Best way to stay dry...

MailSeanBell

So we had a big dump of rain here in Saskatoon. We're not really a tropical climate but I thought I would ask what you do for rain? When it was coming down pretty good I could imagine the water running up you pants, under your coat and getting soaked bottom up. Has anyone ever rigged up a cheap tarp system for staying dry? (Like the fancy plactic thingys, only cheaper?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
stay at home ;-)

SeanBell wrote: So we had a big dump of rain here in Saskatoon. We're not really a tropical climate but I thought I would ask what you do for rain? When it was coming down pretty good I could imagine the water running up you pants, under your coat and getting soaked bottom up. Has anyone ever rigged up a cheap tarp system for staying dry? (Like the fancy plactic thingys, only cheaper?
I was out the other day and got soaked. Luckily the Palm Treo is still working, it was in a rain jacket pocket and got quite wet.
I have various sets of rain clothes, from thin over medium to thick and one pair is pure rubber. I choose what to wear based on the forecast. I also have a big hoody that covers everything, but that wont work with a cruzbike, so normal pants and jackets. I also have a pair of rubber boots.
I have not experienced water running up the pants, but the seat do get wet. Thats why i carry a plastic bag so i can just lie it ontop of the seat and sit down. Surely the sweat will make me a little more wet, but only in office pants. If i am training i dont mind getting wet.

Sometimes i wish for another seat, one that does not suck up rain.

Kamatu

Or just expect to get wet and arrange to keep the important things dry. IMO, the problem with the more waterproof rain gear is that it also makes you sweat more, which will still result in a soaking, usually a smellier one too.

As for the seat, I've been sitting on just the pan, finally added the cushions and I'm not sure where I see much difference....

The streamer is from HP Velotechnik http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=986263322
It is not cheap but you do not get as sweat as using tight sitting rain clothes you get more air. You can also get a speed increase.
You need an extra bracket in the front to connect it on a Sofrider. When using the standard kickstand the balance is different when you park so the best is to lean it against a wall. If there is much side wind it can be difficult to handle. It is easy to take on and off if you risk high side wind it is better to take it off. But head wind is okay and wind from behind nobody will follow you when you are sailing. I am also a dealer for Cruzbike and also a dealer for HP Velotechnik.
Peder

darlingg

It rains a lot out here on the "Wet Coast", especially in winter. When it does, and I want to ride my present "stand-up" bike, I put on my plastic rain poncho and drape the front part over the handlebars, and go around like a little tent on wheels, and (with my front fender) still keep my feet dry. That doesn't seem possible with Cruzbike Sofriders etc as shown - looks like the front edge of any draped poncho would get caught & frayed by the chainwheel, or simply not hold and be blown back up the legs, exposing my poor feet to the elements. For various reasons, I don't want to bother with a big fairing like the Streamer (http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/streamer/index_e.html) - does anyone know of any precedent where the front edge of a poncho could drape or clip somewhere onto a front rack or other forward projection (whose very front end could also bear a headlamp that would not be covered by the poncho)?

MailSeanBell

Well... the planet bike fenders are a good start. I put the 'rear' one on the front tire and I've hit some pretty pig puddles and no water is coming up... I don't know what to do with the water coming down though...

I think taht I've adopted the plan of simply putting a change of clothes in a bag and just getting wet and then changing when I arrive...

WhiteSilvio

Hi Sean,
Could you be a bit more specific with the model of fender that you have used?
Is this the place that you got your fenders from?

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/fenders.html

I have briefly considered TopPeak Defenders (I think that's them) but I haven't worked out if they are a practical solution or how to attach them etc. (I guess I'm from the school of riders who think that real road bikes don't have fenders/mudguards, {a bit like Mark B and kickstands!} but practicality does come into play. I've had a few GT back stripes in my time on my DF.)

I am riding a Silvio and I don't really want full permanently mudguards, but something that can be attached fairly quickly on an inclement day, something that will keep the majority of the spray/muddy puddle water off.

The Grunge Board at the above URL looks interesting but I suspect it wouldn't be easy to attach to the fairly large member that forms the "downtube" from the steering head on the Silvio.

I know I shan't be going down the poncho path! But I ought to reserve judgment on that until I have seen how it operates; maybe it's the "way to go". Pictures of the draped poncho solution for Cruzbikes if it can be found, please darlingg

Regards, John R.

darlingg wrote: It rains a lot out here on the "Wet Coast", especially in winter. When it does, and I want to ride my present "stand-up" bike, I put on my plastic rain poncho and drape the front part over the handlebars, and go around like a little tent on wheels, and (with my front fender) still keep my feet dry. That doesn't seem possible with Cruzbike Sofriders etc as shown - looks like the front edge of any draped poncho would get caught & frayed by the chainwheel, or simply not hold and be blown back up the legs, exposing my poor feet to the elements. For various reasons, I don't want to bother with a big fairing like the Streamer (http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/streamer/index_e.html) - does anyone know of any precedent where the front edge of a poncho could drape or clip somewhere onto a front rack or other forward projection (whose very front end could also bear a headlamp that would not be covered by the poncho)?

If you don’t want the streamer you can perhaps strap the cape to the handle bars?
Your lower body will still get wet but you can wear rain pants and there are different solutions for keeping your feet dry?
If you want to keep your lower body dry without a streamer on a Soifrider I think you have to make something?
http://www.alfredsaws.de/english/streamer.htm

Peder

MailSeanBell

Yup... I have pictures here.

http://www.cruzbike.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=404

I don't have the actual model number but it's the one where the whole thing is held on by the little rubber straps.

I changed out the front metal mounting part with the rear so that the large fender goes on the front. The strength of the plastic seems to be holding itself in place and the front is great.

The smaller fender on the back tends to make a little noise and bounce back and forth a bit but so far I havn't had any spray up on the back of my head.

I stopped using the little twist tie on the front fender and it seems to work just fine...

Good times...

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
No more than it rains around here, I tend not to ride when it's raining. If I get caught out in it, I just get wet. No biggie.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: No more than it rains around here, I tend not to ride when it's raining. If I get caught out in it, I just get wet. No biggie.
What do you do when you are going to work?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: No more than it rains around here, I tend not to ride when it's raining. If I get caught out in it, I just get wet. No biggie.
What do you do when you are going to work?

If it's raining before I go out the door, I pack it in. If I get caught out in it, oh well.

Mark