Crash due to flat tire

BikeGary

On a df you would probably see a 4 inch deep pothole. And be able to avoid it.
On my S30, I haven't had any issue seeing the road in front of me. Potholes that got me in the past were full of rain water when I commuted in Seattle. Here in San Diego, it's not an issue.

BikeGary

All -
Run GOOD tires, especially if speed and performance are in the mix. Run good tires if you just go get groceries. If you like to go fast and corner hard, run tires that are known to perform well in that situation. Some tires are awesome for going fast while in a straight line but are CRAP for cornering. Some are great if it is dry...but if it gets wet you might as well be on ice skate blades. Some rim and tire combinations have a hanky fit. Too tight = bad. Too loose = bad. Might need to try a different combo. Some clinchers don't seat well in the bead of some wheels. Some rims have crappy beads - toss those in the trash and get rims with NICE good beads and then get tires that fit them well with their good beads.

Some tires are more durable the others. If you are running less expensive tires that are not known to be really reliable - ride within the limits of the tire. Ride to the bike shop for new tires. Some tires within the same brands are good while others are not so. just because its a "Conti" (or any other brand) doesn't mean its a good tire.
Ride safe all!

Any suggestions on tires? I used to run Continental Gaterskins on my DF until I tore the sidewall on two of them. (the sidewall came apart at the wire bead.) now I'm running Panaracer Ribmo 32mm on my DF. The S30 came with those 28mm Continental Gatorskins, but it's close to time to replacing them. The Ribmo's are pretty flat resistant but IMO have a higher rolling resistance than the Continentals.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
My current favorite tire is the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Fast and LOADS of cornering grip. Clinchers and tubes. No mess no fuss on and off the rims without tools (but not TOO easily on and off)

Win.

KiwiGuy

Any suggestions on tires? I used to run Continental Gaterskins on my DF until I tore the sidewall on two of them. (the sidewall came apart at the wire bead.) now I'm running Panaracer Ribmo 32mm on my DF. The S30 came with those 28mm Continental Gatorskins, but it's close to time to replacing them. The Ribmo's are pretty flat resistant but IMO have a higher rolling resistance than the Continentals.

I run a 25mm Continental GP4000S II on the front and a 28mm Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on the back (with latex tube because I've had all sorts of hassles setting up tubeless on the my rims). Same experience as Robert - both are fast with loads of cornering grip. The Schwalbe Pro One seem to wear faster which is why I moved to the GP4000S on the front. However, I recommend both.

Kind regards.... Blair

BikeGary

I run a 25mm Continental GP4000S II on the front and a 28mm Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on the back (with latex tube because I've had all sorts of hassles setting up tubeless on the my rims). Same experience as Robert - both are fast with loads of cornering grip. The Schwalbe Pro One seem to wear faster which is why I moved to the GP4000S on the front. However, I recommend both.

Kind regards.... Blair
I would think you would want the 28mm tire on the front drive wheel, and the 25mm on the rear, as it doesn't bear the same load for turning, or stopping. Any particular reason you have them the way you do?

BikeGary

My current favorite tire is the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Fast and LOADS of cornering grip. Clinchers and tubes. No mess no fuss on and off the rims without tools (but not TOO easily on and off)

Win.
Thanks Robert! I have ordered a 28mm Michelin Pro 4 Endurance replacement to have in stock for when it's time to swap.

super slim

Zen MBB Master

Kind regards.... Blair
The weight on each wheel is the same at 50% F /50% R, so both tyres should be the same size!
Unless there are fork clearance problems!
I found the 28 mm Schwalbe One folding clincher, MUCH better when cornering and especially in wet rough patched road conditions, compared to the 23 mm Continental GP4000S II.
The Cont wear was double that of the Schwalbe, but the increased confidence, AND grip, when doing 80 kph down a rough wet descent was worth it!

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
The weight on each wheel is the same at 50% F /50% R, so both tyres should be the same size!
Unless there are fork clearance problems!
I found the 28 mm Schwalbe One folding clincher, MUCH better when cornering and especially in wet rough patched road conditions, compared to the 23 mm Continental GP4000S II.
The Cont wear was double that of the Schwalbe, but the increased confidence, AND grip, when doing 80 kph down a rough wet descent was worth it!

There are much larger forces for the front wheel (you typically don't hit potholes with the rear wheel with anything like the force that you do with the front wheel), and that is going to make the largest difference on traction and energy losses due to road roughness.

I agree-- if optimizing for traction or for non-aero energy-loss-prevention or for comfort, then place the larger in the front.