Getting Off the Fence

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The V20 is my replacement for my "go fast" bike, a Tarmac Pro. It has definitely solved the problems with hand, wrist, and neck pain from riding the Tarmac. The V20 is a keeper. It is so comfortable that I think I could fall asleep on it if I did not need to pedal. It is great to get out on the open road and just cruise. In city traffic, not so good.

So now I need a replacement for my commuter bike, which is a well used hybrid (not a road bike, not a mountain bike, sort of a mix of the two). I am thinking of an S40. I would need to hop curbs, sometimes take some gravel and dirt paths, and weave through small city traffic. Oh, and lets not forget about all the rain we get in the PNW. And I like to go fast (which is probably painfully slow for you all).

Or maybe I should ride the "V" for another season, and by that time maybe I will be more confident riding in traffic. I feel totally silly driving to the gym, but I am not comfortable riding the "V" in traffic, and my commuter bike is hurting my hands and wrists.

Any comments?
I think the S40 would be a MUCH better option for commuting, OR touring, with 700* 38 tyres, for suspension!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Rohloff, Nuvinci; not worth the hassle will not really work well on an S30/V20
I second that. If you want extra suspension go with the new Silvio... you can fit bigger tires on 28mm+.

The best idea is to keep the front light and easy to control. Just go with something easy and next year upgrade to the new hydraulic deurallier 1x13 speed drive chain from Rotor. As it's hydraulic you will never have to keep adjusting and having to recharge batteries. And it's awsome light. :rolleyes:

(I can see next year's budget disappearing)

bret

I would need to hop curbs, sometimes take some gravel and dirt paths, and weave through small city traffic.

Perhaps something that can accommodate 2" tires for the suspension effect. You can't stand up to absorb the impacts with your knees, or let the front wheel/back wheel rock around the pedal axles with a recumbent.

Schwalbe has proof that big low pressure tires have less rolling resistance than those oh-so-popular narrow "racing" tires of yesteryear, as do several racers. That also probably means something with disc brakes.

Rod Butler

I am thinking of an S40. I would need to hop curbs, sometimes take some gravel and dirt paths, and weave through small city traffic. Oh, and lets not forget about all the rain we get in the PNW. And I like to go fast (which is probably painfully slow for you all)...........

Hopping up curbs probably not a good idea on the S40 (if it can be done?). Down is just ok.
Gravel, dirt, speed and rain performance will depend on the tires and pressure choice
on the S40 more than any other bike in my experience. I won't bore you with my theories on that but...

...I currently run with 700c x 38mm gravel friendly tires at about 75psi and have met all your
requirements pretty well and covered a lot of miles with a loaded touring setup.

In London traffic I usually have one foot clipped in for quick starts
and the other foot on the shoe side of the pedal for quick stops!

Rod Butler

I have a Rolhoff on my S40 with no hassle, I put up with the Extra weight up front to gain
just a little more traction, which is where the control issues arise for me.
However it's in my touring life that I just love the fact that there is zero maintenance.

rx7mark

Guru
The V20 is my replacement for my "go fast" bike, a Tarmac Pro. It has definitely solved the problems with hand, wrist, and neck pain from riding the Tarmac. The V20 is a keeper. It is so comfortable that I think I could fall asleep on it if I did not need to pedal. It is great to get out on the open road and just cruise. In city traffic, not so good.

So now I need a replacement for my commuter bike, which is a well used hybrid (not a road bike, not a mountain bike, sort of a mix of the two). I am thinking of an S40. I would need to hop curbs, sometimes take some gravel and dirt paths, and weave through small city traffic. Oh, and lets not forget about all the rain we get in the PNW. And I like to go fast (which is probably painfully slow for you all).

Or maybe I should ride the "V" for another season, and by that time maybe I will be more confident riding in traffic. I feel totally silly driving to the gym, but I am not comfortable riding the "V" in traffic, and my commuter bike is hurting my hands and wrists.

Any comments?
An S40 or a T50 make a great commuter, except for the hopping curbs part. I am PNW also but only ride when its dry. I have not been caught in the rain unexpectedly yet, but plan on mounting fenders soon. A little gravel is not a problem, with my 1.9 tires, as long as you go sort of slow. I would recommend tubeless for a commuter, I took a nail, pulled it out, and road home, and only lost 5psi. I am using Michelin Protek 1.85, but they have a 1.4 also. Note they run a little bigger than listed. They are listed as Tubeless ready and work well with my WTB rims and TruckerCo cream sealant. The tires are not the most compliant however, but work well for commuting at 40-45psi.

Mark

benphyr

Guru-me-not
So now I need a replacement for my commuter bike... I am thinking of an S40. I would need to hop curbs, sometimes take some gravel and dirt paths, and weave through small city traffic. Oh, and lets not forget about all the rain we get in the PNW. And I like to go fast (which is probably painfully slow for you all).
I agree with what @Robert Holler said earlier "V = racer, S40 = Tour/Commuter". Both the new S40 and Q45 have many mount points for fenders, suspension on the Q makes it almost easy to go down curbs - nothing Cruzbike goes up them without being able to bunny hop but every model is well worth the exchange. I rode a conversion kit with only 1.75" tires for suspension and now ride a QX100 with 1.5" tires and rear suspension and both will go over most anything and are fine on gravel such as rail trails but might be a little more challenging on logging roads or real country gravel roads (not tried on Cruzbike but greatly experienced growing up with mountain bikes, etc. )
There are plenty of us painfully-slow-dreaming-of-being-speed-deamons...
For me Commuter = fenders. Others still think you are crazy to ride when you are perfectly comfortable.

Don't rule out a Q for commuting. They are tough and there are lots out there to try - you won't mind putting fender and racks on it so much ;0)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I think the NEW Q45 with the stiff S40/V20 front triangle, and a rear AIR shocker to allow dropping off curbs, could be answer.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
For touring on a Silvio - no complaints, although I do not go long enough distances to call it "touring". Silvio is okay on slightly rough roads, but not as good as a bike with springs. Silvio cannot carry much unless you modify it. If I want to carry enormous sacks of spuds and bounce up and down I use my Grasshopper.

benphyr said:
For me Commuter = fenders
I insist on mudguards. I insist on calling them mudguards. I had enormous hassle fitting them on the Silvio. Now the Silvio's tyres cannot be bigger than 25mm.

You can get a Cruzbike with springs, bags, mudguards and wide tyres. I wanted one with a straight boom rather than a handlebar stem. My Silvio is slower than a Vendetta, but faster than my Grasshopper.

Silvio as a commuter is hampered by the fact that it is so hard to lean forward on it or get it up kerbs. Leaning forward in the seat makes low-speed manoevering so much easier. I cut the boom of my Silvio, which allowed me to have the handlebars a long way forward and made leaning forward easy. It also had the unexpected side-effect of making kerb-crawling a doddle. Easier than the Grasshopper. I do mileage in London traffic, in underpasses, in the park - I ride it like a despatch rider, but I nearly forgot how awkward it used to be leaning forward or getting up kerbs. These are important for a commuter.

If you want to use the Silvio for commuting, cut the boom.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I have a V20 and an S40. The S40 is set up for commuting and getting around town, hauling light loads. But I have many, many more miles and a lot more time on the V20. Traffic-wise, I can take it anywhere the S40 can go with no problems. It wasn't that way at first; I was nervous and wobbly. With time, however, that settled down and navigating traffic is now not much different than on a DF bike. Just don't be tempted to zip past cars on the right to catch a green light. I've had a couple of close calls doing that, so now I wait in line with all the slow cars, watching lights that I could have caught green turn yellow, then red. Stupid cars.

I like having both the V20 and S40, but if you keep putting time in on the V, you should get to a point where traffic is easy enough to manage.

GetBent

Thanks for the responses. Lots to think about. I wonder if the S40 is too much like the V20, perhaps making it more bike that I need for commuting. Guess we will need to wait and see what the new S40 is like. I am also taking a second look at the Q45. The problem with the Q45 for me is twofold: weight, and not available as frame set only.

GetBent

Recently installed this. Helps me keep an eye on Joe Six Pack in his jacked up pick um up truck. The problem, it looks ugly, makes it impossible to just open the hatch of
the Escape and load the V20 in, and I keep bumping it into things. I suspect I will break it before summer is over. Seems to help me in city traffic, most of which is on my way out of town to get to rural areas. After using it for a while, I think a mirror mounted up higher would be easier to use.

IMG_0539.JPG.jpg

IMG_0538.JPG.jpg

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Hi GetBent,

I had a Quest (the Q45's predecessor) before building up my S40. The Quest was really heavy, but since I only used it for flat commuting, I didn't mind too much. Then the S40 came out. I sold the Quest, bought the S40, and have been a happier camper ever since. Right after I built up the S40, CB announced the Q45, "coming soon." I was nervous that I would want it more than the S40. But when I saw how similar it was to the Quest, I thought "whew. The S40 is it." The S40 has enough tire clearance to run nice, big, cushy tires that I run tubeless at about 40psi (I use 42c Panaracer Gravel Kings). The lack of rear suspension isn't an issue. While I said earlier that I can go just about anywhere in town on my V20, I will add that the S40 is still a noticeably different and easier-to-handle ride, especially at lower speeds. I have to pay more attention on the V20.

I use Zefal Spy mirrors, left and right, on all three of my CBs (I have a S30 as well). These mirrors are great because they are small, out of the way, and durable. I strap them on near the bend in the handlebar, allowing me to still grip the brake hoods as an alternative hand position.

GetBent

Looks like I will need to wait for more info on the S40.

Meanwhile, a few winter projects for the "V":

1) Experiment with different mirrors.
2) Another headrest mod. (It is actually quite comfy now, but want to reshape it so that it cradles my head more, so less likely to roll off to one side.)
3) Get a small chain stay. (Info on this forum indicates that it will improve handling.)
4) Investigate smaller diameter wheels to allow wider tires for winter riding. (Current winter tires are 700x28)