Disc wheel with disc brake, not rim brake?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi
I see quite a few members equipping their rear wheel with a disc wheel. However, they are usually with rim brakes. Any recommendation for a disc wheel for disc brake? If nothing else, they look really cool. :)

Thanks,

Michael

Hi
I see quite a few members equipping their rear wheel with a disc wheel. However, they are usually with rim brakes. Any recommendation for a disc wheel for disc brake? If nothing else, they look really cool. :)

Thanks,

Michael

I still have this in my to-do list. When I get around to it. Here’s what I’m planning:
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/rojoracing-style-diy-carbon-wheel-covers.12075/

Wheelbuilder.com sells a pre-made set, but claims it’s only for rim brake wheels. I think you could make it work, though.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Hi

Thanks,

Michael

This is possible - they need to usually be custom made though to be strong enough for a disc vs rim brake. Hard to find off the shelf - if not impossible.

Robert

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I have only ever seen front disk wheels that are both rim braked and tubular. I am not saying that a clincher and disc braked front wheel hasn't been made, just not aware of one.

3 ideas....

1. 2-Spoke makes front and rear in both rim brake and disc brake. This is a like a trispoke but just two blades.
2. Make a cover. There is a technique using the heat shrinkable plastic used on model airplanes. The wheel builder covers are made for the rear wheel and I am not sure they would fit properly due to differences in dish although two nondrive side covers might work.
3. I can't find the link but the european velomobile forums typically use a carbon sheet glued to the rim. There are a few specialty shops that sell then in 406, 451.....up to 622 (700c).

Beano

I recently bought some ABS plastic in an attempt to do this.

Very very tight fit regarding the space between the disk and the rear brake caliper, with some bodging you could do something I guess. FWIW the brake caliper is a Spyre disk brake,

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I thought about it. But what do I do with the presta valve?
The video that I saw a few years back addressed the hole needed for the valve. You glue a rectangular, semi rigid piece of plastic on the inside, it supports the "hole". I think had read of this technique on uk time trial forum or recumbents.com but I cannot recall. It is a very light and cheap way to get some free speed.

Here is one approach over on slwotwitch

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/..._wheel_cover_how-to_thread._P3552095/?page=-1

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I recently bought some ABS plastic in an attempt to do this.

Very very tight fit regarding the space between the disk and the rear brake caliper, with some bodging you could do something I guess. FWIW the brake caliper is a Spyre disk brake,
Ohoh... I have TRP Spyre as well. It does look very tight already even without disc cover.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I found the youtube video by Flamingeyeballs.......infamous velomobilist. He uses RC airplane monokote.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I found the youtube video by Flamingeyeballs.......infamous velomobilist. He uses RC airplane monokote.

Their end result looks amazing. I don't think I will try it on my carbon wheel. The original Velocity Aileron aluminum wheel may be better since this involves heatgun and gluing to the rim.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Their end result looks amazing. I don't think I will try it on my carbon wheel. The original Velocity Aileron aluminum wheel may be better since this involves heatgun and gluing to the rim.
It does look great eh? I watched that one, and in Youtube's recommendations I saw that GCN more recently did something similar by cutting out a disc from a thin plastic sheet, made a cut from the center to the edge then shaped and glued it so that it was conical and attached it to the wheel. While the Monokote is a great idea I think I'd probably try the plastic sheet because it is a bit more durable. If I knew the Monokote could handle a very high crosswind without getting damaged then the weight savings would be something to consider.

This got me to thinking to save a bit of weight in buying a set of wheels that are around 1500g, and putting a disc on them. I do have disc brakes on my V20, but if I had rim brakes then I would cut the disc to fit exactly up to the lip of the braking track for that extra bit of smoothness in air flow.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Covers from wheelbuilder weight nearly one pound. I had been looking at carbon and monocote to save what seemed at the time to be a lot of weight.

Depending on yaw angle (apparent angle of the wind), a cover and aero rim up front can save 80-100 grams of drag or said another way......40 seconds on 40km TT at 30 mph or more significantly and paradoxically at least 2 full minutes at 10 mph.

https://wheelbuilder.com/aerojacket-aero-data/

https://flocycling.com/blogs/blog/f...-time-and-power-are-affected-by-reducing-drag

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for those links Ed. I was surprised by the aerojacket's information. After watching both videos this evening I went to a shop here in Tokyo and found this black acrylic veneer that is 600mmX900mm and is 0.5mm thick for less than $15 per sheet. I believe there is a thinner one in white, and both seem durable enough. I already have a Campagnolo Zonda front wheel, but I think I can find a Campagnolo Scirocco 35mm for cheap to test out. The Scirocco looks similar to the DT Swiss RR 585 they tested.
Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 21.19.08.png

3bs

whereabouts unknown
ditto to @ed72 i don't ride my disc all the time, but it will matter at your speeds. flaming eyeballs is the best vid on how to do it on the cheap, and its lighter than my actual disc. cross winds wont hurt it.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for those links Ed. I was surprised by the aerojacket's information. After watching both videos this evening I went to a shop here in Tokyo and found this black acrylic veneer that is 600mmX900mm and is 0.5mm thick for less than $15 per sheet. I believe there is a thinner one in white, and both seem durable enough. I already have a Campagnolo Zonda front wheel, but I think I can find a Campagnolo Scirocco 35mm for cheap to test out. The Scirocco looks similar to the DT Swiss RR 585 they tested.
View attachment 10191
Do you have disc brake or rim brake?