Commute to work

On my way home from work a man waved me to stop by his car. He wanted to ask about the Sofrider. He asked me if I could remembered him from last year’s race. :? He had noticed how easily I climbed the hills and did not look tired. Unfortunately I did not remember him. :oops: I think it is easier for him to remember the Sofrider which is not so easy to forget. :roll: He sat on it and said he will come and visit one evening to try it out. We had a long talk he was looking for something comfortable to ride also on dirt roads. For me it was not difficult to tell him what a great commuter the Sofrider is. So the rest of my ride up the hills going home went very easily. :) :D
Peder

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Peder Torgersen wrote: On my way home from work a man waved me to stop by his car. He wanted to ask about the Sofrider.<SNIP> For me it was not difficult to tell him what a great commuter the Sofrider is. So the rest of my ride up the hills going home went very easily. :) :D
Peder

That's pretty cool. I've had people stop me on my other recumbents and ask questions. So far, none on the conversion, but I get lots of comments.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I wanted to tell you all about my commute yesterday.

I didn't think it would be anything special. In fact, I had a real hard time prying myself out of bed. But, I managed to get up, eat some breakfast and get myself together for the ride. The sun is rising earlier, now. It's almost a waste to carry my Niterider HID headlight. Within a half an hour of riding, it's light enough outside I no longer need it. Regarless, I turned the light on and pedaled out my driveway. Once on the bike and out on the street, I knew I was in for a good ride. Sure enough, I think the ride in was the best yet. It was only marred by a dog that gave a half hearted attempt to give chase and a driver that decided to pass me close as he could. What really angered me was the fact there was nobody in the other lane and about 50 yards ahead of me, the bugger changed lanes. IDIOT!!!!! Well, I didn't let one nincompoop ruin what was so far the best commute ride, yet. At this point, I was in the middle of the climb up out of the basin into the lower foothills of the San Bernardino mountains. Nothing real steep, just prolonged uphills. There is a railroad viaduct to cross and one short but fairly steep climb and I powered over both of those getting pretty cocky. The rest of the ride was really cool. An older gentleman driving a hummer rolled down the window and began quizzing me about my bike. I answered his questions and when the light turned green and we pulled away, he stayed just a little ways ahead of me and drove at my pace. I guess he was trying to guage how fast I was riding. I arrived at work in record time; plenty of time for the shower, shave and breakfast number 2 before assuming my duties. I was really stoked and felt good all day. I could hardly wait for the day to end so I could get back on the bike!

When the time finally came and I changed back into my cycling clothes, PEEEYEEEW!!!! I realized I must have worked pretty hard on the ride in because my jersey sure did stink! I got sweatier going home because it was warmer. Traffic is always a concern in the afternoon and there is one particular section I really dislike. I was feeling so good, I decided to take another route that would throw some more climbing and perhaps another mile or three to the ride. The problem is; it has more and faster moving traffic, but a wider shoulder. I'm still uncomfortable on that street, partly because of the neighborhood it passes through. So, I won't do that very often, but it was a pretty cool break from the hum drum same ol' same ol' route. I really like to vary my routes and my times so I'm not predictably in places the same time every day. Not that I'm paranoid, but San Bernardino is a pretty rough town. By the time I did the last climb into Redlands, I had just about had all the fun I could take. I was getting tired and looking forward to a cold beer at home. I rolled into my garage (AKA "The Mancave") about 5 minutes later than I normally would. I was pleased with the day's ride and pretty pleased with myself. It's days like these, when I'm still stoked about the ride a day later, that make cycling the fun and rewarding activity it is. From past experience, I can tell you as fitness improves, so do the numbers of days like these. I think it's a shame more people don't know the fun and rewards that cycling offers.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: When the time finally came and I changed back into my cycling clothes, PEEEYEEEW!!!! I realized I must have worked pretty hard on the ride in because my jersey sure did stink!
I heard that it is mostly synthetic fibers that do stink. If you use wool it does not stink. I have a really nice merino wool t-shirt, very very thin. I love it.

Rick Harker

Merino is marvelous!

I'm with Jon on this one. Thats what I use now and since doing so the putrefying smell doesn't exist. I have 3 other cycling jerseys and the cheapest one had me wreaking after half an hour. I've only kept it for the bright color and wear it over my Merino's.

As for your Commute... was that on the conversion?

Its interesting how you start to feel good about riding when fitness and loss of weight occurs. The little improvements are always a huge milestone in reality and something to be proud of. 'So many people think you're crazy riding "that" far and "isn't that what cars are for"?

Makes me chuckle quietly.

I really enjoy my cycling too.

Regards,

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: As for your Commute... was that on the conversion?

Its interesting how you start to feel good about riding when fitness and loss of weight occurs. The little improvements are always a huge milestone in reality and something to be proud of. 'So many people think you're crazy riding "that" far and "isn't that what cars are for"?

Yes, on the conversion. I always enjoy cycling, but I like to ride hard and usually beat myself up pretty badly. When I complete a ride and don't feel all beat up, I know I'm getting fitter and that's what keeps me getting back on the bike for another go at it.

Great fun.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Even the guard dogs are getting used to me. There are a couple businesses I pass on my commute to work that have dogs in their yards over night. They usually run out to the fence, raise their hackles and inform me of what they would do for me if that fence weren't there. Now, if they pay any attention at all, it's a token bark, or two. Kind of funny.

I find my times to work are getting better and better. My showers and breakfast #2 can be more leisurely and I expect soon, I can easily adjust my departure time from home. I attribute much of the time savings to getting stronger and stronger on uphill sections. Many recumbent "experts", who I consider to be bike path primadonas, claim you should just relax and spin up hills, then hammer down the other side. My experience has proven the polar opposite to be true. In my mind, the bike will only go so fast down the hill. Hammering down the hill will result in only moderate speed gains before you spin the gears out. I think you make better time by hammering up the hill and recovering on the downhills. Now, by recovering on the downhills, I don't mean I just coast along singing my own perverted versions of showtunes. OK, maybe I do sing the perverted version of showtunes, but I do so between gasps as I continue to pedal, at just enough of a cadence to allow my heart rate to recover and my respiration to return to some resemblance of normal. Granted, this is easier on a route you are familiar with, such as my commuting route, but I have found this technique to be quite helpful to my riding fitness.

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: snip...
Many recumbent "experts", who I consider to be bike path primadonas, claim you should just relax and spin up hills, then hammer down the other side. My experience has proven the polar opposite to be true. In my mind, the bike will only go so fast down the hill. Hammering down the hill will result in only moderate speed gains before you spin the gears out. I think you make better time by hammering up the hill and recovering on the downhills. Now, by recovering on the downhills, I don't mean I just coast along singing my own perverted versions of showtunes. OK, maybe I do sing the perverted version of showtunes, but I do so between gasps as I continue to pedal, at just enough of a cadence to allow my heart rate to recover and my respiration to return to some resemblance of normal. Granted, this is easier on a route you are familiar with, such as my commuting route, but I have found this technique to be quite helpful to my riding fitness.

Mark
100% endorse this approach, as a consistent speed will minimise both time and energy expended, because energy increases exponentially with air speed. :cool:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
This week, I stepped up the effort in my commuting. I had been riding my 40 mile RT commute twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday. Last week, I did a Wednesday evening ride to test the waters and I felt fine, so this week I rode Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. To tell the truth, I don't know what I was waiting for. I feel really good and all three days I made about my usual riding times. This makes me pretty happy. I'll probably do this at least another couple weeks, then go four days. For the immediate future, I will probably not ride on Fridays. That gives me a day to rest before the Saturday rides and also opportunity to take clean clothes and food and pick up the dirty laundry.

It feels really good to be getting back into riding shape.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I almost talked myself out of riding to work today. In fact, I did talk myself out of riding to work today. I reset the alarm and rolled back over. As I lay there, I began thinking about it being the first day back to school for my girls. Then, I got to thinking about three teenage girls (my two and we have an extra for a couple days) and my wife, all trying to get ready to go at the same time. That's four females, two bathrooms.... Showers, makeup, yada, yada, yada...

I rode my bike to work.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I came to a realization on my ride home from work last night. Actually, I knew I was doing it for some time, but my brain just made the connection last night. When I’m working the bars for added momentum, I’m not just pushing/pulling; I’m also throwing the bike side to side like you would when standing on an upright. How bizarre! I also tried a new route home last night. I had mapped it out on Google maps, then rode it home. The streets were smoother and less traveled, but wound through some not-so-good neighborhoods. I think I actually made better time going home because the streets were smoother and I wasn’t competing with cars for the smoothest spots so much. I would not ride that route going TO work, but I think it will be my new route for going home.

Speaking of Google maps; if you haven’t played around with GM for awhile, you really should. You can put in your beginning and ending destinations, then after it suggests a route, you can drag the route around to streets more likely to be bike friendly. It makes a nice route slip. Also, you can preview portions of the route using the street view to see what the shoulders look like, etc.

On my ride into work today, I tried riding hands free and found I can do it. Not sure for how long, but I certainly can take my hands off the handlebar for some time. This is on my conversion bike that I ride to and from work. I’ll have to see this weekend if I can also do that on my Silvio. I had one kind of weird thing happen today. I was riding along and had a couple pretty large dogs come out and give chase. I had seen them there before, but they never paid any attention to me. Today, they decided to chase and they caught me by surprise. I wasn’t lollygagging by any stretch of the imagination, but I wasn’t going full-tilt-boogie, either. I was in a minute! The one dog was right on my back wheel and to my left. I pointed at him and said sternly, “GO HOME!” He hesitated long enough to let me open a gap. He closed the gap and I repeated my command. He hesitated again and about that time, an oncoming car honked at the other dog and the chase was over. I wasn’t seriously threatened, but it was kind of out of the ordinary.

The commuting rides have really been reshaping my body, I think. People keep telling me that I’m really losing the weight, but the scale doesn’t corroborate that story. I must be rearranging the weight, because my clothes are getting baggier and I don’t feel the weight of so much gut compressing my innards as I ride, which certainly aids in respiration and recovery. I’m definitely thinking more about what and how much I eat and drink, so I am excited to see what comes on down the road for me fitness-wise. Fun Times!

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: I came to a realization on my ride home from work last night. Actually, I knew I was doing it for some time, but my brain just made the connection last night. When I’m working the bars for added momentum, I’m not just pushing/pulling; I’m also throwing the bike side to side like you would when standing on an upright. How bizarre!
Cool, is that giving any extra speed?

Mark B wrote: On my ride into work today, I tried riding hands free and found I can do it. Not sure for how long, but I certainly can take my hands off the handlebar for some time. This is on my conversion bike that I ride to and from work. I’ll have to see this weekend if I can also do that on my Silvio.
And thus we know the accident story for your 3. Silvio ;-)

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Mark,

I heard somewhere muscle is heavier than fat, so perhaps you are exchanging existing mass for more productive mass.

The alternate characterization is that you are becoming more dense.

But I would never say that.

(In my case, the B in BMI stands for Bouyancy.)

;)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: I came to a realization on my ride home from work last night. Actually, I knew I was doing it for some time, but my brain just made the connection last night. When I’m working the bars for added momentum, I’m not just pushing/pulling; I’m also throwing the bike side to side like you would when standing on an upright. How bizarre!
Cool, is that giving any extra speed?

Not sure what it's doing for me, if anything. It might even be counterproductive, but I don't think so. I caught myself doing it again this afternoon.

Mark B wrote: On my ride into work today, I tried riding hands free and found I can do it. Not sure for how long, but I certainly can take my hands off the handlebar for some time. This is on my conversion bike that I ride to and from work. I’ll have to see this weekend if I can also do that on my Silvio.
JonB wrote: And thus we know the accident story for your 3. Silvio ;-)

There you go; you went and jinxed me! ;)

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Hardtailcruzer wrote: Mark,

I heard somewhere muscle is heavier than fat, so perhaps you are exchanging existing mass for more productive mass.

The alternate characterization is that you are becoming more dense.

But I would never say that.

(In my case, the B in BMI stands for Bouyancy.)

;)

Being dense, in this case, is a good thing! I hear ya on the bouyancy thing. :oops:

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
I had an interresting ride home today. I was going home from a clients warehouse where they have a offsite backup server.

On the way home i was overtaken by a Leitra, a danish velomobile. He had a burley trailer, and was going so fast on the bike lane i could barely keep up. I gave chase a few km's before he turned and i kept going. That road has alot of other bike traffic, and stop lights every 500-1000 meters. I strongly suspect he had a electric assist, because i cant be in that bad shape, can i?

Later on i met another guy on a regular racing bike and he asked me some questions, got the cruzbike name, and i told him to visit the forum. I also told him about the silvio frame, but he thought it was expensive. He didnt blink at the $1000 for my freerider though.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: I had an interresting ride home today. I was going home from a clients warehouse where they have a offsite backup server.

On the way home i was overtaken by a Leitra, a danish velomobile. He had a burley trailer, and was going so fast on the bike lane i could barely keep up. I gave chase a few km's before he turned and i kept going. That road has alot of other bike traffic, and stop lights every 500-1000 meters. I strongly suspect he had a electric assist, because i cant be in that bad shape, can i?

Later on i met another guy on a regular racing bike and he asked me some questions, got the cruzbike name, and i told him to visit the forum. I also told him about the silvio frame, but he thought it was expensive. He didnt blink at the $1000 for my freerider though.

I suspect you're right abuot the electric assist. I saw a guy riding a mountain bike the other day and I was impressed with the way he was moving, until I saw the motor. Cheatin', that's what it is! :lol:

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Today, I was riding my conversion to work and was kind of grumbling to myself. It had taken me longer than usual to get out of the garage today... I messed around on the computer too long, then kind of piddled as I finished getting the bike ready. So, I left the house and as I pedaled up the street, I thought I was going awfully slow. I think it was an illusion because I had ridden my bike wtih short cranks the evening before. So, I'm riding along, grumping and I round the corner and spot a rider up ahead. I'm closing awful fast, so I think it must be a wrong-way rider on my side of the street. No lights, of course, no way to tell until I can light him up with my own light. As I get that close, I see that the guy is on the right side of the street, pedaling for all he's worth on a squeaky, squawky too small bicycle and I go cruising past like he was standing still. Now, I start to feel bad thinking how this poor guy is either doomed to riding his bike, or thinking he's doing the green thing, whatever and get blown off the road by a fat guy on a weird looking bike. It must have been discouraging; I felt bad. For just a second :twisted: In the end, I gained back most of the time I lost messing around in the garage this morning. I know the perception is different from the short to long cranks and vice versa, but daaaaaang!

The weather is starting to cool some here in SoCal. I was cool, but still comfortable in a sleeveless jersey and sandals. It won't be long and I'll have to go to sleeves and regular shoes. I'm not looking real forward to that. The afternoons are nice, now. I could easily stretch my miles out by taking the long way home, if I so desired. I may do that next week, at least a couple times a week.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: Today, I was riding my conversion to work and was kind of grumbling to myself. It had taken me longer than usual to get out of the garage today... I messed around on the computer too long, then kind of piddled as I finished getting the bike ready. So, I left the house and as I pedaled up the street, I thought I was going awfully slow. I think it was an illusion because I had ridden my bike wtih short cranks the evening before. So, I'm riding along, grumping and I round the corner and spot a rider up ahead. I'm closing awful fast, so I think it must be a wrong-way rider on my side of the street. No lights, of course, no way to tell until I can light him up with my own light. As I get that close, I see that the guy is on the right side of the street, pedaling for all he's worth on a squeaky, squawky too small bicycle and I go cruising past like he was standing still. Now, I start to feel bad thinking how this poor guy is either doomed to riding his bike, or thinking he's doing the green thing, whatever and get blown off the road by a fat guy on a weird looking bike. It must have been discouraging; I felt bad. For just a second :twisted: In the end, I gained back most of the time I lost messing around in the garage this morning. I know the perception is different from the short to long cranks and vice versa, but daaaaaang!
Maybe this will force him to get a better bike? Or to cheat by getting electric assist. The day that you drive like that from a electric assist bike is the day you should challenge Armstrong :mrgreen: