Front Disk

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
maiz wrote: it is hard to judge by the pics but will it accomodate 203mm discs?
There was never any answer to this question. Anyway, i do have a 203mm disc on my Rohloff, but i am yet to get the actual brake installed because my mechanic couldnt get the 203 mm disc brake he had lying to fit. I think it may not have been a 203mm brake. But i would like to hear if a 203mm disc brake would fit or not.

The dropouts are intnded for a rwd bike so you need a caliper adapter for a rear 203 disk.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote:
JonB wrote:
maiz wrote: it is hard to judge by the pics but will it accomodate 203mm discs?
There was never any answer to this question. Anyway, i do have a 203mm disc on my Rohloff, but i am yet to get the actual brake installed because my mechanic couldnt get the 203 mm disc brake he had lying to fit. I think it may not have been a 203mm brake. But i would like to hear if a 203mm disc brake would fit or not.

The dropouts are intnded for a rwd bike so you need a caliper adapter for a rear 203 disk.
Okay, i told my mecanic that. I noticed that my handlebar brake lever has a sticker saying "attention, for V-brakes only". Do i really need a new brake lever?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Jon,

The cable pull distance for V-brakes and mechanical discs is the same.

That little label is a generic one to provent people from using the levers with cantilever brakes or road calipers, which use a different pull ratio.

I use the same levers for my dics SR proto that I used with it when it had the original V-brakes.

Have fun,

Doug

JonB

Zen MBB Master
I FINALLY got the rear caliper adapter for a 203 mm disk, and it does brake very well. I can brake both softer and harder. Do i have to worry that the bike will break down if i BRAKE? it sure feels like it.

I upgraded my Sofrider V1 with a front Avid BB7 2009 185mm disc brake.
I had to make a stainless steel plate to mount between the mount on the fork. I used it as a spacer so now it fits very well. Without the plate the distance and angel was not right.

Peder

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Peder Torgersen wrote: I upgraded my Sofrider V1 with a front Avid BB7 2009 185mm disc brake.
I had to make a stainless steel plate to mount between the mount on the fork. I used it as a spacer so now it fits very well. Without the plate the distance and angel was not right.

Peder
If you use a rear disk caliper i think the it will fit, mine did, and then you dont have to make a spacer or plate. see also in this thread "Post by johntolhurst on 26 Jan 2009, 23:44"

pertinax56

Can anyone recommend a hub I could use to rebuild my front wheel (to get the flange)? I have the Avid BB7, and have tried to figure this out through internet research, but still not clear what to do/buy. Does it have to be "shimano/deore" compatible?

Or would this work:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=31056

They only speak French at my LBS, and they find my SR "tres interresant" but otherwise we have some language difficulties. My French vocabulary for bikes parts is weak.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Palmer
Paris, France

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
pertinax52 wrote: Can anyone recommend a hub I could use to rebuild my front wheel (to get the flange)? I have the Avid BB7, and have tried to figure this out through internet research, but still not clear what to do/buy. Does it have to be "shimano/deore" compatible?

Or would this work:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=31056

They only speak French at my LBS, and they find my SR "tres interresant" but otherwise we have some language difficulties. My French vocabulary for bikes parts is weak.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Palmer
Paris, France
That looks like it will work. The hub should be shimano compatible for 8 speed and disk.