worry that I will fall over even though I still need to hold onto a support sometimes. I can concentrate on stabilize front end much better.

Here are the pictures:

Final setup:
P1020872.JPG

Platform:
P1020875.JPG

It can swivel which works well as the front wheel sways left and right.
P1020874.JPG

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I use a SportCrafters Omnium, but have to restrict the front wheel from any turning or side to side motion. The rollers are very narrow and it's easy to fall off. The progressive resistance works nicely. The rollers are quiet.
Thank you guys. I did consider both types of SportCrafters roller trainers. However, as you indicated, their rollers are very narrow, and I am sure I will fall off in the first 10 seconds. The Elite parabolic rollers are nice in that they have lips on both sides to prevent wheels from falling off. I may return this dumb trainer to Performance Bike and get their Elite Arion Smart trainer when they have 20% off coupon again. I kind of like the ability of front end to sway left and right on the roller trainer because it seems to place less strain on the knees.