Electric Silvio

It looks great. I will be interested in your follow up comments after you have put a few miles on the bike. Well done.

brokemyback

I’m already having some philosophical issues with the electric conversion. Now I can go for a ride without even pedaling at all. Which raises the question, why didn’t I just crank up one of the motorcycles I never ride any more? The real test will be whether my cycling group disowns me, Now that I can keep up with ease. I mean, that’s the whole thing in a group ride is to get stronger and show the guys how you can stay on the front, right?

Last edited:
I rarely do group rides, mainly because I get intimidated with being able to stay up with the group. When I do ride with a group, it is not an issue with being up with the group. I pick my group carefully. But my metal gymnastics keeps me riding by myself which is ok. I can ride on my own schedule. When I see an electric bike…I do think they are cheating a bit. If your group rides for the social aspect..they won’t care. If they ride more for competition, your bike might be an issue. The solution…just buy another bike. You will go faster on a new bike for sure. One electrified and one not. Another bike must be the answer.

CuHead

Nice photos of your bike. How do you like the chainstay extension? I put one on my older Silvio and it seems like a different bike; more aero and requiring another level of balance ability, but better leg extension when pedaling. WRT your group rides, I agree with Jake, time for another bike, could be a nice used bike for a low price at this time of year.

brokemyback

I made a little video showing how the motor works. It is silent when it is not assisting. When my speed drifts below the speed I set with the throttle, the motor slowly applies power (and noise). Pedaling faster than the “set speed” the motor does not appear to assist at all, nor create any drag. I always cut the power before doing any turns. I’m still toying with controls, it will accept a “kill/brake” input, so I may rig a kill switch. The “power levels” 1-9 simply limit the top speed (same as limiting how far you twist the throttle), so I just set it on 9 every time and control “cruising speed” by setting the throttle. On a group ride, the motor noise will be the giveaway whether I’m getting assistance or not.
The evening ride game has become…set a speed and try to pedal fast enough to prevent assist from engaging.

Video link (sorry about the wind noise!)

Last edited:

brokemyback

Nice photos of your bike. How do you like the chainstay extension? I put one on my older Silvio and it seems like a different bike; more aero and requiring another level of balance ability, but better leg extension when pedaling. WRT your group rides, I agree with Jake, time for another bike, could be a nice used bike for a low price at this time of year.
I tried riding without the chainstay extension. No bueno for me - I’m too tall. So I‘ve only ridden with it installed, nothing to compare to. It does get my feet pretty high, which I’m sure makes the learning process more difficult. Also, I’ve never gotten as smooth as I was on my DF bike. I used to be able to hold line perfectly straight, but now I always have some wobble on the Silvio. Nobody really complains in a paceline, because I have no draft. Nobody wants to sit on my wheel!

brokemyback

I rarely do group rides, mainly because I get intimidated with being able to stay up with the group. When I do ride with a group, it is not an issue with being up with the group. I pick my group carefully. But my metal gymnastics keeps me riding by myself which is ok. I can ride on my own schedule. When I see an electric bike…I do think they are cheating a bit. If your group rides for the social aspect..they won’t care. If they ride more for competition, your bike might be an issue. The solution…just buy another bike. You will go faster on a new bike for sure. One electrified and one not. Another bike must be the answer.
A new bike always fixes everything! I am pretty excited to see how it’s accepted on the group ride this weekend. After yesterday’s test ride, I‘m really happy with the “friction throttle” behavior. I can set a minimum speed, and any pedaling above that speed is non-assisted. If my speed drifts below the set speed, the assist comes on gradually. It should be perfect for riding with the group.

brokemyback

I've abandoned the kill switch idea. I can overpower the motor at full boost, using rim brakes only, so there's no need for a kill switch to address panic stops. I've also learned that setting #5 is 20mph max, and setting #7 is 25mph max. I'll probably set it on #5 and turn the throttle wide open for group rides. I can make throttle adjustments when the group slows.

brokemyback

It looks great. I will be interested in your follow up comments after you have put a few miles on the bike. Well done.
Ride report: Oh my gosh, it’s fantastic! I did my first group ride today. The fast guys didn’t show so it was a slower pace. 35 miles, probably 18.x average speed. I used the motor exactly ONCE on an uphill, cracking the throttle just enough to give me a little push. I was surprised the extra 20 lbs I added to the bike wasn’t even noticeable, partly because I live on the coastal plain and “hills” are very short and gentle. However, I did crank the throttle wide open three times during the ride. I have a ”pee” thing where I must stop rather frequently on the second half of the ride (discussed at length under my “peeing” thread on the forum). So I quietly dropped off the back of the group, had a pee, and gassed it back to the group at 31mph before they noticed I was missing. This is the PERFECT solution to my pee problem. I’m no longer holding up the group!
I made some “rules” for myself, regarding using the motor with a group. Never use the motor to pass or stay in front. Only use the motor to catch up/stay up with the paceline, or gobble up some miles after I’ve dropped off for a pee.
The friction throttle worked perfectly on my one uphill. I set it about 14mph and ignored it as I finished the hill. It added a graduated amount of assist when my speed dropped below 14mph. Of course it was also perfect for my high speed chases - just set it on MAX and concentrate on handling the bike and pedaling hard. Set and forget.
The only “drawback” is loading the bike on the trailer hitch rack. I’m accustomed to the rear of the bike being feather weight. Now it’s a pig to lift onto the rack. But the extra weight was suprisingly un noticeable during the ride. I recall being thrilled with a new carbon DF bike, because you can feel the reduced mass when you throw the bike side to side during a climb. Since the recumbent isn‘t getting tossed around like that, I could not detect the extra weight. Plus I have the 10lb battery mounted very low on the frame, and the 10lb hub motor is low also.
Overall I’m really happy with the setup. I’m looking forward to riding with the fast group when they show up.

Ride report: Oh my gosh, it’s fantastic!
Thank you for the report. It sounds like this might be in my future. I love my S30, in fact, I love it so much that I have two S30’s. The weight does concern me some since transporting the bike might be difficult. I do like where you mounted the battery and hub motor. This could certainly keep me riding longer with a small group.

Apollo

Ride report: Oh my gosh, it’s fantastic! I did my first group ride today. The fast guys didn’t show so it was a slower pace. 35 miles, probably 18.x average speed. I used the motor exactly ONCE on an uphill, cracking the throttle just enough to give me a little push. I was surprised the extra 20 lbs I added to the bike wasn’t even noticeable, partly because I live on the coastal plain and “hills” are very short and gentle.
Thank you for the ride reports, they're very useful. My bike is very similar to yours but without front suspension. To be honest, I'm surprised this kit added 20lbs to your bike. That seems a little excessive to me. Usually I hear of e-assist kits adding 8-10lbs of weight. Maybe these are low capacity kits, I'm not completely sure. I contemplated installing one on my bike but wouldn't do it if the weight was nearly as much as the bike itself. I know the power more than compensates but what about the rest of the time? I'd consider a kit with at most half the added mass (10lbs) because the use would be only on streets where there's a lot of traffic. I am glad you love the project and very happy for you. Wish I knew what to do.

CuHead

Leaf spring on your newer Silvio has squared edge mount so should not be prone to break. My earlier Silvio has round mount edge which caused spring failure.

FWIW, I recently replaced old wheels on a MTN bike because of multiple spoke hole failure. I had another set of wheels with similar Shimano hubs, but Schraeder instead of Presta. I put a 1" double layer of Gorilla tape inside my rim at the valve hole to center the smaller Presta valve inside the rim and hopefully keep the tube from extending up and out toward the axle; pierced the tape with a pointy metal tool. I had bought a 5-pack of Continental 'Conti' tubes and 'suddenly' realized each had a metal valve nut that centered the stem in the larger Schraeder hole.

Attachments

• presta schraeder.jpg
    presta schraeder.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 7

CuHead

Ride report: Oh my gosh, it’s fantastic! I did my first group ride today. The fast guys didn’t show so it was a slower pace. 35 miles, probably 18.x average speed. I used the motor exactly ONCE on an uphill, cracking the throttle just enough to give me a little push. I was surprised the extra 20 lbs I added to the bike wasn’t even noticeable, partly because I live on the coastal plain and “hills” are very short and gentle. However, I did crank the throttle wide open three times during the ride. I have a ”pee” thing where I must stop rather frequently on the second half of the ride (discussed at length under my “peeing” thread on the forum). So I quietly dropped off the back of the group, had a pee, and gassed it back to the group at 31mph before they noticed I was missing. This is the PERFECT solution to my pee problem. I’m no longer holding up the group!
I made some “rules” for myself, regarding using the motor with a group. Never use the motor to pass or stay in front. Only use the motor to catch up/stay up with the paceline, or gobble up some miles after I’ve dropped off for a pee.
The friction throttle worked perfectly on my one uphill. I set it about 14mph and ignored it as I finished the hill. It added a graduated amount of assist when my speed dropped below 14mph. Of course it was also perfect for my high speed chases - just set it on MAX and concentrate on handling the bike and pedaling hard. Set and forget.
The only “drawback” is loading the bike on the trailer hitch rack. I’m accustomed to the rear of the bike being feather weight. Now it’s a pig to lift onto the rack. But the extra weight was suprisingly un noticeable during the ride. I recall being thrilled with a new carbon DF bike, because you can feel the reduced mass when you throw the bike side to side during a climb. Since the recumbent isn‘t getting tossed around like that, I could not detect the extra weight. Plus I have the 10lb battery mounted very low on the frame, and the 10lb hub motor is low also.
Overall I’m really happy with the setup. I’m looking forward to riding with the fast group when they show up.
35 miles on the coastal plain. Impressive performance packing 20 extra pounds. I'd guess the motor setup is temporary or may find other uses such as mountain ascents. Sounds fun and probably more dependable than the Starburst C4 energy drink I tried yesterday to rev up my motor.

brokemyback

… I had bought a 5-pack of Continental 'Conti' tubes and 'suddenly' realized each had a metal valve nut that centered the stem in the larger Schraeder hole.
Ha! I ordered a presta/Schraeder adapter…before I discovered the same thing. Presta lock ring has a shoulder made specifically to center in a Schraeder drilled rim.

Bentas

Nicely done, looking to do something similar with my Home built carbon mbb, would you mind posting specs and price of hub kit and battery? Where to buy?
I have converted a chunky version for touring, but looking to go a bit stealthier/lighter for day trips, group rides.

Attachments

• E0EDDE60-48AD-4DB7-9182-72A408C933F9.jpeg
    E0EDDE60-48AD-4DB7-9182-72A408C933F9.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 13
  • 968CFB01-0841-42CB-A75E-957B3BCFF7A2.jpeg
    968CFB01-0841-42CB-A75E-957B3BCFF7A2.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 13

brokemyback

…would you mind posting specs and price of hub kit and battery? Where to buy?….
I added links to all the parts at bottom of post #1.
Everything purchased from Amazon except the wheel and hub which came from EBay.

Price summary:
Motor: eBay Bafang front wheel w/ hub motor 48V 500w 700c w/o battery $346.52
Battery Amazon QWW battery 48V15ah30amp $278.98
Velcro strips Amazon Reusable Cable tie 20 pack $9.99
Storage box Amazon co2Crea hard EVA carry case $16.99
Torque strap Amazon Bafang torque arm kit $9.98
Thumbscrews McMaster
Zip ties
½” PVC scrap
1” nylon strap

Cut rear dropout width to 10mm
Drill and trim torque arm 6mm diameter hole
Cut and splice battery connector

Last edited:

JoFlo

I added links to all the parts at bottom of post #1.
Everything purchased from Amazon except the wheel and hub which came from EBay.

Price summary:
Motor: eBay Bafang front wheel w/ hub motor 48V 500w 700c w/o battery $346.52
Battery Amazon QWW battery 48V15ah30amp $278.98
Velcro strips Amazon Reusable Cable tie 20 pack $9.99
Storage box Amazon co2Crea hard EVA carry case $16.99
Torque strap Amazon Bafang torque arm kit $9.98
Thumbscrews McMaster
Zip ties
½” PVC scrap
1” nylon strap

Cut rear dropout width to 10mm
Drill and trim torque arm 6mm diameter hole
Cut and splice battery connector
Thanks for the info. Considering adding E-assist to my Silvio S30. Also riding a V20. Both are about 7 years old.

brokemyback

Glad it’s helpful. I continue to be very happy with the mod. The friction throttle works perfectly. Surprisingly,even the extra 20 lbs is not a problem. (It’s pretty flat here). I did the last 3 out of 4 rides with no assist, except when chasing down the group after a pee stop. My self imposed rule is: no assist to pass any riders. Only to catch up if I fall off the pace.

brokemyback

Another update. I finally found a used V2 locally. So I’m up to two cruzbikes, one electric and one not. I’m riding the V2 for solo rides, and the electric bike for group rides. The electric bike has been working reliably and flawlessly. I’ve never come even close to exhausting the battery, so it’s obviously over-capacity considering how I use it.