Did you ride today?

Jim Gerwing

Doorway to a Quest

image_3.jpg
A Quest-ion of balance

Jim

Romagjack

Back on my Quest

I credit my Quest (and conversion CB) for getting me into great shape over the last several years and did my first century on my 64th birthday a little over a year ago. I generally do a minimum of 1 1/2 hours aerobic exercise per day but had been feeling some self diagnosed "indegestion" symptoms over the last several months. While at the gym doing my routine workout 10 days ago I suddenly felt exhausted, stopped the treadmill and headed for the locker room. After sitting down for 10 minutes and feeling a little better, I headed for the shower. Next thing I know I'm laying in a pool of blood on the shower floor having fainted and busted my head (requiring 12 stitches) wide open. I allowed the shower stream to flow while I sat dazed for 5 minutes or so before I surmised what happend. I grabbed a workout towel and pressed it to my headwound, grabbed my clothes and went to a vacant toilet stall where I managed to get dressed (one black sock and one white sock). When I staggered into the main entry area of the gym, 2 physicians that happened to be working out ran over and grabbed me and I was off to the hospital by ambulance. Long story short, I had a heart attack caused by a 100% coronary artery blockage and had a stent implanted the next day. I haven't felt this good in a long while and was ecstatic about my 16 mile ride today. Now I'm looking to up the ante from Quest to Vendetta.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Third Day of Commuting By Bike to Work

It was a windy one here in South Carolina. Currently, I am riding a Magna Fix-D single-speed/fixed bike that I picked up on clearance for $35. It's heavy, but the price was hard to say no to.

As I crested hills and was nearly brought to a complete stop by the wind, I found myself thinking of you lucky Cruzbike owners who get to cheat some of the wind.

At any rate, it was a good 27-mile round trip and I am going to keep at it whenever possible.

I rode today

Yes, I rode today. A little cold at first but it warmed up nicely. We rode 58 miles with an 18.3 average. That's pretty good for me. I rode with a bunch of DF's and unfortunatly we had a crash with 1 mile to go. 2 riders including me went down. The rider who caused it (by braking hard with people behind him) did not go down! The good news is that everyone walked away from it. The bad news is that I need a new front wheel for my Silvio.

It was a tough call for the rider in front who braked hard. The traffic light changed. Normally I am in favor of stopping at traffic lights, but in this case, I think it would have been best for him to go through. Maybe it's easy to say that after the fact. Ride safe, everyone!

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Too Warm To Not Ride!

Today was only my third ride this year, so far.

While puttering about in our bamboo this morning, a small group of talkative bicyclists passed by our home.
Stretching my back, I enviously watched as several riders bombed up the little hill.
Spinning his pedals rapidly, a Bachetta rider brought up the rear.

It was all just too much for me to take... so, after lunch, I went for a short ride on actual streets, outdside, on my bike.

There were not many people out riding in the early afternoon; you could count them on one paw.
(Less than four!)
But one guy was out riding on his recumbent tadpole tricycle....
-He was going the other way, on the road I sprint home on.
With the wind at my back, I passed the, 'trike-guy' going 30.3 miles per hour.

Not a bad day:
-over 70 degrees Fahrenheit;
-saw a Bachetta;
-blew past a recumbent trike and,
-averaged over 16 miles per hour.

My Sofrider still kicks A$$!

-Steve

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Maria should be finishing up

Maria should be finishing up the Heart of the South 500. Woot!

I did an easy 20 after flipping the stem around to get more knee room on the Quest. Fixes the tight knee clearance and right Achilles' tendon problem but puts my elbows down by my sides.

I think I was hyperextending my right Achilles' tendon, e.g. rotating ,my ankle too much to avoid my right knee smacking the SRAM dual drive housing.

I tried to keep it relatively easy to pay better attention to my ankle position. After the right had zero right ankle and Achilles' tendon soreness.

http://cyclemeter.com/a410b492c9780ff7/Cycle-20130406-1658?r=e

-Eric

currystomper

Didn't get out on my s24o this weekend

Didn't get out on my s24o this weekend,but did do 24 miles in the drizzle on Friday night

Have been doing lots of time on the turbo - so it was nice to get out and do some miles!!

... still looking forward to a nights camping in apple orchard this year.

CS

S24O?? see:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivendell_Bicycle_Works#cite_note-1- every one has time for a s24o and they are great fun!!

currystomper

Cruz to Culross Palace

A 30 miler to Culross Palace
A lovely day - but not many -folk on the road - why high winds!! - not a problem on the Cruz, 15 miles stright into a
westerly, a bit slower than normal, but fun on the way back!!

CS

2013-04-20%2016_06_06.jpg width: 1296px; height: 544px;

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
4/22 Commute

Not as picturesque as a ride through the Scotland countryside, but I got my first 13.5 miles of the week just by showing up for work.

alt="Map of My Morning Commute"
My%20AM%20Commute.png width: 292px; height: 455px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; margin: 5px;

When I returned to commuting by bike in January, this trip took me about an hour. I can now do it in about 45 minutes with a average speed of about 18 MPH.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
3/4 the time, 4/3 the speed,

3/4 the time, 4/3 the speed, 16/9 more drag, 64/27 the power output.

Andrew, you have more than doubled your sustainable power output! :)

chrisblessing

Yes I did...

Got in 28 km Sunday morning. As usual in Kuala Lumpur, up and down, and even picking my way through a construction site to join a connecting road (the bike crawls really well through wet dirt and sand). Great ride, and I continue to learn as I go. I look forward to installing a Nexus 8, relieving my concerns over doing in the derraileur which is just a few inches from the pavement.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Sustainable power output?

John, your mathematical comprehesion has far surpassed mine. I don't know about all the figures, but I think reducing the drag is my next big step. I read an article recently about riding in the drops saves 20% of the effort, but I personally have never been comfortable in the drops for more than a minute or so.

Sounds like I might do better on a Cruzbike :)

Andrew, if you put out that

Andrew, if you put out that much power on a Silvio, I'm guessing your average would easily be in the 20's.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
There are some people around

There are some people around with proper physics degrees, I trust my figures show I have learned a little from them. My vulgar conception is: double the speed, quadruple the power required, but that work has to be delivered in half the time (cause you'll finish in half the time), so double the power level again.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
^ That still makes my head spin

I have enough trouble reviewing my 11 year-old's algebra homework. I'll leave the higher maths up to people like you. ;-)

Jim Gerwing

First real world ride on Quest

I took my loaner Quest out on the road yesterday.
I have been doing +36km/hr sets of 15 minutes on the rollers so expectations were for similar results.

I did 4 legs measuring 6.8km each on my bike's computer (which I'm not sure is dead accurate but gives me a relatively good reading). Each leg was about the same challenge in terms of terrain, weather and road conditions.

Results in order, average speed: 28km/hr, 32, 33 and then 35.

Conclusion: I'm encouraged. . . . I have yet to add clippless pedals, a Vendetta, skill on bike and peak of season fitness. Add to this a perfect road and perfect weather and I'm reasonably hopeful of a +41.5km/hr one hour time trial.

I should have my Vendetta on the road this week. Pics to follow.

Jim

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Great job Jim.  You'll like

Great job Jim. You'll like it much better with clipless pedals. The V has much lighter steering than the Q. Keep us posted on your impressions.

I did NOT ride this weekend. High today was 51F briefly, mostly low 40s and blowing like stink. Low tonight is supposed to be around 28F. Should be back to normal temps mid-week.

-Eric

Jim Gerwing

Cruz News: PB on V2 for JG

40km/hr average speed
On an evening where I wasn't really expecting much, I surprised myself with a watershed performance.
After a 5km warmup I did a 16km(total) out and return. The first leg was into the wind so I wasn't really committed to pressing the issue but at the turn around I noticed my average speed was 37.4 which was significant because that was my previous best speed on this course. I knew the return leg was going to be fun with the wind at my back and at one point I was holding 50km/hr. This was also my first serious ride clipped in. This is an encouraging early return on my investment.

To paraphrase Han Solo: 'I have a good feeling about this'.

JG

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Dang Jim, I need you to coach

Dang Jim, I need you to coach me and/or you need to look into doing ultras or HPV racing.

You are smoking mister!

Do you have any hill climb data for old rides for comparison? I'm keenly interested to see how you do on the V.

-Eric