Did you ride today?

randyspann

25 miles

- Did 25 miles today, temps in the low 40's. But freezing weather coming, so had to ride! I live 50 feet from some of the most beautifull riding in New England, USA!

what a difference a week makes

I rode the same route last Saturday as I did today. Well, actually I took a bit of a shortcut near the end of the route today (1 mile shorter) because I was running out of daylight.

Last week's ride was great. I averaged 18.6 over 54 miles! This is record speed for me over that distance. I felt strong for the whole ride. I was very pleased. The weather was perfect.

http://share.abvio.com/ac33/f44f/4d28/b19a/Cyclemeter-Cycle-20121117-1344.kml

I was much slower today. I didn't feel as strong as wasn't nearly as pleased with the result. I only averaged 17.15mph. It was 10 degrees colder (around 55 degrees) and a little windier today. I think that was the difference. All the pie and turkey I ate (and beer I drank) over the past few days may have had something to do with it too!

http://share.abvio.com/ac33/f44f/4d28/b19a/Cyclemeter-Cycle-20121124-1353.kml

BobD

Ken....

I like your steps!
I plan to have a Silvio in the next few weeks and will follow your plan...
bob

Jim Gerwing

Stationary recumbent

I rode today.
It was at the local recreation centre.
22 humdrum kilometres.
BUT Jim, from cruzbike, called and is shipping a cruzbike up here (western Canada) to save my soles.
Thanks, Jim.
Thanks,
Jim

Drew

Had two fabulous rides over

Had two fabulous rides over the last two days. 100k in the sunshine yesterday and 50 k in the cold wind today. It is just awesome to be riding in Ontario during my Christmas break.

mickjordan

Longest ride

Rode about 25 miles on the Silvio today, about 1000' of climbing, on the famous Portola Valley loop on the SF Peninsula. Took a short detour up the first pitch of the also well-known Old La Honda climb. Lots of wobble as my speed slowed on a short 9% section. Still occasionally terrified on descents when wobble occurs, and not always sure why, but hit 29mph on a straight run. Starting on any kind of grade still an enormous challenge, but riding the flats and easy grades is pretty comfortable. I think Q-rings would help a lot to smooth out the pedal stroke (and steer).

I will master this beast (before I sell it, if that every happens)!

I'm glad to hear that you are

I'm glad to hear that you are making progress Mick. 29 on a flat is not too shabby!

Here's a question to you Q-ring owners - did any of you have an ultegra triple before the Q-rings? If so, which Q-ring set did you replace it with (if you replaced just the rings and not the whole crank set)? It looks like I can replace the outer and middle ring but not the inner. Should I keep the inner ring or turn my triple into a double? I don't use it often, but I'm happy it's there when I want it. Will I miss it?

mickjordan

Re GLAD

The 29 was on a straight downhill, about 6%! I would normally hit 35 there on my DF bike, but I'm still too nervous on the CB for that.

I have just installed Q rings on my Bacchetta (and I have ordered a set for the Silvio). I have Ultegra triples on all four of my active bikes. In fact I had to replace the microShift FD with an Ultegra on the Bachetta to accomodate the 25 tooth granny, otherwise the chain rubbed the cage bottom (an artefact of the long RWD chain). I have a 53-39-25 on the Bachetta and I have ordered a 52-39-27 for the Silvio. You have to buy the granny separately (tagged as MTB) and the only choices are 25 and 27). Other people have said, however, that a Q ring on the granny is of little value. We shall see.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
If you are going 30 mph down

If you are going 30 mph down a hill and something happens, you don't have time to think what bike you are on. Reactions are instinctive. You better make damn sure your instincts are tuned into the bike you are riding. The bitter lesson for some is that this doesn't properly happen if you mix up riding other bikes. You'll react in around 300 ms with a full power stroke of one leg. You'll realise you have to coordinate your arms with your legs in the following 200 ms, which is too late.

The more experience you have on a RWD recumbent, the more instinctive are the reactions that will unglue you at the wrong moment, even when you are perfectly capable on the cruzbike most of the time. Riding a RWD recumbent deeply ingrains survival reactions that won't work on your cruzbike.

psychling

Quote from John Tolhurst:
"If

Quote from John Tolhurst:

"If you are going 30 mph downhill...

If you are going 30 mph down a hill and something happens, you don't have time to think what bike you are on. Reactions are instinctive. You better make damn sure your instincts are tuned into the bike you are riding. The bitter lesson for some is that this doesn't properly happen if you mix up riding other bikes. You'll react in around 300 ms with a full power stroke of one leg. You'll realise you have to coordinate your arms with your legs in the following 200 ms, which is too late.

The more experience you have on a RWD recumbent, the more instinctive are the reactions that will unglue you at the wrong moment, even when you are perfectly capable on the cruzbike most of the time. Riding a RWD recumbent deeply ingrains survival reactions that won't work on your cruzbike ."

John knows (and if he doesn't, I want to reiterate) that I have the deepest respect and admiration for his work. More, I like him and hope we get a chance to meet soon.

Having said that I have to firmly disagree with his post. And I know that others in the Cruzbike family share his conclusion.

It does, in fact, take a significant amount of time and experience to feel comfortable and to gain the `muscle memory' of the FWD/MBB platform. I have stitches, scars, enlarged knuckles and some holey trophies (lycra shorts, bloodied and shredded arm coolers) to support this. As well, on extended rides the cyclist has the benefit of getting a great upper body workout that is just not possible on a RWD recumbent. Not to mention the independent reality that a steeply reclined recumbent, on either the RWD or FWD (Vendetta) platform, requires a lot of time and training to master the many issues of balance, and road and terrain handling.

However, (and I'm o.k. with a little generalizing here from my `experiment of one') I conclude that there is a threshold of experience beyond which a cyclist consistently riding both platforms can claim more than mere competence; mastery, in fact.

Surprisingly, that's pretty much all I have to say about this.

- Dan

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Did I Ride Today?

No!
Nor do I plan to....

It's too early, there is still some coffee left in the carafe and, up here in the Northern Hemisphere, it's actually freezing outside.
I'll work up a sweat on my trainer-mounted bike and catch up on my reading later on, this afternoon.

I thought I'd chime in on mixing up riding platforms.
As a former motorcycle test rider, this subject just fascinates me.

I don't own any other two-wheeled vehicles of any type.
Nothing else interests me as much as my Sofrider, sorry.

The last time I rode a motorcycle, it weaved from side-to-side, exactly like it was a MBB (Moving Bottom Bracket)
bicycle for the first mile!
I was feeding the movement into the little (Huge, really, compared to my bike) Honda Silver Wing.
Apparently, riding nothing other than my Sofrider for a few years had trained my bodys' reflexes to the point
where any two-wheeled machine was treated like my Sofrider!

That's my story; my take on mixing up two-wheeled vehicles.
Your experience may be different and it may not.

My advice is to take things slow... at least for a mile or two, if you must switch from one style of bike to another!

Safety note:
brakes are an important safety feature, especially when you need them.
I make sure that anything I ride on two wheels has brakes where my reflexes need them to be.
Since motorcycles have their front brake on the right... that's where my bikes' front brake is mounted too.

Ride safely,

-Steve

mickjordan

Re QUOTE

At this point I don't have mastery of either a FWD or a RWD recumbent, just the experience that the learning curve is less for the latter and that inappropriate reactions to a crisis, real or perceived, can be more serious on a FWD. I do have mastery of a DF bike, however, after riding one all my life and doing many, many highly technical descents. It's fair to say that I never feel unstable on a DF bike unless I do something stupid like going too fast on an unknown hill, which I am old enough not to try on purpose. Based on what I know from friends who have crashed on DF bikes, if you ride on the edge, your number will come up one day and there is likely to be very little you can do to avert it, even when you consider yourself an expert. Partly this is because we don't, for obvious reasons, practice crashing. It's bit like a car driver on ice. If everyone was required to practice on a skid pan before getting a license, the roads would be a lot safer, as most drivers do the wrong thing instinctively. The equivalent for a bike would be the "descending skills" class I took last year (for DF bikes) where the correct technique for fast cornering was taught and practised to the extent possible. I have yet to find any equivalent for a recumbent. The techniques for a DF bike that involved body positioning and bike angle for cornering radius and solid wheel/road contact simply don't seem applicable to a recumbent. It's interesting that the class, which was given to the San Francisco Randonneurs was prompted by a crash where an otherwise experiencedf rider crashed on a high speed descent on an increasing radius corner because he did the wrong thing (instinctively, presumably).

Given that, I agree with Dan that it should be possible to master different styles of bikes and, to the extent possible, do the right thing in a crisis. The issue for me right now is the frequency with which mini-crises occur on the CB, often without any obvious explanation, something that just doesn't happen on my DF bike. But I've been riding a DF bike so long, I've probably forgotten how it all started, although I do recall (stupidly) riding no-hands around corners at the tender age of 5.

mickjordan

Sunny California

We are blessed in the Northern Hemisphere living in California. It was very wet over Xmas but today was one of those days that remind me why I live here. Crisp, sunny and 55F, great riding weather. Extended yesterday's ride up past the Crystal Spings reservoirs where the water from Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite is stored for us thirsty Bay Area people. The San Andreas fault zone runs right underneath the reservoirs and the valley I was riding along. Very picturesque. Longest ever 'bent ride at 3 hours and 42 miles. My glutes were feeing it, as was my upper back by the end, due to the top of the low Silvio seat hitting the exact spot where my upper spine has a bit of scoliosis. Maybe it will help correct it -;)

No failures to launch today and less wobble issues. One thing I love about the Silvio is the forward visibility, which is unsurpassed for a 'bent. Climbed one short stretch of 11% grade with no problems using the 30 granny gear.

Still having some trouble on bends on descents. Whereas on a DF bike I would set the angle early and ride through it, it seems as if the Silvio wants to oversteer when I angle in, which causes me to correct and straighten up. I guess I'll figure this out eventually.

BobD

First 10 miles clipped into my Silvio....

What a joy it is riding the Silvio.
I love it!

This past weekend the components were put onto the bike, and I took my third midday ride today on the Silvio.....the second and third were clipped into the pedals. And, what an amazing difference it was when clipped in.

Although I do have some introductory FWD/MBB time on the V2/K, I am taking it easy with the Silvio....at this point limiting myself to 15 mph. With each day the starts are easier....even on inclines, and the rides far less zig-zaggy. What I am really surprised about, is how much easier it is for me to handle the Silvio vs. my V2/K. The Silvio responds quicker to subtle corrections, which makes sense
given the significant difference in frame geometry, wheel size, and handlebar setup to name a few.

I am sure it will take about 500-1000 miles before I feel "at one" with this bike.....however the journey is going to be a helluva lot of fun. Cannot wait to ride again tomorrow. And, although I have ridden in 20-30 degree windy weather this week we expect 50-55 degree weather this weekend. I think it is time for a long ride.....cannot wait for the weekend.

Many thanks to the Cruzbike Team for creating such an extraordinary bent road bike!
Bob

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I think the difference in

I think the difference in handling feel is due the Silvio and Vendetta boom extending in an unbroken line inward past the stem riser towards the rider. There is a subtle difference in lever arm that I think makes control responses easier and quicker? with the handlebars on the straight boom rather than on a riser from the fork stem.

Look at side views of all 4 bikes and think about the feel between riding your V2/K and Silvio.

I would be really interested in your experience comparing how control inputs feel between the two different boom geometries to see how you describe them. Less force, more force for inputs? Latency, reaction times, etc?

I would also suggest comparing what happens when you move around in the seat while maintaining the same path of travel and see if you notice a difference there. E.g wiggle around in different ways while going straight or turning and see if the two types of geometry produce a different feel in this context.

-Eric

psychling

V v. S: biggest subjective difference

Angle of recline.

It takes some time to adjust to being reclined so steeply on the Vendetta.

The Silvio is initially less `radical' until you have more experience on the V.

Both are good for randos in rural locations.

The Silvio allows a greater sense of `comfort' in more built-up areas.

That being said, I think randoneurring is inherently dangerous because of the roads chosen for most.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The style of boom is not

The style of boom is not important to handling. If you can hold the body, wheels, crank, grips and head tube in the same position, any frame solution will give the same handling, provided the turning inertia (front end weight) is about the same.

thebean

Cold, windy ride yesterday in

Cold, windy ride yesterday in Arizona. I had to put fleece on, but had a smile the entire ride. I did my first downhill ride at a 4% grade, and just like my first ride on my Bacchetta,I found it a little bit scary (I was surprised as I am completely comfortable on this bike on my third ride, I feel right at home).

John, I can't say enough great things about he Silvio! At 51, I feel like a kid again!