Assault on the Carolinas Ride: No recumbents allowed?

Ken Rudd

S40, Apex, NC
I was planning on doing the "Assault on the Carolinas" Ride April 4th, and was reading the FAQ:
https://www.assaultonthecarolinas.com/faq

And first paragraph was this:

What type of bike should I ride? The AOTC is designed for road bikes—lightweight bikes with thin tires (> 100psi) and multiple gears built for speed on paved roads. For safety of all riders and logistical considerations, please, no recumbent bikes, elliptical bikes, mountain bikes, unicycles, tri-bikes / aerobars, or motorized bikes.

I am contacting them for clarification, but have never seen such a recumbent restriction on a social/fundraising ride.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I talked (digitally) myself blue in the face with the Grand Fondo New York folks over the winter. They could come up w no reasonable justification for the “no recumbent” policy but stuck to it just the same.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
When critical mass is reached the organizers who said "no" to recumbents are going to kick themselves as they miss out on a generation worth of customers / participants.

#$#$#$ Alert, alert! We interrupt your regular programming to bring you this special learning opportunity: We are the privileged few who ride recumbents. When denied entry based on cl-ass position we are given the opportunity to know how it feels to be the unprivileged masses who are treated as second class or as completely class-less. Alert, alert - Learning opportunity - alert, Alert! We now return you to your regular scheduled programming.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I'm just waiting for someone to sue under the ADA.
They're inviting a lawsuit for silly reasons.
:(

I'll do it.

On a funny note, I was on my routine training ride in the beautiful country side of Western NJ (no, not an oxymoron) and unbeknownst to me there was one of those $350 bike rides going on. Well, riders were telling me to get off their course, stop poaching their ride.....ah....dude, I pay the taxes for the roads that you are riding.....roads that I ride every day.

Back on point. Pretty disgusting. Some 24 hour races specifically prohibit recumbents or two spoke whells.....Marko Baloh....not to mention anyone

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
The Grand Fondo NY folks told me that their event is on closed roads and that patrols would be looking for and removing any riders not displaying an event number. I don't know these folks but in my several conversations with them they seemed uncommonly militant.

Ken Rudd

S40, Apex, NC
Why not just show up and ride along as a non-signed up rider? Is this on public roads?
Not really my style, but could certainly be fun! But there is enough animosity from cars on the road, I don't want to create friction with other cyclists as well. I'd rather as least try to educate them and be a welcome addition. If that doesn't work, to heck with it, there are DOZENS of other well run rides in North Carolina alone. I'll give my entry fees (and volunteer efforts) to groups who value my attendance.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Senseless discrimination. Pursue it. Defeat it. It’s an affront to common sense and decency. Let them explain safety and logistics. Pah let’s call it out.

you can turn it around. We have had a few wins eg Sydney motor way events excluded us but upon questioning agreed we could start at the back and not intermingle. Also non prize eligible. But hey we are on the same bus.

And guess what we are welcome now. As a side show of course.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
why you name dropping Marko?

Because his event specially by name excluded recumbents or bikes with only two spokes. I am likely the only one of two recumbent riders that he has seen riding a two spoke and on a bent. I was and still am disgusted with his exclusion. It is a fact and not correct for someone of his position to take such a stand. I usually by a time spot from him. I did not this year.

Disc wheels as well as wheels with a minimum number of "three" spokes per wheel are allowed. Recumbents or other vehicles are prohibited!

https://sloultra.si/rules0.html

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
If I started at the back there would be absolutely no chance of me intermingling. Or winning a prize.

Suppose there was a race in which 'bents were not allowed, and about 100 of them turned up and did it anyway, like Critical Mass. That would be cool.

Ken Rudd

S40, Apex, NC
My response:

Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 4:24 PM
To: 'Assault on the Carolinas' <assaultonthecarolinas@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Thank you for your interest.

AOTC-

I appreciate the response, and I certainly wholeheartedly support any possible safety efforts. However, I am unaware of any studies, statistics or data that indicate recumbents are any more dangerous that other road bikes.

However, I am aware that :

1. Recumbents are often ( but not exclusively ) ridden by more mature riders. These riders, with excess time, vocal online presence and disposable income, are ideal to add to your rider base and foolish to alienate;
  2. Arbitrarily banning recumbents can create a strong appearance of a narrowminded and elitist outlook;
  3. One of the leading recumbent manufacturers, Cruzbike, is headquartered in North Carolina;
  4. While recumbents have a reputation of being slow, that is undeserved in many cases. I assure you, there are many fast recumbents and riders. Your objective and sensible requirement that riders can average at least 10 miles per hour for 6 1/2 hours over 65 miles of hilly terrain will weed out slower riders on recumbents and uprights alike. I wholly understand your SAG crews will have enough work hauling riders up Caesars Head, regardless of bike type;
  5. Many other rides do very well welcoming a diverse rider base, including recumbents:
    1. Assault on Mt Mitchell ( click like for a first hand recumbent report)
    2. Bike MS: New Bern
    3. Raven Rock Ramble
    4. Firecracker Ride
    5. NCBC Fall Rally
    6. Festivelo
    7. Race Across America (RAAM)
    8. Devil Mountain Double Century (DMD)
    9. Mid-Atlantic 100 Mile Race

In summary, consider it a win-win to reconsider your recumbent ban, especially in time for 2020 ride.

-Ken Rudd

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Ken.....very fine points.

I have found recumbent riders to be much more skilled and safety conscious than the typical rider on such an organized ride. With respect to speeds, I do not recall being passed by a single upright or even a peloton on any training ride. I graciously ding my bell, smile, and say morning while passing the mouth open heavy breathers.

Ken Rudd

S40, Apex, NC
Ken.....very fine points.

I have found recumbent riders to be much more skilled and safety conscious than the typical rider on such an organized ride. With respect to speeds, I do not recall being passed by a single upright or even a peloton on any training ride. I graciously ding my bell, smile, and say morning while passing the mouth open heavy breathers.

This could actually be the root of a pretty good discussion all by itself. When I am riding in a paceline with upright riders, I am keenly aware that if I have contact with the rider in front of me, it will likely be my chainring teeth into their rear tire, or my feet into their rear spokes. Either would be very bad, very fast. I leave a bigger gap than may be aerodynamically ideal for just that reason, and I keep my focus. I am also pretty sure I can stop harder/faster/safer than an upright bike, but I don't have any hard evidence to back that up. I KNOW I won't go over the handlebars.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Because his event specially by name excluded recumbents or bikes with only two spokes. I am likely the only one of two recumbent riders that he has seen riding a two spoke and on a bent. I was and still am disgusted with his exclusion. It is a fact and not correct for someone of his position to take such a stand. I usually by a time spot from him. I did not this year.

https://sloultra.si/rules0.html

Sent him a message to figure this out, chances are he’s just a notable face attached to the event and didn’t actually write that rule. I will say that he has invited me to do this event several times over the years and offered to let me stay with him and his family when I do. Maybe he meant only on my trek :p