Are you a pusher or puller?

billyk

Guru
I am often enough wrong, and don't mind being corrected.

But I think @Henri and @JerseyJim are talking about something entirely different than gaining extra power by using your arms/hands/upper body (the big selling point of Cruzbike, and the reason these bikes are better climbers than other recumbents). They're talking about balancing pedal steer, which is minor and becomes automatic in the first few weeks of riding. It requires little force (as shown by the fact that many of us can ride these bikes no-hands). Sure you can balance pedal steer by either pushing or pulling on the bars, but it seems of small importance.

If we're talking about the CB advantage by engaging the upper body, @benphyr said it well above: The only way the bike is propelled is by exerting a forward force on the pedals with your feet. To do that you need a countering force that braces your feet pushing forward, otherwise they would just push your body backwards (Newton's 3rd law).

How can we gain that countering force? It has to be directed forward. There are two ways to do it:
1) Push against the seat back (the seat balances the leg push)
2) Pull with your arms (the handlebars balance the leg push)
Either of these results in bracing your legs so your feet can push strongly on the pedals. A traditional recumbent allows only the first.
In practice we use both methods: for easy cruising the first is fine, but when you want to accelerate, or climb, or sprint, add the second. That's the CB advantage.

In no way can pushing forward with your hands on the bars balance pushing forward with your feet. It has no effect on the force you can exert with your feet. All it does is try to push two relatively immoveable objects apart: the bars and the seat back. It's like standing in a narrow hallway and pushing against both walls: a useless waste of energy.

The design of CB bikes (the front triangle and strong handlebars) is all about being able to use your whole body to gain maximum push forward with the feet against the pedals. Those of us who've been through a few generations of CBs saw the early Quest models evolve to strengthen that front triangle, explicitly to make it more effective to pull on the bars to add extra power.

That's why the boom now connects directly to the bars with a big beefy tube: you get to pull directly against the bottom bracket. And why CB handlebars are thicker and stronger than those needed by traditional recumbents, which can be quite flimsy because they are just holding the brakes and shifters convenient to where your hands are (note the fold-down handlebar stems on many Bacchetta bikes). Both of these add weight, but are worth it by allowing this new form of usable power.

If you doubt the power that the arms and upper body can put out, consider rowing a boat (or a racing shell). The motion is to lean back and pull with your arms; as long as the feet are braced it's a very powerful motion. It's like what we do in reverse. Now try rowing a boat without bracing your feet: you will find that the power goes right away. That ability to use the feet to brace the arm-and-back pull in a boat, or the arms and back to brace the foot-push (on a CB bike) maximizes the strength of the human body.

Henri

scatter brain
About ergonomics I won't speak as confidently as I can not simulate those in my head es well, before owning a Cruzbike. But I still came to some estimations to throw into the room and hear your takes on them:
(Too bad, that hopping on my existing recumbent for some observations is too much of a hassle in my current situation.)
- Humans kare not used to bracing themselves with their backs. Bracing with your hands may be more intuitive. (Especially for upright cyclists.)
- Being more stable in the upper body allows more movement in the lower body, like arching your back, angling your pelvis to have ideal hip angle for a bigger part of the stroke.
- Especially when pushing one pedal and pulling the other or actively "sliding" your feet through the "dead spot" (so very "round pedaling", using every part of the circle), you create angular momentum, that wants to slide or roll your body off the seat. This could be countered most efficiently with the omnidirectional locking of your hands on the drop bars.
- And of course the flatter the seat, the more you might slide along it, when pushing the pedal hard, so additional pull in the handle bars might just substitute a lack in back bracing.

I really should stop thinking about it so much. It's way too long untill I can get a V20. (Will order as soon as available again.)

Rampa

Guru
Another way to look at it would be that if you pull or push the cranks to the side of the power stroke, you are basically lengthening your power stroke. This is because the distance from hip to pedal is shortened, allowing for a bit push before the power stroke ends.

JerseyJim

Speaking for myself, I was talking about more than balancing pedal steer.

Riding no-hands on a MBB is different than sprinting or climbing. The forces are much greater when sprinting or climbing and require more balancing force than the opposite leg only can provide. As a result, upper body is needed.

If what's being said here is that when I press the pedal with my right foot, I must pull with my right arm if I want extra power but if I push with my left arm there is no extra power, that makes no sense (to me) because the resultant torque around the steering axis is in the same direction in both cases. It's like saying if I turn a steering wheel by dropping my right hand and turn right, I can't also turn right by raising my left hand even though the steering wheel turns in the same direction when I do so. Or if I turn with both hands on the wheel, only one hand is contributing.

Here's an experiment: Measure out a short length of straight road and do an all out sprint along that length. Do it 3 times just pushing against the power stroke of your pedaling and 3 times just pulling with the power stroke. Then note any differences in power if you have a power meter, or elapsed time if you don't.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master

Riding no-hands on a MBB is different than sprinting or climbing. The forces are much greater when sprinting or climbing and require more balancing force than the opposite leg only can provide. As a result, upper body is needed.

Agreed.

I think Iam a puller when climbing or accellerating.. maybe. Everything seems second nature for me that sometimes it's hard to tell whether Iam actually pulling or pushing or a little of both ( rythmic, alternating push/pull).

Last edited:

Nino

Riding the Cruzbike without hands is more of a circus trick

billyk

Guru
Riding the Cruzbike without hands is more of a circus trick
Actually, if you tried it you'd find that it's surprisingly easy and comfortable for cruising along. No circus trick. Plenty of hints here about how to learn it. Not such a big deal (start gradually by loosening your grip; see advice). To me it was part of feeling like I really controlled the bike. Plus it frees up your hands for texting, doing your makeup, eating lunch ...

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I agree with both of you. I recently learned to ride no hands on my S30, simply to see if I could do it (I can). It didn't take me long to realize this: when riding a DF bike, I, and most others, ride no hands for a time to give our neck and shoulders a short break, and to briefly shift our weight off of that tiny spot that we've been grinding to a pulp with our ass-hatchet saddles. The CB, just by its design, renders all of that moot. None of those parts hurt, so they don't need a break. Also, when riding my S30 with no hands, I have to tighten up my core to maintain a straight enough line, slowing my speed, shortening my breath, and introducing fatigue that I wouldn't otherwise have. Yes, it did give me a better sense of how my feet play into the handling, and yes, it is a super-cool circus trick. But beyond that, it's a really inefficient way to ride an efficient bike. Once I proved to myself that I can do it, I quickly stopped doing it.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
...no hands, I have to tighten up my core to maintain a straight enough line, slowing my speed, shortening my breath, and introducing fatigue that I wouldn't otherwise have. ... But beyond that, it's a really inefficient way to ride an efficient bike. Once I proved to myself that I can do it, I quickly stopped doing it.
@chicorider I have 35-45 degree seat back angle bikes and that could make a difference.

The tightening core, slowing, additional fatigue, etc. all sound very similar to the initial learning to ride - perhaps 1000km of riding no hands would make it not so fatiguing...:p

No hands is certainly less efficient, but when no hands allows undoing a tricky zipper, peeling a wrapper, or taking off a jacket while riding it is much more efficient than stopping.

And for me it is plain fun.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I've been riding my V20 for almost 2 years and I have a hard time taking my left hand off the bars what am I doing wrong?
I use my right hand for getting the bottle, opening the Moose pack for stuff, changing the playlist...etc. It got weird when I tried with my left, but I am getting better at using it with practice. I even rode a little yesterday without hands in short bursts, and tried putting my hands in the gunner position for a kilometer or so. It takes a bit of practice to get used to doing things left handed so practice it often.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I am right handed, so I use that hand to grab, drink from, and stow my water bottle. But since in America, we ride on the right side of the road, my left hand is for waving to passing cyclists (and I wave to all of them--especially the too-pro-to-wave riders). I am comfortable with taking either hand off the bars, and maybe my waving habit has something to do with that (though having six years on the V might also help). Keep practicing and it will get better.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I really should stop thinking about it so much.

This is always the best advice I can give. People try top break down the "forces" and what its going on too much. A light pressure forward on both bars to brace everything and pedal smoothly away. It is really that simple. Difficulty in the balance has more to do with seat angle than anything - on a V20 or any other low seat angle recumbent. That said - the slightly tweaked geometry on the upcoming V is sublime. Like - SUBLIME.

Yes, one can push pull to counter pressure, etc to get out the power on a sprint or climb - but again to me that is a simple thing of coordination. Even in that case the more technical it is in the mind the harder it is in real life.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I do the same Tuloose. My first several rides I was steering all over the place because of unfamiliarity with this new style of applying pressure on the bars and pedals while keeping the bike relatively straight. I suppose I have always been a puller on the bars because when I tried to push on the bars the other day as you mentioned Robert I found out real quick that I am a puller. Maybe it was because I was either doing it wrong, ie. pushing on the wrong side of the bar as I pedaled, or not doing it smoothly. It got my attention for sure, but I can see how pushing would be beneficial though, especially when your grip is tired, aching and weakening.

Tuloose

Guru
This is always the best advice I can give. People try top break down the "forces" and what its going on too much. A light pressure forward on both bars to brace everything and pedal smoothly away. It is really that simple. Difficulty in the balance has more to do with seat angle than anything - on a V20 or any other low seat angle recumbent. That said - the slightly tweaked geometry on the upcoming V is sublime. Like - SUBLIME.

Yes, one can push pull to counter pressure, etc to get out the power on a sprint or climb - but again to me that is a simple thing of coordination. Even in that case the more technical it is in the mind the harder it is in real life.

Damn, Robert, with accolades like that for the new Vendettta from you, one of the most knowledgeable of the Cruzbike Tribe, I may have to make a visit to Rose City Cycles as soon as you have the new V in stock.

Last edited:
Actually, if you tried it you'd find that it's surprisingly easy and comfortable for cruising along. No circus trick. Plenty of hints here about how to learn it. Not such a big deal (start gradually by loosening your grip; see advice). To me it was part of feeling like I really controlled the bike. Plus it frees up your hands for texting, doing your makeup, eating lunch ...

I always thought riding a Cruzbike with no hands looked really relaxing and I'm hoping I'll get comfortable enough to figure it out some day. But texting AND makeup? I'm SUPER motivated now