"hack" for keeping Radical Design banana racers away from wheel

AbramClark

For a long time I just made sure each bag was full enough, frequently stuffing an unnecessary extra layer on each side to keep them from rubbing. I finally got tired of that and figured out a really simple way to cinch the bags more when they're mostly empty: simply tie a very small loop of chord through the webbing loop the outer buckle is attached to, and then put the lower half of the cinch buckle through the loop for extra compression, leaving the upper half of the cinch buckle unattached.

I consider this to be a design flaw in the bag, because when the buckle is fully tightened when the bag is empty, it's still completely loose, and leaves the outer part of the bag hanging well below the foam inserts. This problem could've easily been avoided by moving the top half of the zipper cinch buckle a few inches higher, in place of where the extra support buckle is. I've experimented with suspending the bag from this outer support buckle, and it blocks the mesh pocket with the webbing, and compresses the entire bag contents against the frame, making it IMO a useless buckle as it is.

First picture shows how the loose bag hangs next to the tire, allowing it to rub whenever the bike leans. Second pic shows the loop, and then third picture with the buckle inserted for extra compression. Last photo shows how the bag is incapable of reaching the tire after being cinched just a few more inches. You can also see my string tied between the frame around the seat, for keeping the end of the bag away from the spokes.

2018-04-14 11.16.04.jpg 2018-04-14 11.16.11.jpg 2018-04-14 11.16.37.jpg 2018-04-14 11.15.23-2.jpg

This problem can be mitigated by moving the bags higher and farther back instead, but I prefer to have the weight in the bags as low and forward as possible. Also, once they're that much farther back, the back ends tend to interfere with the spokes a lot more when fully packed, so you're just trading one problem for another.

This hack led me to the idea of a more minimalist buckle system that's essentially a very large button, that would be a lot easier to open and close one handed while riding. Perhaps I should design my own minimalist banana style bags for the Silvio, with cuben fiber gridstop fabric.

Thoughts? Would like to hear about other people's under seat bag troubles and solutions.

AbramClark

Some more things I'd like to modify on the Radical Design Racers: make the mesh pocket slope downwards more. Although things have never fallen out of the pockets on me, I'm always concerned about it, especially smooth things like credit cards and phones without cases and so I often take precautions by stuffing extra stuff in to hold things in place.

I would like longer cinch straps, and a simple system to stow the loose ends. I'd like to have the option to stuff a bag larger than the Racer inside by leaving the zipper open and holding it in with the straps. I'd prefer two smaller buckles on each end, arranged like their larger bags. With the Banana Mediums I can carry huge loads with this method; easily two full grocery bags on each side, or parcel boxes significantly larger than the bags.

So to summarize all the changes I'm thinking of:

* Remove outer support buckle, replace with simple loop a third from front end
* Remove upper cinch buckle entirely
* Replace lower half of cinch buckle with just a webbing tensioner, that could be passed through the loop above like a button
* Add another strap with tensioner / button a third from rear
* And buttons or velcro on ends of cinch straps to secure the extra webbing when bag is mostly empty and fully compressed
* Move opening of mesh pocket higher / smaller, and possibly make it elastic
* Replace heavy fabric with lighter but durable + waterproof cuben fiber gridstop with seam seals
* Experiment with replacing foam insert with something stiffer (maybe coroplast?)

I can easily imagine bags that are lighter, carry far more in a pinch, and are water proof.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Go with banana racers they are too small to rub anything the wrong way . Worked on vendetta. Light fast and no rubbing.

AbramClark

Those are the Banana Racers on my Silvio, as I wrote in my original post and even in the title of the thread.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Those are the Banana Racers on my Silvio, as I wrote in my original post and even in the title of the thread.

Lol look before I trip fall whoops....sorry Abram I guess I’m putting that banana in my pipe and smokin it.

On the other hand if you purchased a vendetta the rub and trip would be over faster.

Sorry I find the bags well made expensive bits of gear and use plastic bags dry bags for waterproofing. I’m just glad they exist despite every bags limitations.

You could have your own design made too. As you also illuded to in your post.

There are quite a few threads here on forum regarding luggage storage and the accessories store has some options too.

Very interesting. I've no experience yet of the bananananana bags on my S40, but have a long summer tour planned where they will supplement my panniers, or perhaps even replace them if I can get everything in there.

I'm not sure which mine are as they don't have the mesh pockets that are on all of the current lineup, and no internal stiffening.

Can you post a pic of the internal foam stiffeners in yours? That's one of the things that's bugged me, the general lack of any structure at all.

AbramClark

...where they will supplement my panniers, or perhaps even replace them

I can squeeze my bivy bag and ground pad between the seat pan and the frame, and I tie my sleeping bag behind the top of the seat. So these bags are plenty for the remaining spare clothes and food and misc. for touring.

Can you post a pic of the internal foam stiffeners in yours?

They're sewn into the inside panel, and aren't visible at all.

counterpoint

Thanks, I was looking for a solution here. I rubbed a bad hole into mine (had to be somewhere fast and could not stop to fiddle with it).
The non existing carrying capacity of the Silvio has often caused me not to use it for daily errands.

BikeGary

I have a Silvo 30, and I mounted a light weight both carrying capacity (14 lbs) and the rack itself. Holds a trunk bag very easily. Mostly because I am using my bike to commute and I want the bag to be easy on/off and easily accessible while out riding. I suppose I could just have bought an under seat bag but they didn't look like they would mount/unmount as quickly or easily.

https://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/rear-rack-for-s30-for-a-trunk-bag.11924/