Cruzbike KOM/QOM challenge 10-31-17 thru 10-10-18

Barefoot Biker

What - no lead out Kyle - come on , give her some help!
Great video - I am assuming that was your data in the video. Would be cool to see hers as a comparison. I am sure much less watts! :)

You know I always enter segments last Larry! I'm a pitiful lead out man - not smooth. I did give her a lead out on this one: https://www.strava.com/activities/1646511807/segments/41254158122 - only good for 8th place, average 26.5mph/178bpm, but she hit a respectable new top speed of 29.3mph! And, yes, those were my watts and HR (out of sync by a few seconds too, sorry - i'm learning). Her average HR for this segment was 150bpm. Mine was 155bpm and, as you saw, I was drafting her for most of it. It won't be long before I have to switch to my Vendetta to keep up.

Is a power meter a good valentines day gift???

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
You know I always enter segments last Larry! I'm a pitiful lead out man - not smooth. I did give her a lead out on this one: https://www.strava.com/activities/1646511807/segments/41254158122 - only good for 8th place, average 26.5mph/178bpm, but she hit a respectable new top speed of 29.3mph! And, yes, those were my watts and HR (out of sync by a few seconds too, sorry - i'm learning). Her average HR for this segment was 150bpm. Mine was 155bpm and, as you saw, I was drafting her for most of it. It won't be long before I have to switch to my Vendetta to keep up.
Nice!
Remember you need her to go after segments that are at least 1 mile long, or they don't count for Cruzbike challenge.

Barefoot Biker

yes - what @jond said - about 1mph or 1.5mph. it's a noticeable increase. i did change two things though. the size of the chainstay - small to medium, and the front rim - stock to lighter carbon 80mm williams. comfort is the same unless you count being able to see more of the road as being more comfortable. her stability did decrease slightly - she's using more road, but i think it's temporary and she'll adapt.

i rode her bike to adjust the shifting and for me - it made me feel fat because the bar ends no longer clear my stomach in a low speed turn, but i'm always surprised that i fit on it at all.

LarryOz

Slight update to rules:
Last date to ride and send your results in will be Saturday, October 6th.
When you finished, please send in your list of KOM's to webmaster@ultracycling.com - then the verification of the segments can be handed out to our volunteers to work on before the retreat.
As I mentioned earlier, sometimes the list of your KOM's in Strava seems to be incomplete. If you are happy with the list it has given you, you can just email the link to you KOM's and someone will go through them from there. If you need to send a detailed list, please do so in a google sheet or Excel spreadsheet like the one I posted some time ago.

Lucia is busy having 2 custom Jersey's made, and we will get them posted on this thread when available.

Good Luck everyone! Hoping to see many of you at the retreat!

LarryOz

Here's a video of one of my few KOM's of the year, done just 36 hours before Alvin's Mid-Atlantic Century. Not 360 degree cool like Kyle's but the best I got for now! :)
It is a 12 mile KOM with a turn around it in. I have the KOM for now, but knowing Alvin it is one that likely will not last for very long.

LarryOz

Hot off the press: Lucia just send me some pictures of what the KOM/QOM Jersey's will look like.
Only 30 more days to pursue those KOM's/QOM's guys and girls. Go for it!
Please remember to send your list on or before Oct 6 to "webmaster@ultracycling.com"
As a heads up, If you are competing in the contest and intent to send in a list, please send you name into ""webmaster@ultracycling.com" so they at least know how many people they are going to be dealing with.

Cruzbike KOM Jersey.png

Barefoot Biker

Nice TT KOM @LarryOz and very cool jersey! Wish you could be there for Ft. DeSoto - two races left and @Jesse Groves is faster than ever. I wish I could say that I have a cache of private KOMs to mark public on October 5th, but I do not. Probably Alvin is the smartest of all of us with a few tricks up his sleeve!!! :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
MY koms should count for double since I've been doing them on my slow DF bike.

Took a nice one last week during my double century, super fast, tight technical DH with lots of hard braking and blind corners. I think I bested my V20 time from two years ago by nearly a min on a 6 min segment. I imagine that one will hold for some time given the danger of that DH.

Sorry no video, I really regret forgetting the camera at home.

Barefoot Biker

they should count double - they're much harder!! i recently beat the second place time on a sprint down here by one second on my DF bike .... nothing happened - it wasn't even a 3rd best compared to the vendetta. :-/

VENDETTA V20
THE FASTEST ROAD BIKE IN THE WORLD.

wait...

Cannondale SystemSix
... the fastest bike in the world

really!? .... ummm, no, sorry, fastest UCI legal road bike - maybe. they really should have a way in strava to at least filter by type of bike. everyone can enjoy the competition on the leaderboard relative to everyone else, but it would be so much more obvious which is actually fastest and which human efforts were hardest. i mean, they already let you filter by age and weight which seems less useful.

and i really need to get back to the videos - i have a backlog of family vacation video I'm still working through!!!

LarryOz

MY koms should count for double since I've been doing them on my slow DF bike.
Sorry Rojo - That is why it is called a Cruzbike KOM. Instead of counting double - it counts zero since on a DF. :(
Seems to me, the steeper the climbs the easier it is to get the KOM on an upright, right?
I am not even that great on an upright, but put me on a 1 mile segment at 6% and I couldn't touch my upright time on my Vendetta. :eek:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Sorry Rojo - That is why it is called a Cruzbike KOM. Instead of counting double - it counts zero since on a DF. :(
Seems to me, the steeper the climbs the easier it is to get the KOM on an upright, right?
I am not even that great on an upright, but put me on a 1 mile segment at 6% and I couldn't touch my upright time on my Vendetta. :eek:

Maybe with how you have your V setup but how mine is it needs to be quite a bit steeper and longer for the DF to hold a noticeable advantage. Head over to the V20 vs DF thread and I'll post something interesting in just a bit. For now how about a KOM on a 23.7 mile segment with over 1200 people on the board and several PROs in the top ten from what I hear. 291 watts for just over an hour ain't too bad of an FTP test result even if the DH's kind of make it hard to keep the power up. This was done just now and I punctured my front tire about 4 miles into it but just kept going while the tire dropped to about 30 psi before sealing. I couldn't tell just how low it had gotten because it was well past sunset but on my 25mm internal width rims and 28mm tires I know I can lose a ton of air before I lose stability. Now just imagine if I had my Vendetta down here I bet I could save off 1-2 mins on a segment like this which is just sickening when you look at the people at the top of the board. People are getting so confused because even though I don't have the V20 with me I'm still rocking the Recumbent Dork name on Strava so half the people can't figure out where the bent is hiding during the group rides they attend :lol

https://www.strava.com/segments/11444068?filter=overall

LarryOz

Pretty funny guy - Some serious watts there, and a great video! I was worried when his heart was only beating 130 and he was pushing 500 watts. Glad to see he was over 170 even after a 5mins or so, and glad to see he was finally over 180bpm "only 400 watts near the top. Jason - you need to go take this on your Vendetta, and uphold your "Destroyer Of All Egos Upright! :) You might have a bit of a challenge with this guy - his Ego looks pretty .. well .. strong! :rolleyes: