Bar wrap/grips

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Like Doug Burton, I learned to install grips on handlebars with Windex.
Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) alcohol also works well.

I use rubber BMX handlebar grips on my Sofrider, which has road-bike drop bars installed.

On the Vendetta, which has a bullhorn bar, I grip the hoods of the brifters.

Bar tape looks pretty but it never worked for me on my Cruzbikes.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Did the tape hold or did you discard it? I have some Supacaz on the way.

Report after about 800 miles w the Supacaz tape over double sided tape strips on the drops.

Tape itself has been great. Rain, dry, sweaty gloves - grip is good

Finishing strip has stayed in place but I remain unconvinced. Doubt it will last a full season. But then I didn’t think it would last the first week.

The single strip of double sided tape on the leading edge of the drops on the V has worked perfectly.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Do you wrap from endplug up ? in 2016 @ratz posted this video
watching the first minutes should be enough, also you might want to mute the soundtrack, there is no other audio.
Ratz's video is great, as I have been doing it wrong for twenty years!!!!
It must be because I have to stand on my head!!!

rfneep

It's likely been mentioned before, but I find a single layer of friction tape applied to the grip area under the handlebar tape keeps the tape from slipping over some prolonged period.

I was just reminded of that a few days ago when the new handlebar tape on my S30 promptly slipped down and off after just a few modest rides. I just repaired it today with the friction tape under-layer and will see how long it lasts now.

Ray

Gary Hudson

I want to make sure I am winding the tape in the right direction so that my hand pressure doesn't loosen the wrap. I think Ratz' video does clockwise on the right side and that seems the incorrect way to do it. Is that what the rest of you are doing? The left side would be clockwise in my version. Ratz surely knows better than me. I'm just trying to figure it out in my head.

Last edited:

rfneep

Actually, Ratz’s video shows a counter-clockwise wrap on the right. Notice the tape ascends upward as it goes from right to left on the face of the bar. This is the opposite of what is recommended for diamond frame road bikes, reflecting the difference in stress you put on the wrap with recumbents.

As I understand it, you want to tighten the wrap as you put stress on it to stabilize it while riding. On a CB I tend to pull on the handlebar when applying lots of power, and this naturally causes a slight twist of the wrap inward to the center. Hence on the right side I will be twisting the tape in the grip area in a counter clockwise direction. This will tighten a wrap that is wound counter clockwise. The forces tend to be opposite in direction when riding a df road bikes in the drops, so they wrap in the opposite direction.

This is not a complete solution, since I apparently also apply a small amount of downward pull on the grip area and that eventually results in the tape coming loose even when properly wound. So you need to provide better attachment of the tape to the bar. As I noted, the friction tape helps for me, and I’ve sometimes applied two layers of wrap in the grip area with electrical tape added to stabilize the bottom layer. That gives me a softer larger grip and seems to stabilize the wrap in general. Basically more tape is better overall.

Finally, I expect we need to wrap the handlebar tape as tightly as it can tolerate so to reduce it stretching and loosening as we ride. I spend almost all of my time gripping the handlebars in that region and applying stresses to the tape continuously. On a df road bike, you have myriad hand positions and many riders do not spend much time with their hands in the drop position. The wear and tear on the tape is likely less. We should probably check what tape wrapping guidance is given for gravel bikes with dirt-drop handlebars, since I understand those bikes are meant to be ridden mainly in the drops. I suspect it is the same as for road bikes.

Last edited:

Gary Hudson

Actually, Ratz’s video shows a counter-clockwise wrap on the right. Notice the tape ascends upward as it goes from right to left on the face of the bar. This is the opposite of what is recommended for diamond frame road bikes, reflecting the difference in stress you put on the wrap with recumbents.

As I understand it, you want to tighten the wrap as you put stress on it to stabilize it while riding. On a CB I tend to pull on the handlebar when applying lots of power, and this naturally causes a slight twist of the wrap inward to the center. Hence on the right side I will be twisting the tape in the grip area in a counter clockwise direction. This will tighten a wrap that is wound counter clockwise. The forces tend to be opposite in direction when riding a df road bikes in the drops, so they wrap in the opposite direction.

This is not a complete solution, since I apparently also apply a small amount of downward pull on the grip area and that eventually results in the tape coming loose even when properly wound. So you need to provide better attachment of the tape to the bar. As I noted, the friction tape helps for me, and I’ve sometimes applied two layers of wrap in the grip area with electrical tape added to stabilize the bottom layer. That gives me a softer larger grip and seems to stabilize the wrap in general. Basically more tape is better overall.

You are correct. Ratz did it the way I thought it should be done. For some reason, watching it on my cellphone I got it turned around in my head. So I am going to use a strip of friction tape under it and wrap counter/right and clockwise/left. Do you wrap with the friction tape or just add a strip for better hold? (Nevermind, I see you wrap it. I'll give that a try)

Last edited:
after multiple handlebar tape failures, I now use Silic1 fit silicone tape. It is a handlebar tape that does not require adhesive and sticks to itself. Because there is not an adhesive it can be removed and washed. Thus it is reusable. I am now on my third year with this tape and absolutely love it. It offers good hand grip without slipping. I got it from Amazon.

rfneep

I like the Supacaz and and Silic1 suggestions. This discussion induced me to look again at my S30 grips and I took a somewhat different tack. I ran across shrink tubing made for grips. It's cheap and available on Amazon, eBay, etc. So I laid down a double layer of relatively low-cost handlebar tape to make a cushy grip area and then applied the shrink wrap on top of it. It feels pretty good and I'm hoping the shrink wrap will stabilize the grip area. It looks OK also:

IMG_3611 copy.jpg

We'll see how it goes...

Ray

McWheels

Off the long run
... It feels pretty good and I'm hoping the shrink wrap will stabilize the grip area. It looks OK also:

We'll see how it goes...

Ray

I like the red highlights from the Granny gear, derailleur and chain ring it picks out. Wonderfully coordinated, Dahhling

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Nice wrap job. I’ve been liking the Supacuz gold/black in that same pattern. About 1500 miles and the wrap and finishing tape look and work great. The double sided tape is holding everything in perfect shape

Gary Hudson

AND Neat cable fitment!!!
I can't take credit for that. I have a friend here that makes handmade bicycles and he did the cables for me. I used jagwire cables and I'm looking forward to seeing how well they work. Capitol bicycles is the shop if you want a handmade road, gravel, or mtb. I could probably get him to make a recumbent along the lines of the Ti-aero if I had the money. (Capitolbicycles.com)

Gary Hudson

Nice wrap job. I’ve been liking the Supacuz gold/black in that same pattern. About 1500 miles and the wrap and finishing tape look and work great. The double sided tape is holding everything in perfect shape
Your bike was what made me decide to go with the Supacaz. I watched their video and Ratz' video several times and it was a big help, especially on the start and figure 8 around the hoods.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Erudite smart fella Ian is. I’m a lifelong fan. But I didn’t get to see them till broadsword so his voice was on the rocks even then. Fantastic acoustic guitarist.