Close Eyes, Hold Nose, and Jump into Vendetta Deep-End

Kestrel91

Hello Cruzbike Community,

I'm interested in joining you all with a switch from DF to a recumbent as neck stenosis and piriformis syndrome have put paid to 25yrs of upright riding. I've been reading the arguments of S40 vs v20c in detail on the forums the last month or so, and after speaking with Jim and Maria I'm leaning towards the vendetta. Reason is the risk of recumbutt on the S40 seems very real given my past glute issues and my neck PT believes the vendetta with adjustable carbon seat and headrest looks like it should work. (I'm _think_ I'm ok with the longer learning curve, poorer visibility, lower maneuverability, etc if this is true).

Since the new vendetta does not come with a test/return period, I'm interested in buying used to try it out first on my trainer over the winter here in Minnesota. That should be enough to proceed with confidence in the spring or flip to the S40. If anyone has a line on a used vendetta (full bike or frame, happy to build up if needed), I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Cheers
Mike

P.S. I realize this might not be the right forum for it, but any comments on my line of thinking or eval plan would be welcome.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi Mike,
Larry - here - I created the Cruzbike Museum and have about 40 Cruzbikes here. I am also the only Cruzbike dealer than only has Cruzbikes and also has all the new ones to demo. I know you are in Minn, but if you can get a cheap flight to Hilton Head I am sure I can get you riding the V20 fairly quickly. I have a proven training technique. I also have quite a few Vendetta frames. I might be able to spare one for a trainer. Please email me at larryoslund@gmail.com if you would like to continue this conversation.
Larry Oslund
828-216-7860

Hi Mike,

Welcome! Please check out the Marketplace forum and set notifications on for new posts from there. You'll get an email whenever someone posts something for sale.

Regards,
Jim

Hello Cruzbike Community,

I'm interested in joining you all with a switch from DF to a recumbent as neck stenosis and piriformis syndrome have put paid to 25yrs of upright riding. I've been reading the arguments of S40 vs v20c in detail on the forums the last month or so, and after speaking with Jim and Maria I'm leaning towards the vendetta. Reason is the risk of recumbutt on the S40 seems very real given my past glute issues and my neck PT believes the vendetta with adjustable carbon seat and headrest looks like it should work. (I'm _think_ I'm ok with the longer learning curve, poorer visibility, lower maneuverability, etc if this is true).

Since the new vendetta does not come with a test/return period, I'm interested in buying used to try it out first on my trainer over the winter here in Minnesota. That should be enough to proceed with confidence in the spring or flip to the S40. If anyone has a line on a used vendetta (full bike or frame, happy to build up if needed), I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Cheers
Mike

P.S. I realize this might not be the right forum for it, but any comments on my line of thinking or eval plan would be welcome.
My first two wheel recumbent was the V20, bought off eBay used. My first ride was scary, and I really questioned my judgement. However after learning to ride it (took weeks), I'm so glad I gave it time. The V20 is fast but still very maneuverable. I feel comfortable riding with groups of road bikes (I stay a ways behind the pace line, or get in the front and they rotate behind me). I now also have a fast carbon two wheel recumbent I'm testing, but so far it isn't faster than the Vendetta (only 38 miles in, it's a dead heat, so more time needed). The Vendetta is definitely more maneuverable.

Last edited:

Kestrel91

Hi Mike,
Larry - here - I created the Cruzbike Museum and have about 40 Cruzbikes here. I am also the only Cruzbike dealer than only has Cruzbikes and also has all the new ones to demo. I know you are in Minn, but if you can get a cheap flight to Hilton Head I am sure I can get you riding the V20 fairly quickly. I have a proven training technique. I also have quite a few Vendetta frames. I might be able to spare one for a trainer. Please email me at larryoslund@gmail.com if you would like to continue this conversation.
Larry Oslund
828-216-7860
Thanks very much Larry, I'll reach out to you later tonight via email.

Kestrel91

My first two wheel recumbent was the V20, bought off eBay used. My first ride was scary, and I really questioned my judgement. However after learning to ride it (took weeks), I'm so glad I gave it time. The V20 is fast but still very maneuverable. I feel comfortable riding with groups of road bikes (I stay a ways behind the pace line, or get in the front and they rotate behind me). I now also have a fast carbon two wheel recumbent I'm testing, but so far it isn't faster than the Vendetta (only 38 miles in, it's a dead heat, so more time needed). The Vendetta is definitely more maneuverable.
Thanks David, it's encouraging to hear you've had no maneuverability issues. I had a similar thought about paceline integration - would expect some challenges there (takes trust both ways, doesn't it).

Thanks David, it's encouraging to hear you've had no maneuverability issues. I had a similar thought about paceline integration - would expect some challenges there (takes trust both ways, doesn't it).
I avoid getting into the pace line with road bikes. It isn't really about maneuverability, it's because I don't give a lot of draft. If I'm with a group I know I might get up front for a while, they know to keep doing their rotation behind me. One friend told me trying to get draft off me was like trying to draft a Corvette. They get maybe 1/3 of an upright bike draft from me. When I'm behind the pace line I try to stay a little ways back so I'm not benefiting from their draft. On the Vendetta I don't need a pace line to keep a good pace, but drafting really helps the diamond frame bike riders. If I were in the pace line, the person behind me would not get much benefit.

When I'm behind the pace line I try to stay a little ways back so I'm not benefiting from their draft.
You could benefit the pace line by being in the last rider's draft. There will be a little less drag on the last rider when you are in the slipstream. So even though you don't need the help, the rider in front of you might.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
You could benefit the pace line by being in the last rider's draft. There will be a little less drag on the last rider when you are in the slipstream. So even though you don't need the help, the rider in front of you might.
I always try to draft my friends, especially the tall ones. :) frequently I get tired of looking at their butt and just wanted to stay behind more so that I can look at the trees and traffic.