Gearing

Gofer

Has anyone put a 1x12 38T crank and 10x50 SRAM eagle cassette on a Q-45 for better hill climbing?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
No, but I've put various other gearing on Silvio S30s or S30s.
Currently I have a 9-50 e*thirteen cassette on my S30, and have used it with a 34t front crank, which I'll be changing to a 44t crank.
Again, this is on an S30.

I find that gearing much lower than 34(front)36(rear) ends up in wheel slippage instead of anything beneficial (if I need gearing that low, the front becomes unloaded and has less traction).
If you have a more smooth pedal stroke, this may be different for you, and YMMV as riders and bikes are different!

Gofer

I am courious with say 30-40lbs of touring gear and biking up to the blue ridge mountain parkway on the Transamerica bike route.It is very steep and lots of hills.I did it on my tour easy but had to push up every hill .That’s why I am considering the Q-45 Cruzbike with that type of gearing

On my V20, I'm very happy with a SRAM Eagle 10x52 paired with 46 chainring. That gives a minimum gear-inches 23.63, making a speed of 5.6 mph at 80 rpm. For an extended loaded climb like you're likely to encounter on the BRP, I'd like to be able to spin at 80 rpm at my lowest sustainable speed. So I think I'd opt for a 38 (Rotor's smallest direct mount chainring), giving a speed of 4.7 @ 80 rpm and a stall speed of 3.5 @ 60 rpm. 650b tires on the Q45 will give a slightly lower speed at that cadence. http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence
BTW, my top-end speed is 45 mph at 120 rpm.
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 9.25.13 PM.png

I am courious with say 30-40lbs of touring gear and biking up to the blue ridge mountain parkway on the Transamerica bike route.It is very steep and lots of hills.I did it on my tour easy but had to push up every hill .That’s why I am considering the Q-45 Cruzbike with that type of gearing
I suppose you've read these reports:
Of course, they were not carrying touring gear.

Gofer

I did read these reports.I will have to buy the Q-45 and give it a try.Thank you for your input

2whluge

I am running a 38 ring with a 11-42 cassette and it was barely enough on RAGBRAI. I’ll probably change to the 11-50 in ‘23. But, can you spin fully loaded and stay upright on a CB? Inquiring minds want to know.

Gofer

Personally myself I don’t know.I test rode a Q-45 in Portland after my trip but did not travel any hills ,just the parking lot .Then test rode one in Seattle.I love recumbents my shoulders and neck get sore in the first 10 miles on a diamond frame .I apply Voltarin 2times a day on a 50-70 mile ride . On the recumbent no soreness at all

can you spin fully loaded and stay upright on a CB?
It’s on my bucket list. For now I must be satisfied by touring vicariously with such reports as these:
I was fortunate to speak with the Byrnes at a Cruzbike Retreat. I didn’t ask that question. What’s the slowest you can ride a loaded Cruzbike without toppling over.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
It’s on my bucket list. For now I must be satisfied by touring vicariously with such reports as these:
I was fortunate to speak with the Byrnes at a Cruzbike Retreat. I didn’t ask that question. What’s the slowest you can ride a loaded Cruzbike without toppling over.

Depends on the rider, and weight distribution for your equipment.
For me on my tour earlier this year, I could do:
- around 2 mph on a wide road where I can swing the handlebars a bunch without fear
- 3mph when "white-line riding" with limited swings of the handlebars
- 3.5 to 4mph+ comfortably

I generally walk at 2-3mph, so.. if you're going that slow, it is a reasonable tradeoff to walk the bike anyway.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Depends on the rider, and weight distribution for your equipment.
For me on my tour earlier this year, I could do:
- around 2 mph on a wide road where I can swing the handlebars a bunch without fear
- 3mph when "white-line riding" with limited swings of the handlebars
- 3.5 to 4mph+ comfortably

I generally walk at 2-3mph, so.. if you're going that slow, it is a reasonable tradeoff to walk the bike anyway.
Wow that's really impressive balancing! I think 4.5mph is my scary limit that I need a lot of road space to swing around! :)

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
On my V20, I'm very happy with a SRAM Eagle 10x52
@Mathew Fy did you have to do anything special with the RD, i.e. file anything down or get any special doodad to get the Eagle GX RD to work on V20? Or you just took the current RD off the hanger and put the new RD on? Of course the shifter, etc. had to match as well. Thanks.
Michael

@Mathew Fy did you have to do anything special with the RD, i.e. file anything down or get any special doodad to get the Eagle GX RD to work on V20? Or you just took the current RD off the hanger and put the new RD on? Of course the shifter, etc. had to match as well. Thanks.
Michael
I had to turn the B screw all the way in. It broke on me once, so I bought a couple strong ones, keeping a spare in my bag. Interestingly I’ve since moved the set-up to my V20c where the derailleur hanger stopper is further back. The B screw is fully retracted. As for shifters I’m using the electronic ones and can say that road ETAP AXS brifters work with the XX1 Eagle AXS derailleur. Mix & match with SRAM’s cabled systems requires some work arounds.

Gofer

Hello I have a 2022 Q-45 it came with the stock gearing 42tooth chain ring 11-42 cassette,works well on the flats the hills were another thing .I put a 36 tooth chainring on that helped but still hill climbing is tough on 10-12% climbs .I figured I am at 23 gear inches. The Q starts to bounce at 4-3.5 mph makes it hard to pedal and have to stop . Breathing very hard anyway and legs need a break.A fellow told me I need to get down to 16 gear inches with a touring load of 30 lbs .My max speed on the flat is 25mph .Before I spend a bunch of money on gearing I would like to know some other peoples thoughts .I love the 1x system.I am in pretty good body condition.I bike the southern tier last Feb and March we modified the route to avoid Texas hill country stayed farther south .The 36 chainring work well .Now in Vancouver BC lots of hills I need some help thanks

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What's the capacity of your rear Derailleur? If you don't know just post the model or a picture of it.

I'm thinking that a wolf-tooth goat or road link adapter and a e-thirteen wide trade cassette would get you the gearing you want both high and low.

Gofer

Not sure which photo is the most beneficial.I can send more if needed thanks Greg

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Option 1 - chain out the cassette to this:
https://www.ethirteen.com/collectio...ix-r-11-speed-cassette?variant=32904445526119
wheel would have to be converted at XD or XDR which can be done for most wheels for cheap; then you could put a smaller front ring on and keep your top end while adding a lot more climbing

Option 2: add this cassette:

https://www.rei.com/product/215388/..._dh1zLq4kGmNIksMXbIaAgwTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And add this for the derailleur so it can handle the extra teeth
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/derailleurlinks/products/goatlink-11

I'd do option 1, the cassette because more durable and not that much more expensive.