Building a Cruz Clone

JW1951

Thanks - Wasn't familiar with the acronym . I'll check it out. I'll need to lengthen my chin stays about an inch. With the 20" wheel - I'm getting heel strike on the axle. :-\

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I was late to the choir practice but... All together now, on the count of three: 1, 2, 3: La, la la la laaaaa. Then up a semi-tone...:D

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Very nice! You did a really nice job.

The handle bars took a little too close to you. A further away might help with stability.

Bentas

Quote :Thanks - Wasn't familiar with the acronym . I'll check it out. I'll need to lengthen my chin stays about an inch. With the 20" wheel - I'm getting heel strike on the axle. :-\

If I keep putting on weight, I'll have to lengthen my chin stays too

JW1951

Well I took all the suggestions to heart ... and learned to spell chin - ah - chain. I lengthen the chain stays, lowered the BB to seat level, cut 3 " off of the boom cockpit side. and have the seat about 40 degrees. All of these have made a tremendous difference. The insight is very much appreciated. Took it out for a thirty minute jaunt today - I think I'm gonna love recumbents!! :) . Also found Marco on LBR (got it now) very interesting. He has some pretty cool bikes.

JW1951

HA- !! Actually going to try my hand on another one with some 26" stuff I have. More news at 11. :)
I think I like building better than riding ! Although- went out today for a short run and getting more comfortable on it, but still tense up alot.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
.. going to try my hand on another one ... More news at 11. :)
I think I like building better than riding !... still tense up alot.
You build fast: 31 minutes to make a Q clone. Cruzbike is going to have to put you to work in their sweat shop. :eek:
Tense up: That will come, it is just time. But if you try to relax it can help, if your bars are wide enough give the palm trick a whirl - pushing on the bars with the palm of an open hand so that you aren't pulling max strength and so that you are not doing death-grip. If you haven't already - search out @ratz learning to ride instructions on the forum and @Robert Holler's videos on the main site (near the bottom of the bike product pages).

Bentas

Quote:I think I like building better than riding !
I've made this statement myself in the past, you will find with the MBB format that it can take at least 500-1000 miles in some cases more , to get to the point where you forget that you are riding this type of bike , providing you have got your geometry and stiffness in the frame right , and you have got it dialled in .
Pedal steer goes away, white nuckles are not as frequent ( only get those when this silly 63 year old still reaches over 75 Klms hr downhill at times, you would think I would be beyond the boy racer by now)
I started building MBB about 10 yrs ago, started with steel, moved to alu a few yrs later, then carbon fibre a couple of years ago , the carbon bike is an absolute joy, it's my only bike now , I'll never stop tweeking, better brakes, gearing, wheels etc.
I spoke with the legend creative genius of Cruzbike , fellow Aussie John Tohurst, just before I started building my carbon bike, he said, Quote " Go with standard road bike geometry, stiff front end for climbing , stiff rear end for handling, and you can't go wrong" a man few words, and he's right of course.

JW1951

Benphyr - I'll give the "palm" trick a try. I do it when starting - I'll try it while moving - good advice thanks. ( why didn't I think of that? )
Think I'll put JT's words on my shop wall !!

Bentas - I find the MBB a fascinating design. I will probably try the carbon fiber at some point, once I graduate to big boy wheels. :)
The rear stays on mine will fit a 26" - thinking about a 26 fork - we'll see. Love the experimentation. I'm tickin' up against 70 years old and hopefully last another 20 or so to master this thing. :)
Is your profile pic you're carbon build?

Bentas

Boom is an offcut from a damaged carbon racing oar , there is a guy locally who builds and repairs rowing hulls and oars.

JW1951

Interesting. I have 2 carbon sculling oars that the buyer of my boat didn’t want and haven’t been able to sell them. Maybe- I build a bike or trike with them. Hmmmm. I liked that!

JW1951

Thinking about bars. I just bought a set of Soma Gater drop bars 655 mm that are 22.2 so my Nuvinci shifter etc fit.

JW1951

Did a few more revisions base on input from you all. Shortened the cockpit side of the boom 3", remade the BB attachment point on the boom to be "straight", Lowered the BB to seat height and set the seat ay 40 degrees. Much less pedal steer issue now and I can actually relax just a bit !! Progress!!

I ordered a Performer 700c Fwd Fork today to put 26" Wheels on it. Realized it will only raise my seat a few inches so I thought I would give it a go.

Looking at a Carbon Fiber build in the near future from a couple Carbon Fiber sculling oars I have with Bontrager Radial spoke wheels ,11-42 cassette.

New Soma Gater bars next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37