Crash due to flat tire

Kenneth

Today while turning a corner I lost traction and crashed. Sprained my ankle as my shoe unclipped while the pedal dug into the street and my foot ended up behind under the seat. It bent the outer 50 tooth chainring.
It turns out the front tire was flat with a piece of wire in it. I believe it must very recently gone flat, though I didn't feel anything before I fell, and that is why the tire lost traction.

Kenneth

The 50 T chairing should be recoverable with a bit of careful filing.
Remember that the 11 T rear cassette only has 5 tooth contact with the chain, so not having all 50 Teeth perfect (25 teeth contact!) will not lead to the chain jumping teeth.

I didn't know that. Is it reasonable to try to flatten the chainring back out. It's no longer true and you can see it wobble back and forth as it spins.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yes it would be OK, to use a shifting spanner with smooth jaws to straighten the teeth and the chainring.

I have straighten my outer chainring a couple of times after having to do emergency stops on a trike, and digging the chainring into the road, due to overseas Uni students looking left instead of right before crossing a city road! I now ride slowly past that part of the city!!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
One of the many things I don't like about bents compared to DF bikes. You can't see your tires while rolling as easily to see if they're loosing air, this is critical when you descend mountains as fast as I like too. At least you didn't grind a $1000 power meter pedal into the ground.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Today while turning a corner I lost traction and crashed. Sprained my ankle as my shoe unclipped while the pedal dug into the street and my foot ended up behind under the seat. It bent the outer 50 tooth chainring.
It turns out the front tire was flat with a piece of wire in it. I believe it must very recently gone flat, though I didn't feel anything before I fell, and that is why the tire lost traction.
I had a similar experience. I was riding in my neighborhood and came around a corner and lost the front tire entirely. Down I went. Lost some skin on my arm and hip and ripped up my shorts. Also took about an inch off of my carbon fiber brifter on the left side.

Kenneth

One of the many things I don't like about bents compared to DF bikes. You can't see your tires while rolling as easily to see if they're loosing air, this is critical when you descend mountains as fast as I like too. At least you didn't grind a $1000 power meter pedal into the ground.
I wondered after my accident if it went flat very quickly or if it was just hard to notice given the style of bike, which is now what feel is most likely.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I wondered after my accident if it went flat very quickly or if it was just hard to notice given the style of bike, which is now what feel is most likely.

It probably happened over 5 mins or so and it just takes it losing enough air 100 psi to 60 psi to not be noticeable while strait up and down but not enough to hold shape when you apply cornering force. Then once it starts to deform mid corner the rest starts to go south exponentially.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Tpms with audible alarm could be very valuable to any bike especially cruzbikes which seem to be prone to flat tire crashes. May not help on a blowout but could be a "lifesaver" in slow leak situation. In my crash I hit a pothole, stopped pedaling to determine if the tire was losing air and hit the pavement about three seconds later at about 20 mph. Probably would be worth 200 dollars to prevent that. If you saw a slow leak on monitor you probably wouldn't attempt any fast descents.