Front Disk

Rick Harker

YES!

I've put a disk brake system on my Sofrider V2.

The bracket adapter is for a rear setup.

I've used the Avid BB7 for its versatile setup although I had to put a couple of small washers between the frame (bike) mounts to get the adjustment close to middle.

The reason for this setup is so I can quickly change between a 700 c wheel for road riding or a versatile 26 inch wheel for general use. Changing time is approximately 2 minutes. The other reasons for this choice is easy cable length versus Hydraulic hose length. Hydraulic brakes come with front or rear setups that are neither suitable for the Cruzbike.

Mine are 160 mm disks and stop much better than the standard v brakes.

Regards,

Rick.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Wow, Rick,

You have no idea how helpful this info is.

Do you know if your disc is 140 or 160mm? Do you have any idea what the stacked thickness of the washers you used is?

Excellent, excellent, excellent!

Rick Harker

Hi Doug,

The disk is 160 mm, standard iso 6 bolt pattern. The caliper is an Avid BB7 and the mounting bracket has to be for a rear mount (standard bike speaking that is).

I have added 1.5 mm washers between the mount and the caliper to bring the adjusting screws in a central position. Without the washers there is little room left for adjustment. Setup with these is a cinch and takes 2 minutes because they are self centering using concave/convex washers. Both inbound and outbound brake pads are adjustable to get the right feel.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Regards,

Rick.

Ps. How did you do in the MS ride?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Very cool, Rick.

;)

This is the future of my bike as well.
:cool:
Hey, is there any chance that this thread can be pinned?
It's kind of important, you know?
:!:
-Steve

With the front disk you do not get wear on the rim and in wet conditions much better stopping capacity. I might also get one in the future it is good to know which one that fits. :)

Well done.

Peder

JonB

Zen MBB Master
What about the rear wheel? I ordered a SON, but i didnt order any disk. Lately i feel i take longer time stopping. Either my brakes arent working as good as before, or i go faster.

Rick Harker

Disk on the rear wheel... Attractive but may be too powerful. At the moment I hardly use the rear brake and have Schwalbe slick tyres fitted.

I've been experimenting (as one does with new toys) with the braking capacity of the disk brake. I've been using a local hill and traveling down at 65 Km/h then applying the brakes progressively until I can hear the rubber tearing on the asphalt before the wheel totally locks up. The braking power is tremendous even without the rear brake but I also need to question the forces on the spokes trying to separate the hub from the rim.
Normally you won't be braking like this and after a few tests of this nature you'll know the worth of your wheels.

The braking action is smooth and very light, much like that of a hydraulic brake but I must admit that its much better than my Shimano unit on my flat bar road bike.

The other advantage as previously mentioned is that I can change the wheels over to a 700 size wheel with a disk. Too easy.

Regards,

Rick.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Do you think that a shimano rollerbrake will give the same ammount of braking power?

Rick Harker

There is no direct answer to the Shimano hub brake.
Its the same system used in cars before disk brakes. A cam actuates a brake pad that causes friction onto a drum.
The size of the drum and friction material coupled with the amount of leverage = stopping power.
There would be pros and cons for every system.
Other points:
Both are good wet or dry.
Both need special hubs.
Hub brakes are not prone to damage.
Servicing. With the disk system you can get various pad materials and the BB7 doesn't need tools to change pads.
Spares availability? Disk brakes nearly anywhere. Shimano?
With the disk setup you can mount a larger diameter disk for even greater stopping power.
Many other points too I'm sure.
Rim brakes/v brakes are still by far the simplest if the components are good and your wheels are smooth. Pads for these are everywhere.
The disk is a good solution for me and I'm more than happy with it.
Could be made an option for the Silvio I think.

Rick.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I guess the reason for a rear disk is too match the front, specially if wheels swapping is going on. :) But just a 140mm disk ought to be enough on the back. :cool:

Rick Harker

More than enough I think John.
Just a 160 dia. on the front stops faster and with less hand pressure. I hardly use the rear at all except certain situations. Its more for a stability situation.
Thinking again for the Silvio it may be overkill with regards to the bike's intended use.
For regular commuting use on the Sofrider or Freerider the disk is great.

Whilst investigating the Avid disk brakes the BB5 will also work well bearing in mind the differences would be slightly smaller pads and no inbound adjustment. This would result in adjusting the caliper when the inbound pad wears (eventually). No big deal really.

Rick.

Atlatl

Hey Rick; I'm having my LBS install an '08' Avid bb7 mech disc brake system I bought through Amazon fm 'Greenfish' on my new Freerider and I guess as they say (LBS)it's neccessary to replace the front wheel to get that six bolt pattern hub for the disc to bolt to. I don't see where you may have mentioned that. Maybe it's just to obvious; HA If that's what it takes I suppose it's as required. Just thought I'd ck to see what you did. I know it needs the hub but I hoped it mught be an add on instead of new wheel. Your rig looked and sounded so slick and functionally competant I felt it was a most worthy modification. Thanks
Hope to get some pic's when finished but have to get camera to shop also.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I'm gathering parts to do this conversion now.

I ordered these wheels:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-08-WTB-Speed-Disc-ATB-Wheel-Set-Disc-Off-Road-Pr_W0QQitemZ380063303657QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380063303657&_trkparms=72%3A1207%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

and I'm using this brake set:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23769&subcategory_ID=5222

The wheels were selected in part because they use ball bearings which will accept the rear axle swap (my Sofrider Proto uses the 146mm rear axle) and the price is hard to beat, ditto on th brake set.

I intend to make an adapter for the rear caliper; this will be tricky for the V1 because the rear dropout has a bend in the middle; the V2 dropout is flat and should be easier.

Atlatl

Wow Doug; That's a great price on two complete sets front and rear even down to the cables and levers. Mine is Avid Ball Bearing 7 Mechanical Disc Brakes, 08 , Rear 160mm- - I just really liked the "Avid' system and engineering; All I had read and what Ric described was so positive but your system looks hard to beat. Those wheels look really great to for the pair at that price. My new one alone runs about $65.. I should have it back in a couple days. Don't have the tools required but would've enjoyed to do the work myself. I still don't know yet if I'll have to replace cable. Getting Delta anti-theft skewers installed while I'm at it. I think if (maybe when) I have a sofrider (mine is a Freerider), I might install fr. & rear disc brakes as well. I might even start fm scratch and build up from a kit if I find a good starter bike or frame since at this point at least there are no sofriders available. As you are buying the complete set-up for disc brake conversion, will the installation on both be reversed? In other words, does the front set fit on the rear as well as the rear set onto the front or will it require some engineering modification? Just curious for future ref.

MailSeanBell

Hardtailcruzer wrote: I'm gathering parts to do this conversion now.

and I'm using this brake set:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23769&subcategory_ID=5222

Hey Doug,
Do you know if this set would mount directly onto the freerider V2?

sean

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Me Likey...

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

The rear will be a challenge - the bend in the middle of the dropout will make the adapter block kinda trickey...

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

Sean, I think the V2 rear mount would be a lot easier, but still not a bolt-on.

The front is a direct bolt-on.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
maiz wrote: it is hard to judge by the pics but will it accomodate 203mm discs?
There was never any answer to this question. Anyway, i do have a 203mm disc on my Rohloff, but i am yet to get the actual brake installed because my mechanic couldnt get the 203 mm disc brake he had lying to fit. I think it may not have been a 203mm brake. But i would like to hear if a 203mm disc brake would fit or not.