Disc wheel with disc brake, not rim brake?

jond

Zen MBB Master
Caliper I tried abs covers. Work but heavy. 1 mm thick. Have ordered some heat shrinking monokote style material from banggood. 5 m x .64 m black $34 aud. Will try on disc and caliper wheels aluminium and carbon wheels......well maybe the carbon last. Going to use rubber cement. Try with a hairdryer first. Might need a heat gun.... hopefully it’s fun and worth it.

will be doing rear wheels only. Vendetta and pelso brevet.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You'll need to make your own and although the process is quite simple and easy, the tolerance due to the limited clearance between the disc caliper and spokes makes it very hard to get it right. IMO it has to be done with the .008" carbon sheeting I used because the ABS alternative is too thick and its own weight causes it to deform will rub the caliper. Another thing is because the clearance is so tight the angle of the disc from rim to the hub needs to be a compound angle to more closely follow the spokes after they cross one another. The trick I used to do that was to cut out a larger 6-7 OD hole at the center of the caliper side and finish the disc to the hub with vinyl wrap like you'd use to die cut stickers out of. I've made covers for my V20 twice and once for my Trek. Before anyone asks if I'll make them one, the answer is NO, because it cost too much $ in my time and the shipping the wheel back and forth because I need it to make it.

jond

Zen MBB Master
You'll need to make your own and although the process is quite simple and easy, the tolerance due to the limited clearance between the disc caliper and spokes makes it very hard to get it right. IMO it has to be done with the .008" carbon sheeting I used because the ABS alternative is too thick and its own weight causes it to deform will rub the caliper. Another thing is because the clearance is so tight the angle of the disc from rim to the hub needs to be a compound angle to more closely follow the spokes after they cross one another. The trick I used to do that was to cut out a larger 6-7 OD hole at the center of the caliper side and finish the disc to the hub with vinyl wrap like you'd use to die cut stickers out of. I've made covers for my V20 twice and once for my Trek. Before anyone asks if I'll make them one, the answer is NO, because it cost too much $ in my time and the shipping the wheel back and forth because I need it to make it.

well I’m trying a monokote style heat shrink much like as seen on catrike and flaming eyeball u tube video. I’ve got a caliper and disc wheel so if disc fails to clear I’ll report back. Not super keen on rubber cementing carbon rims to be frank.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
I hope you will video/ photo journalalling the process .....

hmmm it’s already been done to a crisp bbq. However I will start a thread and report with a few pics.

re evaluation of efficacy. Well I won’t be doing any scientific comparison apart from reporting speed wattages and veracity feel etc after.

I’ll start with a training aluminium wheel first. Have to wait now for Chinese post.

ps I think I could do without a rear brake for track days. So use brake surface and open caliper with a big don’t use me sign on brifter lol.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
hmmm it’s already been done to a crisp bbq. However I will start a thread and report with a few pics.

re evaluation of efficacy. Well I won’t be doing any scientific comparison apart from reporting speed wattages and veracity feel etc after.

I’ll start with a training aluminium wheel first. Have to wait now for Chinese post.

ps I think I could do without a rear brake for track days. So use brake surface and open caliper with a big don’t use me sign on brifter lol.
With your 80 years of cycling, you would NOT be able NOT to apply the rear brake, in an emergency, even with a sign!

jond

Zen MBB Master
With your 80 years of cycling, you would NOT be able NOT to apply the rear brake, in an emergency, even with a sign!

Yes at 59 I’m experienced slim you very old for your geriatric age ....but not old and bitter like south Australia.

I picked up my rubber cement from repco not available from Bunnings. I also bought two sided tape for the carbon rims if I want to go that way instead of rubber cement.

the profile of my training wheels are not necessarily conducive to not using the brake surface. Hence the track reference David. Are you okay with all this covid mate. I’ve had my first jab due second end August. Astra Zeneca.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yes at 59 I’m experienced slim you very old for your geriatric age ....but not old and bitter like south Australia.

I picked up my rubber cement from repco not available from Bunnings. I also bought two sided tape for the carbon rims if I want to go that way instead of rubber cement.

the profile of my training wheels are not necessarily conducive to not using the brake surface. Hence the track reference David. Are you okay with all this covid mate. I’ve had my first jab due second end August. Astra Zeneca.

How did you receive an AZ jab if SUPPOSEDLY only 59?????
I to am 59, and in South Australia I had to sign my life away to receive an AZ jab at a Super Vaccination Centre, as Pz was not available!

I will receive my second Jab on August 5th, but as Sth Aust is LIGHT YEARS ahead of NSW, I will receive it before you!

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
...I picked up my rubber cement from repco not available from Bunnings. I also bought two sided tape for the carbon rims if I want to go that way instead of rubber cement...
FWIW (For What It's Worth): Rubber cement stuck velcro to the Cruzbike carbon seat as well using peanut butter to attach shaving mirror to the shower wall. That is, it made a bit of a mess, did not hold usefully at all, but was relatively easy to clean up. Neither wet and stick nor wet each side and let dry and stick as contact cement. I did not taste test - it's probably toxic. (For some reason I can't find the emoji for peanut butter glue nor for rubber cement sandwich.)

FWIW (For What It's Worth): Rubber cement stuck velcro to the Cruzbike carbon seat as well using peanut butter to attach shaving mirror to the shower wall. That is, it made a bit of a mess, did not hold usefully at all, but was relatively easy to clean up. Neither wet and stick nor wet each side and let dry and stick as contact cement. I did not taste test - it's probably toxic. (For some reason I can't find the emoji for peanut butter glue nor for rubber cement sandwich.)
The Glue Master is here to help. I recommend cleaning the area with some fine sandpaper to remove any residual oils or form release compound. Then some double-sided tape may give some extra sticking power. After applying, adequate pressure and time will make it stick well.
Here's a good evaluation of some tapes:
Summary: LLP tape seems to be best. http://www.llptapes.com

I only use the bolts to attach the seat at the bottom, the tape & velcro grip solidly after a hundred miles or so.
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/thor-easy-gs-medium-mount-to-s40.13634/page-3#post-165886

jond

Zen MBB Master

yeah I’d reckon contact cement for that job. I’m primarily interested in being able to clean the fails up. I’ve got double sided tape not mounting tape which is to thick imho.ill try the rubber cement after alcohol wipe clean up on aluminium rim. If the experiment works I’ll try tape on carbon rims. And thanks @Mathew Fy