Emmitt Smith Grand Fondo Century on 9/17/2016 - Results

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
No matter how awesome the Vendetta is it only gives you so many watts advantage and frankly a true pro rider just makes so many more watts then us recreational racers. Even a small breakaway of 3 pro riders will kill a group of fast recreational racers. I can't wait to here Larry's view on how things went.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hey all,
Quick update.
Finished around 4:15!
Lead group of about 50 broke up around mile 50., after sharp turn and some of the biggest climbs. I TT'd after that averaging close to 25, passing at least 2 sub groups. Had lead group in site, then made 1 wrong turn, so lost a minute.
Started catching them again and had them in site, then some really sharp quick, fight, left turns. As I sat up to turn, my calves cramped. Pulled to stop, put let down to catch me, then both hamstrings seized up. I fell over in the road. Some one came and untangled me from my bike. I massaged my hamstrings for a couple minutes. All those people that I passed started passing me.
I could walk around so I got back on the Vendetta and took off. I tried to catch a group of about a dozen tiers, but I could not. Mostly because if I started pushing too hard my legs would start to cramp again.
Last 20 miles I also had to stop for stop lights and there were plenty, since I was not with the lead group. That probably cost me at least another 10 minutes. Not to mention fighting the cramps every time I had to stop and put my legs down.
More later, also full video to process.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Random cramping with a last min high intensity race, yup I've been there. Sorry that's how it played out but good job with the effort and I'd like o hear in more details what you've learned riding within such a competitive field.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
No one older then Lawrence in front of him in the results. Finished 30th
Emmitt%20Smith%20Grand%20Fondo%20Century_zpsdruwdyd0.png

Cruzbike Chris

That was almost as much fun cheering Larry on as riding. Lots of videos on FB here including Larrys, finish and the top finishers. Way to go Larry will support you anytime sir....

Congratulations Larry. You should be proud of a top 30 finish with all those young bucks. If you start googling those names its an impressive list. Is that the same William Stephens that rode in the Giro this year? Grayson Keppler looks like a US National MTB Champion and is in the Xterra World Championships in October. Plus he's a category 1 road racer. Cameron Hoffman, Cat 1. Justin Stanley, Cat 1. Looking at the 50 year old in the pack a head of you, Hugo Scala is Cat 3. His 17 year old son is being groomed for the pros and is already a Cat 2.

It's quite impressive that a 56 year old weekend warrior can show up and mix it up with all these experienced racers. Chapeau!

Find some pedigree here: https://www.road-results.com/

LarryOz

Congratulations Larry. You should be proud of a top 30 finish with all those young bucks. If you start googling those names its an impressive list. Is that the same William Stephens that rode in the Giro this year? Grayson Keppler looks like a US National MTB Champion and is in the Xterra World Championships in October. Plus he's a category 1 road racer. Cameron Hoffman, Cat 1. Justin Stanley, Cat 1. Looking at the 50 year old in the pack a head of you, Hugo Scala is Cat 3. His 17 year old son is being groomed for the pros and is already a Cat 2.

It's quite impressive that a 56 year old weekend warrior can show up and mix it up with all these experienced racers. Chapeau!

WOW - Thanks so much for the encouragement Doug!
I really needed that right now - as I was sitting here writing my ride report and getting a little disappointed and feeling sorry for myself. :(
I was so close to making it in with the lead group, but the wrong turn and the cramp while chasing them down just sealed my fate.
Thanks again buddy - I'll be Cary the weekend of November 5th for my father's 80th birthday - hopefully you'll be in town and we can ride together some.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry,
You forgot to say "shut up legs!!!" didn't you!!!

Another great effort, and putting Cruzbike on the map!
Did you realize that you were the oldest rider, by 4 years, but were still able to kick but!

Are you related to Amelia Earhart?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I am about to be 53, but Oslund, Lawrence of Hendersonville is so much more precipitous than I am. Stopping, going the wrong way, he laughs in the face of all that, and shows his rear-light to all those who challenge him!

Cruzbike Chris

What Larry forgot to mention: a couple hours after the race, a quick shower and a bite to eat he thought it prudent to go do a couple of 5 mile, 170 watt TT testings on a CA2 so he has more Vendetta ammo to sling. Ask him how that worked out. I'm sure a full report is in the works as always......Larry you are a Manster on 2 wheels, great weekend and enjoyed having you here and allowing Donna and I to be a part of your big adventure. Great big Texas style Black Angus ribeye finished off the night for dinner and not a scrap left on Larry's plate. Sorry, no pictures of that.

LarryOz

Way to go Larry.

You are an inspiration!

As always, I'm looking forward to the videos and race report.
Thanks Steve - and everyone else.
I'm putting the final touches on my ride report and uploading the video now (Full Century at 4x speed - so it will still take an hour to watch it - Sorry!)
I'll work on a "best clips" shorter version later, but all that editing takes some much time - probably 10 hours of watching and editing 4 fulls hours of video to get a nice 15 minutes "best clips" little movie.
Hope to post if later tonight. :)

I'll be Cary the weekend of November 5th for my father's 80th birthday - hopefully you'll be in town and we can ride together some.
Larry, I'd love to catch up with you again. You'd be happy with my progress since I got serious about riding the V in July. My conditioning is coming back. Six english centuries over the last two months. I should be able to get a couple more in. Unfortunately I have shoulder surgery on Nov 3 so will miss riding with you on the 5th. Hopefully I can motivate myself to use the indoor trainer over the winter until I can ride again. Sigh. I am doing the first 3 days of Cycle NC Mountains to Sea if you are able to do that this year.