Center mount kick stand

BikeGary

At one time I had a kickstand for my DF. The bike fell over anyway, it was heavy, and when out of adjustment it smacked my crank arms. That was the last time I ever considered a kickstand for a bicycle. IMO, it's better to lay the bike down on it's side than have it fall there as soon as you are not looking.

In addition while I have an S30, I suspect the S40 has the same issue of having a lot of weight forward on the front wheel which tends to have the front wheel flop. In order to stabilize this, you'd want to strap the wheel in place. Cruz bikes sell a nice accessory strap that works well for this. I have seen an chainstay mounted kickstand on amazon, (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBZ75LP/) so for the low price of $12 you could try it. But I still don't recommend it.

Last edited:

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
Has anyone mounted one on an S40?

I have an S40 and have had center mounted stands before, but never the combination of the two. The main issue I see in using a center mount kickstand with the S40 (though there may be other issues as well) is that to mount such a kickstand to the chainstay-like frame members in the rear triangle the legs of the kickstand would need to be long. Very long. Longer than any center mount kickstand available, by a wide margin. A rough and ready measurement on my S40 says they'd need to be nearly 1.5 feet long to reach the ground at a distance from the centerline of the frame sufficient to provide reliable support (assuming the front wheel was also locked in place with a strap or similar). It's likely not hard to modify an existing center mount kickstand to get legs that long, but then there'd be 1.5' legs to deal with when it's in it's stowed position.

Have you considered a front wheel strap, plus a Clickstand (http://www.click-stand.com/)? Attached are a couple of images of the Clickstand supporting a loaded non-Cruzbike recumbent abd a very heavily loaded tandem. The Clickstand is light, easily carried, not expensive and seems to work well.

Cheers,

-Jack
Raleigh, NCzxzzzzz1fa30e2451b98ed2ed436bc0880a28d8.jpg zxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzfa5819206323ff44e3bed7a02b60442d.jpg

Rods

Thanks, that is what i thought the answer would be. They have always looked very handy on a loaded touring bike.

Have you considered a front wheel strap, plus a Clickstand (http://www.click-stand.com/)? Attached are a couple of images of the Clickstand supporting a loaded non-Cruzbike recumbent abd a very heavily loaded tandem. The Clickstand is light, easily carried, not expensive and seems to work well.
I agree. Here's my S40 with a Clickstand. I've seen some with the Clickstand under the frame behind the headset (which make for a shorter Clickstand) but I like this placement as it holds the bike up even if the front end flops over before I get the strap on the wheel. I stow it folded up behind the seat.
0326191432-00.jpg 0326191431-00.jpg

Rods

Ross Jantz, this is exactly what i have been thinking would work best.
How is your pannier setup in windy conditions? I have been thinking Radical M panniers and a rack topper would work well for me.

Ross Jantz, this is exactly what i have been thinking would work best.
How is your pannier setup in windy conditions? I have been thinking Radical M panniers and a rack topper would work well for me.
I'm sure there is some difference, but its not much. Crosswinds will blow you sideways no matter what you do. Also, since I have them on every day I've gotten used to them being there. I live in the coastal redwoods of California so I carry rain gear in one and my office clothes in the other.

BikeGary

I'm sure there is some difference, but its not much. Crosswinds will blow you sideways no matter what you do. Also, since I have them on every day I've gotten used to them being there. I live in the coastal redwoods of California so I carry rain gear in one and my office clothes in the other.
I have an S30, and I find that the lower and more centered the weight, the better the ride characteristics are. You might consider the large cruzbike under seat bag instead of the rack topper.

I have an S30, and I find that the lower and more centered the weight, the better the ride characteristics are. You might consider the large cruzbike under seat bag instead of the rack topper.
While I agree the lowering and centering the weight on a bike is always better - recumbent or upright - the underseat bag doesn't work that well with the low rider racks for me. I have the frame mounted toolbag there already as well as under seat attachment for the hydration bladder drinking hose and it interferes with the panniers. The rack topper is only for things like windbreaker, snacks & a few other light things. The panniers carry anything heavy and if I'm actually touring (as opposed to my morning commute where everything fits nicely in the small ones), I'll move the small panniers to the back and put the larger Ortleibs under the seat - obviously with the heaviest stuff there.

My riding buddy Steve usually rides with the underseat bag and nothing on the rear rack, but when he's touring he's swaps it out for the toolbag and large panniers (I don't know the brand but they're much like the Radical M's Rods was planning to use) with the fairly standard light stuff on the rear rack.
SteveTouringSetup.jpg

@Ross Jantz, I can't seem to open the large version of the picture, from the thumbnail it looks like a really nice shot and setup you have. Could you re-post it full-size?
Sorry, its not my setup (mine - at least the everyday commute setup - is a few posts earlier). That's my friend Steve's machine & I copied the photo from Strava, so I can only lift the thumbnail.

velocio

My riding buddy Steve usually rides with the underseat bag and nothing on the rear rack, but when he's touring he's swaps it out for the toolbag and large panniers (I don't know the brand but they're much like the Radical M's Rods was planning to use) with the fairly standard light stuff on the rear rack.
View attachment 8746

The yellow panniers in the thumbnail appear to be Arkel RT-40's. These are basically traditional rack mounted 40L rear panniers turned 90 degrees, so they're wider than taller. The RT-40's use the same mounting hardware as other Arkel rear and front panniers, and clamp onto the top rail of a rack. The Radical M's are quite a different animal, in that they're intended to straddle both the seat and a rear rack, thus if installed as Radical intends they'll be both higher and further back on an S40 than the Arkel's in the thumbnail. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just noting the difference. Radical M's are also considerably lighter, as they lack any steel/rigid mounting hardware, being held in place by gravity and Velcro. I don't see complaints about that attachment system online and I have no firsthand experience with Radical's bags, so I can only assume this attachment works at least well enough.

I'm getting my S40 set up for touring next summer and currently plan to use RT-40's mounted on the T-Cycles underseat rack. I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of support this rack provides for the lower 50% of the pannier, but it's the only game in town, so it is what it is ... I may end up using my trusty Ortlieb Backroller 40L panniers on the T-Cycles rack rather than the RT-40's, since they hang only about a cm lower, are completely waterproof and should suffer less from side-to-side wobble given the rack's shape. On the negative, the Ortlieb's are taller and use a roll-top drybag style closure, so they're pretty impossible to get into when the pannier is on the bike. As Pooh often remarks, "Oh bother"...

-Jack K.
Raleigh, NC

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzSteveTouringSetup_InPixio big smooth.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzSteveTouringSetup_InPixio big smooth.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 50
The yellow panniers in the thumbnail appear to be Arkel RT-40's. ... I may end up using my trusty Ortlieb Backroller 40L panniers on the T-Cycles rack rather than the RT-40's, since they hang only about a cm lower, are completely waterproof and should suffer less from side-to-side wobble given the rack's shape. On the negative, the Ortlieb's are taller and use a roll-top drybag style closure, so they're pretty impossible to get into when the pannier is on the bike. As Pooh often remarks, "Oh bother"...
I see you tried to enlarge the thumbnail photo with the same results as me :)

I couldn't remember what brand Steve had, but your mention of Arkel jogged my memory - I'm pretty certain you are correct.

I can tell you that Steve had no complaints about the stability of the Arkel panniers on the T-Cycle underseat rack on his recent trip down the CA coast. I can also verify that, while you can access the smaller Ortlieb front rollers relatively easily, the larger ones - both the rollers and the Bike-Packer flap closure models are difficult to get into while mounted on the underseat rack - not impossible, but not easy (as in, its easier to just unmount the pannier if you want to get stuff in or out).

Rods

velocio-Please keep me updated on how the Arkel bags work out on the S40.
I have a set of Rt60 bags I used on an under seat rack on a high racer style bike for one short venture last year. I did not care for the setup at all! they made it a very long reach to get my feet to the ground, made the weight very wide, and the width made it seem I was pulling a large parachute!
I have plans to get an S40 soon for touring and rail trail type rides. Right now, my thinking is to use Radical bags, a Cruzbike Scarab bag under the frame for the heavyest items, and a rear rack with small panniers or a rack topper with lighter things. I am looking at all ideas, though.
I have the smaller Radical banana racer bags which strap over the seat now. They work well, but not quite big enough for a camping touring setup.

velocio

I see you tried to enlarge the thumbnail photo with the same results as me :)
Sheesh Ross, I not only tried to embiggen the thumbnail, but succeeded! The resolution ain't great, but it is bigger. ;)

I couldn't remember what brand Steve had, but your mention of Arkel jogged my memory - I'm pretty certain you are correct.
If I squint just right at the image I can convince myself the panniers are Arkel RT-60's, rather than RT-40's, but they're just differently sized variants on the same pannier theme.

I can tell you that Steve had no complaints about the stability of the Arkel panniers on the T-Cycle underseat rack on his recent trip down the CA coast. I can also verify that, while you can access the smaller Ortlieb front rollers relatively easily, the larger ones - both the rollers and the Bike-Packer flap closure models are difficult to get into while mounted on the underseat rack - not impossible, but not easy (as in, its easier to just unmount the pannier if you want to get stuff in or out).
Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for the availability of T-Cycles rack, since most recumbents I find interesting would have no underseat rack option without T-Cycles. But, the need to make a profit and fit a small number of rack options to a large selection of recumbent models forces compromises in the design. Whenever I see photos of the beautifully engineered and integrated racks on HP Velotechnic, Optima, Azub and other (mostly European) recumbents I suffer rack envy. The RT-40 is almost 45cm wide and the lower 50% of the pannier is supported from side-to-side wag only in the very center. Not optimal, but from Steve's experience apparently plenty good enough. I'll stop thinking about it ...

Someone mentioned using underseat panniers in addition to loading a scarab bag with heavy stuff. That may work great, I've no idea, but ... In loaded test runs around my neighborhood I've been strapping my tent directly under the frame, between the two underseat panniers and mostly inside of the T-Cycles rack. It's extremely secure there and that heavy item is then as low and centrally mounted as possible. The tent is my heaviest and bulkiest single touring item, getting it low and out of panniers, or off a rear rack, is pretty helpful.

-Jack K.
Raleigh, NC

Keith Kocho

I agree. Here's my S40 with a Clickstand. I've seen some with the Clickstand under the frame behind the headset (which make for a shorter Clickstand) but I like this placement as it holds the bike up even if the front end flops over before I get the strap on the wheel. I stow it folded up behind the seat.
View attachment 8693 View attachment 8695

Hello. Can you please share the length you ordered for the clickstand for your S40?