Autumn in Seattle

Robert O

We had a spectacular summer. So now here we are, mid-October. Autumn is upon us. I had a Cascade Bicycle Club function this evening; my wife had the car, so I rode the V20 up to North Seattle. Got up here just a bit before dark fell. Everyone knows how dreary it is in Seattle, sure was rough...
V20 at the lake.jpg

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Seattle evenings this week have been amazing.

@Cassowary - this is a good shot of Roberts bike - notice the angle of that toptube?
Robert is perhaps a few inches shorter than you.

@Robert O - you didn’t end up switching out your handlebars?
I thought you have the shorter/normal chainstay - right?

Robert O

Seattle evenings this week have been amazing.

@Cassowary - this is a good shot of Roberts bike - notice the angle of that toptube?
Robert is perhaps a few inches shorter than you.

@Robert O - you didn’t end up switching out your handlebars?
I thought you have the shorter/normal chainstay - right?

I have the normal chainstay. Those are new bars, but they are very similar to the last set. Only differences is that they are 400mm instead of the 420mm, and they have an oversize clamping section. Cassowary, I'm about 5' 6", and I'm running the slider at about the 11 3/4 mark. Ventisit comfort pad, and no spacers on the steer tube clamp.

GetBent

Hmmm. Interesting. I am also not using any spacers and using the normal chain stay and have a top tube angle similar to that in the picture above. I could lower the angle a little more by cutting the steering tube, but have been too chicken to do that, since I am not sure if there is much benefit in doing so. I wanted the angle as flat as possible for better visibility over the handle bars. I am 5'8" and have the slider set at the 6 1/4 mark. Maybe my set up is incorrect? That just seams like such a huge difference.

I am toying with getting a shorter chain stay because there have been a number comments in this forum indicating that improves handling. My balance is much better now, to the point that I will go full tilt down hill if the road is straight, otherwise, I need to brake to stay upright. Hit 42 mph today. Everything will be fine, then for no apparent reason, the "V" will depart from my intended course line, resulting in a great deal of panic as I try to regain control and stay upright. Sometimes I wonder if this is what a cowboy feels like breaking a wild horse, you just never know when it will rear, roll, or try to scrape you off against a tree. Or maybe I am just a hopeless klutz.