Flat

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I had a fall today, the front wheel seemed to just slide out. Checking the tire, it was about 1/2 inflated, probably 20 psi. It had been fully inflated before starting about 15 minutes prior, had been holding pressure well since the tube was put in last month. (I usually convert from tubeless in the fall when I transition to more indoor riding.) I checked out the tube and can't find any leak. I'm discarding it anyway, I can't trust it.
Hope you are OK Matthew - I've had falls like that in the past - always a flat tire in the front - or - slipping on sand or gravel around corners at hight speed.

JerseyJim

For those who run tubeless, has anyone tried the Vittoria Air Liner inserts? From the marketing info, it seems like a possible solution to the dangers of sudden deflation. I know they are expensive, but so is a doctor's visit. If they work as advertised it could be worth it.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For those who run tubeless, has anyone tried the Vittoria Air Liner inserts? From the marketing info, it seems like a possible solution to the dangers of sudden deflation. I know they are expensive, but so is a doctor's visit. If they work as advertised it could be worth it.
Yes, in fact, the build diary is going to explain this in the next few days (I've been on the road traveling that's why there haven't been post for week).

I got the inserts for only the front to avoid precisely what happened to Matt. All 3 of my major road rashs were caused like that. Once you are an excellent v20 pilot, you depend on the traction of the front wheel for balance. You really have to stop and think about how you ride these bike; traction is everything. So that sudden loss of pressure always causes a fall just like that.

It is not really the loss of steering; it's the sudden loss of traction that makes you simply lose your balance, almost like you got hip-checked by another bike. You go down because you're not expecting it. I've never fallen when I hit something. If I have an impact and get a flat, when the impact gets my attention and makes me go rigid, I say up and ride to a stop. When you are relaxed and fluidly pedal and the air is suddenly gone and the traction with it; ( can be on the straight or carving out a corner), you are on the ground before you know what happened.

Playing with the inserts, they really let the tire hold its SHAPE, and I expect it to let the tire have traction, unlike one slack on air. I tested riding on just the insert and no air; I found it three times more stable than a tire with 20 PSI. It was a pain in the tire wrench and messy also to install, but so far, I'm glad I did.
8B3EB9F7-7D4A-4804-80D6-48555921307A_1_105_c.jpeg073B6EE3-9281-45B3-B9BC-9926FA7616C1_1_105_c.jpeg

The last time I rode my V20 (around 4-5 months ago), I had a crash. I was a bit embarassed about it as I have ridden for a long time (DF) and rarely have crashes. I was not badly injured and managed to get the bike ridable and ride the 5kms home (luckily I was on the way back and close to home).

I had headed out in the light and came back in the dark, but I went further than normal and was riding on a road I don't like to ride in the dark. It is a major motorway in Sydney and it is very fast (normally average 25-30mph), and has no street lights and often lots of debris on the otherwise good road surface. I had a maybe 500 lumen light, and at that speed, you can't see obstacles until you have not much time to react. In this case I did not see the obstacle at all and just hit it without even realising I was about to hit at about 30mph. I still don't know what I hit. I had instant deflation of front tyre. I managed to keep it upright for a fair while to get down to around 10-15mph in a straight line. I then started to try to unclip my feet, and caused myself to lean a little one side, and I tried to correct with steering and had absolutely no traction so added more steering and just made the traction worse. I just kind of fell onto one side.

I have had front flats before and not gone down, but I think they were more gradual. I was a little shocked I fell as I had done well to get the speed down without falling. I think I pulled a little brake and the damaged rim caught the pads and locked up causing the loss of traction?

It turns out I smashed my front rim. I was able to put a tube in and get home, but had to do so at low speed as the rim was badly damaged and touching the rim brakes even with them fully opened. The main reason I have not ridden the bike in a while is because I went on a long overseas holiday and was waiting for a replacement rim. Bike is almost on the road again now. Just got the wheel sorted. The bike is remarkably unscathed, but just needs some bar tape replaced and a couple scratches polished off my tail box. Should be riding it again soon.

I will not be riding that road in dark conditions again. I had a few close calls previously, and should have learned from them before learning the hard way. For some reason with me, riding slow when I am aiming for an average speed target does not compute!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Basically, if a tubeless tire is a pig to put on then it's a pig to take off. I have had a front flat many times but fortunately I have saved myself all but once. If you have carbon rims then it's like hitting ice... no forgiveness if your rim hits the tarmac.

I replace the sealant every 6 months.

The time I came off , I just had road rash and the bike was OK at 30 kph.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Yes, in fact, the build diary is going to explain this in the next few days (I've been on the road traveling that's why there haven't been post for week).

I got the inserts for only the front to avoid precisely what happened to Matt. All 3 of my major road rashs were caused like that. Once you are an excellent v20 pilot, you depend on the traction of the front wheel for balance. You really have to stop and think about how you ride these bike; traction is everything. So that sudden loss of pressure always causes a fall just like that.

It is not really the loss of steering; it's the sudden loss of traction that makes you simply lose your balance, almost like you got hip-checked by another bike. You go down because you're not expecting it. I've never fallen when I hit something. If I have an impact and get a flat, when the impact gets my attention and makes me go rigid, I say up and ride to a stop. When you are relaxed and fluidly pedal and the air is suddenly gone and the traction with it; ( can be on the straight or carving out a corner), you are on the ground before you know what happened.

Playing with the inserts, they really let the tire hold its SHAPE, and I expect it to let the tire have traction, unlike one slack on air. I tested riding on just the insert and no air; I found it three times more stable than a tire with 20 PSI. It was a pain in the tire wrench and messy also to install, but so far, I'm glad I did.
View attachment 16187View attachment 16188
I hope you will be able to provide us more on the install process. Perhaps some insights on how to best deal with the 'mess' and tricks to getting it all together. We, your padawan younglings await your instruction, Master. :)

JerseyJim

Since there seems to be some interest, here's a good road.cc YouTube video on the Vittoria Air Liner, with installation, test, and ride impressions. The install process looks to be tedious, however, if it can save you from a fall, it might be worth it.

Sorry Matt... I almost went down a couple years ago when I had a front tire loose pressure. I have since been always running a sealant in the front tube. Running sealant has saved me more than once since.