first ride to work of 2020

3bs

whereabouts unknown
okay well we are in the start of a 3 week lock down in Michigan and a 2 week lock down in Indiana. But since i am the designated person for our office, i still get to go to work. so, i waited a couple extra hours till the sun was up and then rode in. its just 7 miles, but it was only 30 degrees, and i had the wrong gloves on. the feeling is already back in my fingers. the roads are still full of winter debris and chuckholes, so i rode slow.

at least there is this sliver lining about this little covid-19 mess. Since we are in lock down i wont be going anywhere so don't need my car at work, and no one is here so who cares if i am in riding clothes and am a little sweaty. maybe this will jump start my spring get in shape ritual.

the v20 was probably not the best choice. my trike with the windwrap fairing would have been a lot warmer. duh.

Attachments

• v20 and 11j.jpg
    v20 and 11j.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92

BJ686

Hope it starts to warm up! I noticed you added significant padding to raise the seat angle--how is that working out? (also, cool motorcycle in the background!)

3bs

whereabouts unknown
yeah. i ride year round if the roads and trails are clear, but mostly a trike or the t50, in the winter and i never get to ride to work as i have places to go and people to see.

the motorcycle is a harley 11J twin 1916. wonderful bike. dont ride it anymore, but it still runs good.

the seat wedge works really well. if i want to be at 20 degrees i just take it out. when its in, it tilts the top up. more like 30-35. lots cheaper than having an s and a v. one of these days i will get a thor extra large, but until then this is just fine. the ventisit is only a two ply, and its zip strapped at the bottom and shocked at the top, so it doesnt move around.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
@bladderhead pretty easy asnwers. it was a simple trade off in not riding anymore. when i got married, my wife allowed me to continue having fast cars, racing, taking 4x4's and 6x6's into the mountains, hiking and camping by myself, having fast boats, fast sailboats, fast watercraft, bicycling, mountain biking, knives, guns, whiskey, and all other sorts of speed and risk behavior. she has since allowed me to include our children in many of these pastimes. (not the whiskey). the only pastime she asked me to give up was riding motorcycles. She did not even prohibit me from owning them. so i sold my newest one and kept the old ones.

why own if you dont ride? i am a packrat by nature. and when it comes to old motorcycles, they are much smaller and cheaper to own and store than old cars. i keep three of them at my office so i can see them every day. they are functional art. their values are also less volatile than a 401k. vintage motorcycle values did not fall of the cliff last week. in recessions, borderline collectibles may ease back in value, but solid collectibles hold and sometimes go up. 1 105 year old Harley twin in very good shape that runs good is a solid collectible. and it keeps me connected to HD and the golden age of motorcycles.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
better gloves on the ride today. headwind, and still in the low 30's but glorious sun.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I think it’s good to ride your bike especially at this time of upset.

Today we had a fall in new infections in nsw. Australia. A glimmer of positivity. The measures here may be impacting the virus.

love your bike pics. Art.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
its always daytime somewhere. Einstein. what a guy. total hoot. smoked like chimney.

didn't ride in today, as its supposed to rain, and i just don't feel like riding in the rain. but ride home yesterday wasn't too bad. crosswind, but not knocking me around much.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46205986?privacy_code=ybob8yskKv62kygt

todays covid-19 antique motorcycle moment is a 1910 Thor. Thor was the product of Aurora Machine and Tool. They made a lot of parts for a lot of people, particularly Indian who they made parts and motors for before Indian had its own foundry. The carburetor on this bike actually atomizes the gas by use of a vibrating plate.

Attachments

• 1910  thor.jpg
    1910 thor.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32

super slim

Zen MBB Master
its always daytime somewhere. Einstein. what a guy. total hoot. smoked like chimney.

didn't ride in today, as its supposed to rain, and i just don't feel like riding in the rain. but ride home yesterday wasn't too bad. crosswind, but not knocking me around much.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46205986?privacy_code=ybob8yskKv62kygt

todays covid-19 antique motorcycle moment is a 1910 Thor. Thor was the product of Aurora Machine and Tool. They made a lot of parts for a lot of people, particularly Indian who they made parts and motors for before Indian had its own foundry. The carburetor on this bike actually atomizes the gas by use of a vibrating plate.
Where are the brakes!!?????????

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
You are lucky. If the police see me on a bike ... I get a fine. Let's pray that riding a bike in spain gets lifted soon!

The roads are so so quiet... it's just so tempting.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Todays covid -19 antique motorcycle moment is a 1928 Harley Davidson Model B. Introduced in 1926 it was the backbone of the exports to foreign markets where it was popular. the single cylinder lower displacement was taxed much lower than the big twins, and this was the favored bike of all deliverymen and commuters. amusingly, there are more of these surviving in Europe than in the states, but collectors dont seem to like them as much as the big twins. Wheels, fuel tank and fenders were pretty much the same as the big twins of the time, so the 21 cubic inch single sits small in the single down tube cradle frame. The single was also made in some OHV versions, but the OHV design was used on the 30.50 “Peashooter” track bike. originals of that bike are rare and expensive. my racer is a privateer road bike, said to have been raced on the east coast, i have been unable to find any documented provenance. It still has gears, a normal b engine with period upgrades to the carb and other parts, but not the tricky OHV. i have no idea why it doesnt have a front brake and when i am done with the restoration it will. The model b was also a very popular dirt flat track county fair racer, but those are all direct drive push starts. speaking of brakes, the B's were originally offered with a rear band brake only later a front brake was an option. you will see my street bike has one.

Attachments

• 28 hd b road.jpg
    28 hd b road.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • hd 28 b racer.JPG
    hd 28 b racer.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 26

3bs

whereabouts unknown
todays covid -19 antique motor cycle moment is a visit with the 1916 harley davidson 11j. this bike is actually is titled as a 1915 and it has some other things that done make sense. first it wears green paint, which really for 1916 and earlier should be grey. 1917 is when green took over. it has 1916 fenders, and tank, and kickstarter, no pedals, this is also the longer lower frame set of 1916. the block is a 1915 number. since i did not buy it new, and i do not know its full history, i cant say what is true or not true. the big twin is a 61 (989cc) with the 3 speed. retail price $295. top speed around 60 mph 50 mpg.

today's ride to work was in the cold, rain, and wind on the gts. slower and heavier than the v, but wonderful brainless trike riding

no politicians to be seen anywhere.

Attachments

• 11j.jpg
    11j.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 25
  • gts.jpg
    gts.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

super slim

Zen MBB Master
todays covid -19 antique motor cycle moment is a visit with the 1916 harley davidson 11j. this bike is actually is titled as a 1915 and it has some other things that done make sense. first it wears green paint, which really for 1916 and earlier should be grey. 1917 is when green took over. it has 1916 fenders, and tank, and kickstarter, no pedals, this is also the longer lower frame set of 1916. the block is a 1915 number. since i did not buy it new, and i do not know its full history, i cant say what is true or not true. the big twin is a 61 (989cc) with the 3 speed. retail price $295. top speed around 60 mph 50 mpg.

today's ride to work was in the cold, rain, and wind on the gts. slower and heavier than the v, but wonderful brainless trike riding

no politicians to be seen anywhere.
Is that a rear band brake I see?
Can you park the trike out of the rain, and away from the crowds of people?

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Yes it is. No front brake in 1916.

Yes, downtown is shut down, as is the building, so no crowds and I just put it in the lobby.