Fairing and Canopy

Tortue

3d Printed parts, parachute cord, SilNylon and fiberglass rod.
Check my thread Q45 upgrades to see the adaption to the Q

Bill Wightman

That looks pretty cool and provides some sun and rain protection. I periodically think about reasonable fairings for the V20 and always run into the "this is way too much weight and hassle for a weekend sport bike" problem. There may be a solution that uses a common cloth and frame solution that is optimized with CFD such that the frame members and sharp chine of these designs do not greatly reduce efficiency. Almost like a class of quasi-laminar 4:1 or 5:1 teardrop shapes optimized for 4, 5, or 6 sides. It would be fun just to do the analysis.

billyk

Guru
That looks pretty cool and provides some sun and rain protection. I periodically think about reasonable fairings for the V20 and always run into the "this is way too much weight and hassle for a weekend sport bike" problem. There may be a solution that uses a common cloth and frame solution that is optimized with CFD such that the frame members and sharp chine of these designs do not greatly reduce efficiency. Almost like a class of quasi-laminar 4:1 or 5:1 teardrop shapes optimized for 4, 5, or 6 sides. It would be fun just to do the analysis.

Year-round Seattle commuters like @Tortue and me are mainly focused on fairings as raingear, not speed. I've built a few, using a completely different tack (rigid polycarbonate). One was a repurposed Zzipper bubble that did provide significantly reduced drag (tested by downhill rolling times), but wasn't as good for rain. My present one is angular: great raingear but does very little for drag.

See some discussion and links to pics at
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/fairing-missing-from-end-bikeism.13096/

Also a photo of the two fairings meeting during the pandemic:

http://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/cruzbike-ppe-two-versions.13463/

Tortue

Q45.jpg This full canopy/fairing setup is not for everybody, but it works great for me as rain/sun/cold air protection on my eQ45.
I've talked to dozens of curious cyclists that would love to have the option for rain protection, but the options for non-recumbents are almost nil because of the wind resistance/buffeting inherent in the upright position. Most of the recumbent riders I've met on the road are just trying to keep up with the uprights and can't imagine adding weight to their struggles.

Arriving home/work with completely dry clothing and bike seat after a 5-10 mile, heavy rain commute ,was just one of my goals.
It weighs less than 2.5 lbs total, stores flat, can be installed in less than 2 minutes, can handle 25-30mph constant speeds, isn't affected uncontrollably by side winds, has a convertible top for sunny days, great visibility and has taken a few complete knock-downs, without breaking/tearing.
As far as adding extra weight to the forward MBB, the 8 ounces of fiberglass rod, parachute cord, 3d printed parts and SilNylon fabric, weighed at the crank position, is hardly noticed.
I was able to re-adapt it from a T50 to the new Q45 with only one minor attachment modification at the handlebar in less than a half hour.
I can pack it into a 36"X3" mailing tube with room to spare. No go with a hard fairing...

I get a bit irritated at the moronic comments from the know-it-all's, that have no real world experience with wind/rain profiles or aerodynamics other than what they've experienced by sticking their hand out the window of a moving car. No, it can't fly, it's not a kite, a sail, a parachute or a replacement for sunscreen.
The most asked question is " don't you get pushed into traffic by the wind?"

Not yet...

Wind, (pressure differential compensation force), is predominately horizontal at ground level, the only fairing surface that can constantly "catch" this wind is the front fabric curve and the windscreen, and only affects forward effort, not steering. 'Sides, if the side wind is strong enough to blow the rain far in enough to get me wet, there ain't another cyclist anywhere to notice anyway. Trust me, Seattle is full of whimpy-a$$, radar app riders. And, that's 36 years of Seattle winter biking experience talking.
cid:bc9f05cb-246a-441d-acec-1484c66c00c1

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 11068 This full canopy/fairing setup is not for everybody, but it works great for me as rain/sun/cold air protection on my eQ45.
I've talked to dozens of curious cyclists that would love to have the option for rain protection, but the options for non-recumbents are almost nil because of the wind resistance/buffeting inherent in the upright position. Most of the recumbent riders I've met on the road are just trying to keep up with the uprights and can't imagine adding weight to their struggles.

Arriving home/work with completely dry clothing and bike seat after a 5-10 mile, heavy rain commute ,was just one of my goals.
It weighs less than 2.5 lbs total, stores flat, can be installed in less than 2 minutes, can handle 25-30mph constant speeds, isn't affected uncontrollably by side winds, has a convertible top for sunny days, great visibility and has taken a few complete knock-downs, without breaking/tearing.
As far as adding extra weight to the forward MBB, the 8 ounces of fiberglass rod, parachute cord, 3d printed parts and SilNylon fabric, weighed at the crank position, is hardly noticed.
I was able to re-adapt it from a T50 to the new Q45 with only one minor attachment modification at the handlebar in less than a half hour.
I can pack it into a 36"X3" mailing tube with room to spare. No go with a hard fairing...

I get a bit irritated at the moronic comments from the know-it-all's, that have no real world experience with wind/rain profiles or aerodynamics other than what they've experienced by sticking their hand out the window of a moving car. No, it can't fly, it's not a kite, a sail, a parachute or a replacement for sunscreen.
The most asked question is " don't you get pushed into traffic by the wind?"

Not yet...

Wind, (pressure differential compensation force), is predominately horizontal at ground level, the only fairing surface that can constantly "catch" this wind is the front fabric curve and the windscreen, and only affects forward effort, not steering. 'Sides, if the side wind is strong enough to blow the rain far in enough to get me wet, there ain't another cyclist anywhere to notice anyway. Trust me, Seattle is full of whimpy-a$$, radar app riders. And, that's 36 years of Seattle winter biking experience talking.
cid:bc9f05cb-246a-441d-acec-1484c66c00c1
That's pretty awesome Jon. I don't like wet biking... that's why my Q45 is still sitting pretty on the trainer. :)

Tortue

Hughes,
I sourced the fiberglass poles at Tap Plastics, pretty cheap too. They also stock yummy carbon fiber tubes as well $$$.
The connections are self designed and produced on my 3d printers. Happy to share the files if you want to reproduce any or all of it.
Same for anyone else out there with access to a 3d printer.
I've ordered some SilPoly fabric that won't get limp in the rain. I love the stretchy nature of the SilNylon I've been using, but it gets droopy when wet.

bret

I've upped the fiberglass rod diameter to 5/16"

That's 8mm, and I can get that here (kite shops!).

I'd like to make one of these - can you share your design?

I don't have a 3D printer, but someone from work may - any specific questions to ask them about feedstock or capabilities?

Also, (of immediate importance) what is the length and width of the roof panel, please?

Last edited: