Bar wrap/grips

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I've been looking for new bar wrap/grip option for both my V and S. Used Lizard Skinz for ever on my DFs and I love the grip and soft feel. But I have found since switching to CBs that it is hard to keep the wrap on the bar ends. I ride traditional CB flared drops with the drops pointing almost straight down. I find that over time - say, about a month or so - the wrap begins to pull down off the bar ends. I've tried a few tap methods that seem to help but I'm still ending ujp with the tape gradually sliding down.

I've looked at some of the silicone bar wrap options but two hesitations. 1) some of the silicone products seem to have the texture of cheap foam. Sure, they may be made of silicone but they are anything but the solid, grippy/sticky material I was expecting. 2) most of the silicone wrap companies go to great pains with their talk about no adhesive back making it very forgiving to the wrapper - you can undo it and redo it as often as you like. That makes me wonder if it will hold on the vertical bar ends.

I very much need a wrap that is sticky/grippy and remains so when wet - either from sweat or the occasional surprise rain shower.

What are folks using for wrap?

Second question is about the bar grips. Same basic question - is there a silicone option out there that doesn't feel like cheapo foam, has a good, sticky grip and stays on the bars? I'm guessing if I use the mtb grips and lube them on with hair spray as suggested on another thread, that will likely keep them in place.

Looking at the supacaz Super Sticky Kush Tape. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks, as always, CB braintrust!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Golf grips. Someone on Slowtwitch recommended it and even though I change out my own golf grips I didn't ever think to use them on handlebars. I tried it out and it works like a charm.
IMG_08711B1A14C5-1.jpeg
1 cool thing about them is that golf grips come in a lot more colors and patterns than bar tape. I used a water based lube (use your imagination) on the bar and inside the grip to slip them on. Once the lube dried they fit snugly without any worry of coming off.

Gary Hudson

The golf grip thing looks great! My vendetta came with several layers of electrical tape on the bar ends and I've been trying to decide what to use for a replacement. I used ESI racers edge MTB grips on my metabike. I used isopropyl alcohol to slide them on and they will go nowhere once dried. You have to be quick and deliberate to get them on.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Good to know about isopropyl alcohol but you see... I am a bit slow. Deliberate, but slow. The lube I used was so slick that I had to be careful the grip didn't fly off once I got it on. I had to hold that sucker down while I quickly put installed the shifter lever back on. It was comedic applying the right amount of lube in the right places, while quickly wiping my hand with a towel so I don't get lube on the outside of the grip, sliding it on, holding it down with 1 hand and grabbing the lever, inserting then feeding the shifter wire through the housing, assembling the few moving parts correctly then using a screwdriver. I am not looking forward to doing that again, but luckily, golf grips last a really long time.

DocS

Guru
Good to know about isopropyl alcohol but you see... I am a bit slow. Deliberate, but slow. The lube I used was so slick that I had to be careful the grip didn't fly off once I got it on. I had to hold that sucker down while I quickly put installed the shifter lever back on. It was comedic applying the right amount of lube in the right places, while quickly wiping my hand with a towel so I don't get lube on the outside of the grip, sliding it on, holding it down with 1 hand and grabbing the lever, inserting then feeding the shifter wire through the housing, assembling the few moving parts correctly then using a screwdriver. I am not looking forward to doing that again, but luckily, golf grips last a really long time.

Frito, I almost spit out my coffee reading this...
I have a vivid imagination and could almost see you workin your lube into all the right places :) !

@paco1961, I love Lizardskin, but like you, I always seem to pull it off the vertical area...

Watching this thread with interest.

Blessings,
DocS

I like Silca silicon bar wrap. It doesn't require the glue strip on the back of most tapes and can easily be taken off and washed and then be reapplied. Of course I usually do this once a year when I replace cables etc. It has a nice sticky feel to it. Other bar tapes I have used usually came off after about 100 miles. So this has been great for me as it doesn't come off and unravel.

I recently rewrapped mine with some Bontrager tape (~$20 retail). It wrapped very well and is cushy enough. Haven't used it while wet or sweating to see how grippy it is, but I don't anticipate it being a problem.

Wrapping starting from the tops avoids any need for electrical tape. Looks better and functions the same.

I might try the Supacaz stuff, but it's pricey and I'm not sure I will need any cushion as on a DF bike.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
My current solution as of today. To reduce the tendency of bar wrap working its way down and off the lower end of the (vertical) drops over time I installed strips of Scotch brand double sided tape along the leading edge of the drops and then wrapped my new bar tape. The Scotch tape is minimally padded but I like a wider diameter and cushy grip so the little added padding is fine. The tape is rated at 30 lbs capacity so I don’t think it’s going anywhere. Of course unwrapping and rewrapping is not an option. Took the V for a 40-mile spin and it felt great.

My current solution as of today. To reduce the tendency of bar wrap working its way down and off the lower end of the (vertical) drops over time I installed strips of Scotch brand double sided tape along the leading edge of the drops and then wrapped my new bar tape. The Scotch tape is minimally padded but I like a wider diameter and cushy grip so the little added padding is fine. The tape is rated at 30 lbs capacity so I don’t think it’s going anywhere. Of course unwrapping and rewrapping is not an option. Took the V for a 40-mile spin and it felt great.

Is bar tape working off the drops a known issue for a Cruzbike? (Usually that problem is because the wrap was not pulled tightly enough.)

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Yup. Not an issue w wrapping tight enough. With a DF when you pull on the bars in a sprint or other hard effort you usually pull perpendicular to the drops. On aCB w the drops pointed down and near vertical there is more pull toward the bar end. It’s been an issue on both my S and V w a variety of different tape brands. Several others on this forum have reported similar. Certainly some don’t have the same problem

Yup. Not an issue w wrapping tight enough. With a DF when you pull on the bars in a sprint or other hard effort you usually pull perpendicular to the drops. On aCB w the drops pointed down and near vertical there is more pull toward the bar end. It’s been an issue on both my S and V w a variety of different tape brands. Several others on this forum have reported similar. Certainly some don’t have the same problem

You probably know this, but it matters which direction the tape is wrapped. If wrapped in the wrong direction, it tends to unwrap over time or in certain areas of the bar. It should overlap so that it won't become loose by normal riding.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Yes. Agreed. I have also actually tried what you referenced above, starting at the tops and wrapping toward the drops. I like the lack of electrical tape. Much cleaner look.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Here's the Supacaz tape installed. I have to say I love the grip of the tape - got caught in a bit of a shower yesterday and the tackiness stayed good all ride. But for the price of the tape you'd think they'd splurge and give a guy a decent piece of electrical tape. The finishing strip supplied is like an overly stretchy piece of toilet paper. I give in an estimated lifespan of about 2.5 rides. Was going to just toss it and go straight to the electrical tape but figured I'd leave it on there for a true trial. IMG-4673 (1).jpg

Gary Hudson

Here's the Supacaz tape installed. I have to say I love the grip of the tape - got caught in a bit of a shower yesterday and the tackiness stayed good all ride. But for the price of the tape you'd think they'd splurge and give a guy a decent piece of electrical tape. The finishing strip supplied is like an overly stretchy piece of toilet paper. I give in an estimated lifespan of about 2.5 rides. Was going to just toss it and go straight to the electrical tape but figured I'd leave it on there for a true trial. View attachment 10957

Did the tape hold or did you discard it? I have some Supacaz on the way.