Crash

Kenneth Jessett

thumbnail

I crashed today with my front wheel finding a gap in the road and me smacking into a curb. The front wheel is now impeding the frame and I assume the rod between the boom and the fork is bent, has anyone else had this problem and have a suggestion as to a fix?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I crashed today with my front wheel finding a gap in the road and me smacking into a curb. The front wheel is now impeding the frame and I assume the rod between the boom and the fork is bent, has anyone else had this problem and have a suggestion as to a fix?
Wow Kenneth - First: hope you are OK.
If the wheel is hitting the frame, my first conclusion without seeing anything is that the fork is bent.
If the chainstay was bent, it would only shorten the distance and I think would make the wheel farther from the frame.
Hard to tell without any pics though. It looks like you may have uplaod an image, but it is not showing up on this thread for me. Please try and post some more pics.
No matter what though - whatever is bent would just need to be replaced. Aluminum usually does not like to "bend back" without compromising its strength and many times will just break at the crease. Unsafe for sure!
You just need to figure out what is actually bent and then order a replacement from Cruzbike. They have stock for this.

Kenneth Jessett

Larry,
I can see the picture, here it is again:

thumbnail

The forks look undamaged but there is a slight parting on the front side of the joint between the forks and the yellow piece above it.

Larry,
I can see the picture, here it is again:

thumbnail

The forks look undamaged but there is a slight parting on the front side of the joint between the forks and the yellow piece above it.
Hi Kenneth we still can't see the image it looks like you have uploaded a link to yahoo. If you can see the link it means the image is private and we do not have permission to view. You will need to change permissions on the album or image in Yahoo (or where ever it is hosted). You can test it by opening the thread incognito

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Are you able to see it now? I'm hoping its just the bearings, else it's a new fork set (as per Jim P just now. Anyone know how much they cost?
Hi Kenneth, Yes we can see it now. Your top tube on your fork is most likely bent or ruptured. That must have been some "gap"you got stuck in! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Yes, you need a new fork. Send an email to robert@cruzbike.com with this photo and the version of you Vendetta. I cannot speak to the price, but I would be really surprised if it was over $125 (don't quote me on that :rolleyes:). Good Luck.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
You might want to take the opportunity of upgrading your chainstay too. It looks like your vendetta is a version 2. I am very pleased with mine

KneeDrachen

Glad to hear you're okay and your bike is able to be ridden again.

I always cringe this time of year knowing that the bicycle crashes are around the corner with the weather warming up.

Kenneth Jessett

I have crashed so many times on my standard bikes - mostly being taken off by dogs - that my body has a natural bounce to it these days. :eek:

Kenneth Jessett

This is an adjunct post to the crash problem.

The tyre punctured as a result of the crash and so today after getting the bike fork replaced I attacked the puncture problem.

Normally I can replace a tube on any of my standard bikes in five minutes depending on the weather and ditch conditions - where I usually end up on the country roads I ride - because as you all know, standard bike hangers are open. However, I have discovered that on the Vendetta - and maybe all front wheel drive bikes - the hangers are enclosed, so in order to remove the wheel to replace a tube, the skewer has to be pulled out resulting in the collapse of the entire drive train which is not the sort of thing you'd be anxious to tackle on a cold, wet, dark middle of the country road sans any kind of useful lighting.

Any thoughts from the gurus?

paco1961

Zen MBB Master

The tyre punctured as a result of the crash and so today after getting the bike fork replaced I attacked the puncture problem.

Normally I can replace a tube on any of my standard bikes in five minutes depending on the weather and ditch conditions - where I usually end up on the country roads I ride - because as you all know, standard bike hangers are open. However, I have discovered that on the Vendetta - and maybe all front wheel drive bikes - the hangers are enclosed, so in order to remove the wheel to replace a tube, the skewer has to be pulled out resulting in the collapse of the entire drive train which is not the sort of thing you'd be anxious to tackle on a cold, wet, dark middle of the country road sans any kind of useful lighting.

A short, heavy duty bungee helps. Wrap it around the outer before removing the skewer. Holds everything in place while you change the tire/tube. The alternative, as you have found, is a real mess.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have zip tied it. Works well. I experienced the mess when I put the bike on the smart trainer. After zip tie, no problem taking the bike off the trainer.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master

Yes zip ties to rescue.

Kenneth Jessett

The only way I could make any kind of sense of the mess was to position anther bike next to it and see how it all went together. But I wonder why the Cruzbike design of the wheel drop-outs are such that this is necessary. Every other bike made is not like this.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
The only way I could make any kind of sense of the mess was to position anther bike next to it and see how it all went together. But I wonder why the Cruzbike design of the wheel drop-outs are such that this is necessary. Every other bike made is not like this.

I think it's similar to my joke at our IT issues at work.... it's a feature you had to pay extra for. :)