Fairing and Canopy

Opik

Interesting and looking good.

How is the protection against sun or rain?

How faster is it on the flats?

Tortue

Protection from rain is limited only by speed. I designed the ability to lower and extend the leading edge of the canopy to reduce rain ingress. However, this is also speed dependent. If there's no headwind, I'm dry to about 15mph. I'm messing around with a shortened poncho that attaches to the underside of the aft fairing to keep the spray off of my shirt. I rode 10 miles last week in a steady rain and, other than my face and a few errant drips on my shirt, I came home dry.
Obviously the sun angle will dictate protection levels.
So far so good though.

Tortue

I haven't done any speed tests, other than pushing the bike to about 30 with the canopy in it's raised position. It held up but it's a bit hairy.
I'll get to testing soon with some downhill coasting trials next week.

Tortue

Haven't had a chance to do any aero testing. Been too gusty the last 3 days.
However, I did get around to designing a canopy mount that bolts onto the upper seat pan. Completely freed up my rack for a top bag.
I think it looks sleeker, and by releasing the forward canopy clips the top slides back ala convertible.
As you can see, my T50 is electrified. All Grin Tech components, stupid fast and, dang is it fun!
My other ebike is a mid-drive mountain bike that I've been commuting with for a few years, rain or shine. Due to nerve damage from neck injury and surgery, I've opted for a more comfortable riding position.
I'm currently salivating for a Q45. From what I can tell, the canopy/fairing and ebike parts should be a direct swap.
Anyone in the Northwest wanna buy a lightly used T50?
I'll get around to doing some aero testing, with and without the fairing/canopy, later this week and post my results.
Happy riding!Version 3.jpg

McWheels

Off the long run
Huuuuge kudos! Great build. A thought about aero advantages though. Can you extend the lower front further down and back so it splits either side of the front wheel and maybe attaches at the axle bolts? You'll have a much more enclosed front end and hopefully better airflow around you.

Tortue

Great suggestion!

My biggest concern after riding around a bit with your idea in mind is being able to quickly tap down while moving slow.
I brought the lower edge back as far as I could without creating another attachment point.
As it is, there's such limited airflow on the front wheel, the water drips vertically down from the fenders and tire, leaving my shoes totally dry.
One of my goals was to have the fewest attachment points possible to make removal easy. I can put it on/up in about a minute and remove it in 30 seconds or so. I have limited storage space in my garage and needed to store it flat, bungee corded on the ceiling. When it's wet, I leave it leaned up against the wall until it's dry.
I'm working on a roll up bag and strap points that will allow me to disassemble it and attach it vertically behind the seat. Takes about six minutes to fully assemble it.

I've encountered an added bonus to riding around with it mounted, drivers give you gobs of room!

Currently designing hard points for the aft fairing edge so it's independent of the canopy tension to stay in place.

Shamanick

Bravo! For innovation, and delivering a no-nonsense improvement, which others might tackle, without extreme stress!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
In two sections, so the front part can turn with the steering. You do not have to think about that on most recumbents.

The front mudguard on my Silvio looked like yours. The BB and the chainwheel were getting plastered. So now it has one that goes all the way under the BB.

Tortue

Nice benefit of the front fairing, there's no wind to push the water back off the tire until it gets below the lower edge of the fairing. Basically below the cassette/disc.
I've upped the fiberglass rod diameter to 5/16" and added hard connections to the handlebar ends. Much stiffer and able to handle the 30mph speeds.
Also added a flip up/down windshield made of 1/8" lexan. I coated it with Rain-X.
Very dry ride.
Pics later

Tortue

It's not a sealed environment, but rather like an umbrella. I've ridden dozens of times in various rain events and I've only encountered strong side winds a few times since the rains started.
I wear wind proof pants and a fleece lined high viz jacket in the pouring rain. Haven't needed rain shoes, rain pants or a raincoat yet.
I have added a windscreen that has kept me dry up to unsafe speeds (35mph+). YeeHaw!!
Because the the majority of the fabric planes are horizontal, I'm not buffeted as much as you might expect.
I've ordered a new Q45 and will be transferring all the goodies over to the Q.
Anyone in PNW looking for a T-50?

Last edited:

Tortue

I'm more interested in developing a viable ultralight EV alternative that can be used year round, no matter where you live. Obviously ice and snow are a headache for reliable commuting.
While the aero crowd will never buy into this concept, I think the LEV peeps will.
Most of my in town errands don't require a full sized vehicle.
I've added a trailer to take the pooch for rides to her favorite swimming holes and it doubles as a 6 bag(150lb) grocery hauler.
Realistic e-range with my normally aggressive power usage is around 25-30 miles with a 52v 14.5ah LIon battery. I carry an extra battery if I'm worried about distance. I've babied a single charge to 49 miles without pedaling.
So far, knock on wood, no problems after seven months and just a bit under 1200 miles with the canopy/fairing.
I'll add more pics of the windscreen sometime.

Quick question... Does it make me look like a dork? :confused:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
1. I'll add more pics of the windscreen sometime.
2. Does it make me look like a dork? :confused:
1. Yes please!
2. Of course it makes you look like a dork. But who is wet and uncomfortable? It also makes you look like a genius and someone to look up to for most of the people we care about. Someone who improves our world one two wheeler at a time.

Tortue

In the meantime... Think Willy's jeep on the windscreen. Flips up for protection and lays flay on the fabric/frame in it's stored position.
1/8" lexan zip-tied to 1/8" fiberglass rod frame with 3d printed hinges.
Liberal coat of RainX

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Top effort mate. I'm wondering for your next project if you can keep the overhead part, but for the bottom use 1 of those pop up tents with flexible poles to make it more round and aero like a faired recumbent, and keeps out the elements

Tortue

Aero testing revealed that use of the fairing had no net effect on Wh/mi. (per CA3)
Canopy had slightly negative effect, but was expected. Less than 5% after several runs over the same course.
The tests were done using a CA3 to measure watt hours used over a two mile course at 15mph.
One mile in each direction to account for wind averaging. Performed five times and scores averaged.
The trade off of being protected from the sun/rain is worth the reduced range.
I've tried adding side protecton, but I gotta tell ya, a little side wind sends you out into traffic, like right now! No thanks.
Further, in order to "fair" the side planes, you'd have to add a lot of width. Not a viable approach with our stingy, so called bike lanes in Seattle.

Besides, I don't think I'm clever enough to come up with a pop-up fairing in the way you describe. Need a tent/umbrella engineer to do some real head scratchin'.

Last edited:

Tortue

If I didn't have to co-exist with cars, I would have a carbon fiber, gaff rigged, loose-foot sail on every bike.
When I was younger, I messed around with sails and kites on skateboards and bicycles. Squirrely as it gets when it's gusty, but I recall some blazing runs and bloody elbows at the parking lots of Cal Expo in Sacramento back in 1973-74.

Beaches and big parking lots are there for a reason, right?

Hughes

Love it!
When I lived in Renton and commuted to Bellevue, WA I had a BikeE that I made a corroplast roof with a flip "down" lexan wind shield (I flipped it up and it rested on the roof when not needed). It helped a lot on those rainy commutes. I tried to post a photo but it wouldn't let me...

Now I live in Utah and am thinking again about a roof, but this time for protection from the sun. Love your design.

It looks like a fiberglass pole that you're using for structure?